Sansui G-801, wasn't too much to do to it - yet.

jedo1507r

Recently stumbled across this forum and found it to be quite useful!

I walked into a Goodwill last week looking for an adaptor for an LCD panel - but when I walked in, my mom and I saw that monster! The G-801 was powered up and to test it, it drove a couple of crapshoot Soundesign tower speakers, A and B sets worked; the tuner section worked and the volume control has very minor static - and that the previous owner damaged the wood-veneer case with a couple of blunt dings, faceplate in great shape. Only things I had to replace were the dial lamps, since the meter lamps do work. The amp had a sticker of $50, but with appropriate discounts, just knocked off the tax and a half-percent (damn 9.5% city sales tax) - scraping it just at $49.28. I think they weigh these things and use eBay to price them.

All of the info I came across on the web was that the bulbs were 8.2~8.4 Volts, 300mA. But I wanted to find a readily available substitute. Since there is an RS nearby, I bought a four pack of small lamp holders and two screw-on 7.6V/250mA bright flashlight lamps (I think, but I'm not near the packaging) and soldered it up and cut a part of the factory rubber fittings. This receiver now looks great! :yes:

Because of its age, I know most/all the Caps. are going to fail sooner or later, but are some of these caps readily available?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom