Sansui G-901 ~ Extremely Impressed After Near Disaster

Hotrocker

I really need to frequent this forum more often after a near disaster with my G-901. I purchased the unit from a landfill attendant that saw it rolling through in "Toy Story 3" fashion last summer. The cord was cut, which was an ominous sign that there might be something really dramatic going on. Took it home for $300....

Long story short, other than a offset & bias calibration it couldn't perform any better.

Now for the mishap, the manual suggests turning the bias pot fully counter clockwise is the lower end of the spectrum for current. So, without confirming, that's what I did. Powered it up and for about 5 minutes messed with the DC offset, and then moved onto the bias. I actually can't remember the reading because I panicked and was in shock at the numbers on my meter. Really, I think I could have fried an egg on the heatsink. Amazingly the outputs are fine, I see no reason why they should be.....I'm impressed.

The DC offset trimmers that were original on my G-8000 were reverse of the directions given in the manual. Lucky for me, after cleaning them, I checked them with a meter first.

Great Save! I enjoy same league receivers and separates (other makes) too and there is one resounding fact? Sansui is wonderful. The Big "G" take truly holds it's own....even down the scale a bit into the G-6000 range. That beefy smooth (with creamy "sparkle" detail in the highs is special.)
So good to here about saves like this and enjoy.

Wondering if someone could help. I have a g--901 and the pre-amp power-amp switch is going bad. Contacts appear to be corroded. I never switch from connected, so want to bypass the switch. From what I can tell, the connected position connects the two far pins with the nearest pins of the three pairs. w1 x1 y1 z1
w 2 x2 y2 z 2 w1 to x1 and w2 to x2. Can anyone confirm this? Don't want to mess it up as I have had this receiver for 40 years and it still performs great.

Thanks.

Hi jjvb, welcome to AudioKarma Exclusively Sansui. There is more to that output circuit than just that switch. The signal also goes through a little reed relay and sometimes they get wonky. The relay opens the signal circuit when the unit turns off so you don't get a voltage spike (pop) in the speakers. It's necessary to prevent damage to your speakers.

You can bypass the switch by jumpering across the Pre Out/Main In RCA terminals. That will give you the cap coupled connection. If that solves your problem, the switch is suspect. If the problem remains, then the relay is suspect. It's a bit of a job to replace that relay.

It's all on the F-2804 board if you want to take a look at the schematic.

Also, since your question has nothing to do with the topic in this thread. Please start a new thread so folks don't get confused between the different issues.

- Pete

Yep, fully clockwise on the bias trimmer in the G8000/801/9000/901is minimum, always has been. But they certainly don't tell you that in the manual!!

Wondering if someone could help. I have a g--901 and the pre-amp power-amp switch is going bad. Contacts appear to be corroded. I never switch from connected, so want to bypass the switch. From what I can tell, the connected position connects the two far pins with the nearest pins of the three pairs. w1 x1 y1 z1
w 2 x2 y2 z 2 w1 to x1 and w2 to x2. Can anyone confirm this? Don't want to mess it up as I have had this receiver for 40 years and it still performs great.

Thanks.

Did you try cleaning the switch with Deoxit D5?

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I was so amazed that a forum like this existed that I lost my head. I will start a new thread if needed. No, I have not tried Deoxit D5. Did use some CRC contact cleaner but have not had time to test it yet. Pretty sure it is the switch as I can get both channels to work when I wiggle the switch. I appreciate the replies!!

Back
Top Bottom