Sansui G8000 Advice Needed (New Member)

Terry Arnold

Hello all - I've lurked here quite a bit over the past few months, and took the plunge to join. I'm hopeful this awesome community might be able to point me in the right direction in "curing that which ails" my recently purchased vintage Sansui G8000 receiver.

The unit had been recently (last October) QC'd thru a vintage hi fi business before I purchased. Most everything is perfect - lights, meters, inputs, outputs, etc.

HOWEVER, the Tape Monitor rotary switch has a hiccup. It's causing static and intermittent signal to be delivered to the right side output of the unit (I'm getting the problem in my right side speakers, whether using Speaker A outputs or Speaker B outputs). Gently tapping on the knob can either cause the problem to start, or make it go away. Also, twisting the knob clockwise does the same thing (start the problem or stop it).

Can this be as simple as dirt, dust, cold solder joint, etc? Or does this point to a rotary switch that has seen it's best days and needs full replacement? (If full replacement, does anyone have an idea of approximate cost for that type of work)?

If the latter, can anyone recommend a repair service in the Greater Washington DC area? I know that's a long shot, but I can't possibly just let any repair guy touch this unit. I'd love to find someone with experience and references.

Thanks in advance for any time and attention that this community can share with me. Thanks even more for putting in so much time to make AudioKarma such a cool site!

PS - I have searched and read a 2006 thread which pointed simply toward dirty contacts causing this problem and will likely do some contact cleaning - but with the unit having recently been serviced, I was thinking the problem might go deeper than just cleaning. Thank you!

Hello, those switches are problematic they can get kind of rusted, and the deoxit don't do that much... you need to remove it, clean it and require some dissembling and deal with some stiff ribbon cables.
It is a great receiver, and after proper reconditioning sounds awesome.

Are you willing to DIY or want a tech to do it for you?

Hello, those switches are problematic they can get kind of rusted, and the deoxit don't do that much... you need to remove it, clean it and require some dissembling and deal with some stiff ribbon cables.
It is a great receiver, and after proper reconditioning sounds awesome.

Are you willing to DIY or want a tech to do it for you?

I think I'd go about as far as DeOxit on my own - after that, I'm not touching anything more than that. I kinda have a bad track record with soldering tools and wiring....LOL. I'd prefer to find someone in the Washington DC metro area if anyone has any leads they could refer me to!

Growing up, we had the "single bachelor across the street" who had the G8000. Along with a pair of Bozak Modern Symphonys. When he cranked it, the bass and drums would reverberate the floors in our house across the street. As an easily influenced kid, that was THE dream stereo for me. So I'm kinda closing in on actually having that and don't want to make any DIY errors!

You have to remove the switches, dismantle, and clean the black tarnish off the contacts. There is no other way to make them reliable long term. The switch contacts are silver plated and over time, the silver oxidises.
Deoxit, it dislodges the tarnish, and it kind is floats and slides around in there, and whilst you'll get temporary relief from the symptoms they will eventually return.
I use those Glass-fibre brushes, they are soft, remove the tarnish without removing the silver plating.

Pretty cool story, I'm glad for you
Well I the only tech that I know ''close" to you Is Bob (wlhd1610) in Catskill NY, a truly artisan but maybe someone closer will chime in.

You have to remove the switches, dismantle, and clean the black tarnish off the contacts. There is no other way to make them reliable long term. The switch contacts are silver plated and over time, the silver oxidises.
Deoxit, it dislodges the tarnish, and it kind is floats and slides around in there, and whilst you'll get temporary relief from the symptoms they will eventually return.
I use those Glass-fibre brushes, they are soft, remove the tarnish without removing the silver plating.

Kevin, I'm curious to see pictures of these brushes.

s-l300.jpg
and you just turn the black part to feed more glass-fibre through as it wears down... Get 'em off the bay, they are pretty cheap, I actually need to order up a few more...they have them with steel and brass bristles as well.

I do repairs/restores and I am in Bay Ridge Brooklyn, if you ever come up this far.

Tom, I appreciate it.....not sure I would end up getting that far north with that big boat anchor (the G8000), but I will keep it in mind. As well as for friends I have that are more up that way.

Back
Top Bottom