Sansui G8080/9090 vs G-8000/9000?

Taketheflame

Hey all,

Not currently an owner of anything Sansui atm, but due to the addictive nature of this hobby, I'm asking questions on potential future buys of mine :p.

I currently own a Pioneer SX-950, Optonica SA-5601, and Akai AA-R30 for receivers. Although I tend to gravitate towards lesser appreciated brands like the latter two, I've still been Sansui (...and Marantz) curious.

Case in point - The 8080 or 9090 receivers vs the G-8000/9000. How do these two differ in both sonic and build quality? Which one sounds more "musical" of the two? I noticed that the 8080/9090 seems to go for quite a bit less than the powerful G-x000 models - why may that be?

Hoping for some insight from you Sansui folks. Thanks!

You will undoubtedly get multiple responses here extolling the big G series receivers, and with good reason. They sound great, are overqualified in the eye-candy department, and make quite the statement both in their listenability and appearance. Very well regarded needless to say.

BUT...don't sell the 8080/9090[DB] models short. They are well built, handsome units (albeit in a more understated way than the G series) and sound - in the opinion of many, myself included - very good. I own both, and depsite the high praise the G series frequently gets in comparison, I find no fault with the 9090DB. Yes, it sounds different than the G-9000, and that difference is an point of contention for some who prefer the G sound.

Now, the 8080DB and 9090DB are known for a design issue on one of the circuit boards (Dolby selector switch board) that leads to many problems with signal dropout, and is a bit of an undertaking to rectify. That is the only real downside I see to those models, a land it doesn't apply to the non-DB models.

The G-9000 meanwhile has a bit more apparent cost reduction. Vinyl covered bonnet, more plastic utilized in the front panel and buttons, speaker terminals that are known to be somewhat sub-standard for a unit of this caliber. So, it isn't without it's own shortcomings as well.

The G-9000 is almost always more costly to acquire than a 9090]DB], and either will need the usual age related reuild work to achieve best performance and reliability, which can be added to the up-front investment. Keep that in mind.

The 9090 and 9090DB have many differences, not just the Dolby board.

I am one that prefers the G series to 9090DB. I owned a 9090DB for years and still have a G-8000 and a G-871DB. The 9090DB is gone.

That said, the 9090DB is a great receiver, and I liked it plenty.

Do you like your SX-950? Then I would suggest a G. The G-8000 doesn't give up much to the G-9000.

Rob

The 9090 and 9090DB have many differences, not just the Dolby board.

I am one that prefers the G series to 9090DB. I owned a 9090DB for years and still have a G-8000 and a G-871DB. The 9090DB is gone.

That said, the 9090DB is a great receiver, and I liked it plenty.

Do you like your SX-950? Then I would suggest a G. The G-8000 doesn't give up much to the G-9000.

Rob
Hmm - maybe this thread should be called "9090 vs 9090DB vs G-9000" based on the responses so far, lol.

I quite enjoy all of my receivers, the 950 included. I've read that the 950 is supposedly the most warm/"musical" sounding of the SX-xx50 series, but haven't owned any others. The Akai leans more neutral to my ears, and the Optonica is the brightest of the bunch.

I guess I'm just curious where these Sansuis fall on the sonic scale.

Yes, I should have clarified there is a fairly significant distinction between the DB and non-DB versions of the 8080 and 9090. The non-DB versions are about a year or so older and their driver stage and main output design differ from the DB types.

Been a long time since I owned or listened to a non-DB, had an 8080 about 15 years ago that I sold. I recall it being a very nice sounding amp, but hard for me to make a detailed written distinction here now after so long.

So, in short, you are comparing and contrasting among three distinct series of receivers.

Im a big fan of the G series, and the TOTL models are exceptional.
They have a very linear sound, accuracy, detail, transparency, beautiful transient response......
and in fact the X700 series completely restored is one of the most excellent sounding Sansui's around, I recently bought the most MINT EVER G9700 and its so silky smooth and with plenty of authority....

I have worked on several 9090DB's and spent some time listening to them, they are nice, but the sound never captured me the way the G series did...

[Start Rant} This is the endless debate. These are all excellent receivers. Any one of them would more than satisfy the typical listener. Which one is sounds "best" 40+ years after they were built depends on many factors, condition, availability, have they been restored or modified and the owner's personal preference. Several contributors to this thread have mentioned the various models they have owned and sold. That's really the only way to determine the "best," which one pleases you the most. With that in mind, start looking for deals, don't pass up a nice 9090 and over pay for a G-8000 because someone said it's "better." {End Rant}

- Pete

Yep, you wouldn't want someone else to dictate what beer you'll be drinking from now on, or what coffee or tea, because they can all be a little different, tastes vary in this and many other things. ;)

I personally wouldn't trade my 950 for a 9090 or G9000. I don't question the power and internal quality of those units, to me the chrome face and knobs always felt cheap to me. Face seems non-machined and the knobs have a boom box feel to them.

Actually, the place I buy my beer from has folks there that drink beer as well. I ask them for recommendations all the time.(OK, so they don't dictate) Do I always like what they recommend? No, but I wouldn't know without trying them.
Have they recommended some that I really like? Yes.

Now I can give my opinion to others on what I thought about them.

Same goes for receivers. Seems the OP was looking for opinions so I gave mine.

My advice is don't pass up a nice G-8000 and over pay for a 9090.

Rob

Since it's been slow here, I'll bite... I take the G8000 over the 9090 any day (same source and same speakers) both reconditioned.

And I had both recapped and kept the 9090. Why?...it handled 4ohm speakers and the 8000 couldn't. The 9090 also gives you the option of three speakers to play. It is a tank and the sound is excellent. The 8000 is prettier...but if you can't perform...see ya!

IMG_1108.JPG

G-8000 original and the 990 is restored.

They sound a little different but I'm not critical enough to really care. Either one would do the trick for me sonically,

As for aesthetics, 990 all the way.

And I had both recapped and kept the 9090. Why?...it handled 4ohm speakers and the 8000 couldn't. The 9090 also gives you the option of three speakers to play. It is a tank and the sound is excellent. The 8000 is prettier...but if you can't perform...see ya!
That's why all this A vs B is kind of useless... MY opinion is different, some points

./ The 9090 is prettier.
./ I don't like/need to make those wall of sound setups with 3 pair of speakers.
./ If your unit did not perform for your application does not mean that all the G8000 don't perform.
./ In my case with MY main speakers and MY source and MY units, I like the G8000 over the 9090 any day, even when actually I have one pair of speakers that I like better with the 9090 than the G8000.
./ If I have to choose one, I will choose the G8000.

So bottom line, I'm with LBPete.

"Opinions are like bellybuttons, everybody has one".(Hyperion's favourite last month quote),:D

Last edited:
They can drive 4Ω load with ease, I told you what to do to make that happen, remove two diodes, 5min job.
I had my G9000 on the bench driving my 4Ω dummy load (playing music) at 243 watts per channel for 20mins, not a problem at all, yep it got pretty hot but the thermal protection never kicked in.

So with my testing results, incorrect, they can drive 4Ω easily, but its not all about that anyway, they have completely different sound signatures and to me, the sound of the 8000/9000 is superior to the 9090DB/9090, the tuner is well superior, phono stage is superior, and this based on real world experience on the same speakers.
BUT the 9090DB/9090 are great sounding units, just not for me.

And this is why this vs that is pointless because everybody has different taste.

And why you gave your opinion as I despite your pointless quote. Your 8000 fix was not around when I sold the 8000....and I think it should have come from factory with the ability to run 4ohm. I don't think there is much difference in sound between these units...at all....and if I hung a curtain in front and played....99% of listeners would never tell one from the other. I was just giving an opinion as to why I picked the 9090.....mostly because if I knew the 8000 couldn't handle 4ohm, (without your fix) I would never had bought it and put money into it to recap it. The tech that did my 8000 never suggested this fix so...…. sold it and got a Mac that could....:) Just telling people here that may not know about this weakness in the 8000.

One question....for the huge heat sink in back....to the point of having to put inputs on both sides...(hated that after using it)….why wouldn't the 8000 handle the 4ohm from factory?

why wouldn't the 8000 handle the 4ohm from factory?
Many many reasons including, Sansui cheaped out on the design of the Over-current protection, the design means that depending on how far off tolerance the resistors and transistors are in that circuit, it can trigger well early.
The basic design is flawed as it does not allow for overshoot...
But whatever, if you don't like it you don't like it......Job done...

I wish I couldn't tell the difference between the two, then I would spend a lot less on audio gear....

I wish I couldn't tell the difference between the two, then I would spend a lot less on audio gear....

Cursed you are....:) I learned long ago I don't have the ear of a musician when I was a union stagehand here. Setting up for major rock bands back in late 70's...early 80's, any band that carried a grand piano....required a tune for each event. One band that I can't remember now had a beautiful clear acrylic grand piano and was surprised how many bands had them. Anyways....

This same guy always showed up at our houses to tune these pianos. He simply had a socket sort of tool to which he turned each wire to a key. I would sit and watch him....and as he turned the wrench and tapped key...would simply nod to himself...and move to next key. After several keys, he would play a tune...nod...and move on.

As much as I tried to listen and tell any change in tones as he did this....nothing. It drove me crazy trying to figure out what he heard and I didn't...lol. Sooo....maybe it is good I don't have that curse! Besides....a couple of Old Fashions...it all sounds .

Back
Top Bottom