Sansui G9000 and Tape Monitor pots cleaning....

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by red71rum, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Hipocrates

Hipocrates AK Subscriber Subscriber

Don't worry about, mine came without it, I don't have acces to JB weld on my country, so I used loctite... That unit properly reconditioned is awesome, maybe some close to your place will be able to.

red71rum likes this.
  2. red71rum

red71rum Active Member

I found a place not too far away to clean it up. I think this will be my final receiver. The Sony and this Sansui will be enough for me. I repair\build\troubleshoot computers all day at work, I don't really want to do this at home also: )

3. jatkofon

jatkofon New Member

Simple solution. Use threaded rod. Every toolmaker in your area would easily do it completly for you for a couple of bucks. It will last forever. It is worth to do it properly, this G is absolutely fantastic.

4. jatkofon

jatkofon New Member

red71rum likes this.
  5. red71rum

red71rum Active Member

Interesting solution, but I had a local shop in Nashville harvest one for me from a G8000 I believe. It does sound pretty darn good, especially connected to some newly acquired Sonus Faber Chameleon T speakers. I appreciate the suggestion and will keep it in mind should something like this happen again.

6. jatkofon

jatkofon New Member

I made a quick sketch of that idea for you ... as you said, just for the future...:) ( sorry for the quality grade of the drawing - just fast, rough layout)

Attached Files:

Hipocrates likes this.
  7. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

That's certainly a good way to fix it but drilling it precisely on center would be very difficult. You also need some tiny taps. I think it would be easier to use a brass or aluminum tubing sleeve and epoxy.

- Pete

8. jatkofon

jatkofon New Member

Pete, you are absolutely right, the sleeving would do as well. It came in my mind too, but the rod assembly is more stabile in time IMHO, especially in this case, when red71rum seems to be very powerful boy:). Moreover, as a proud owner of the big G, I do realize that the selector resistance is very oldschool i.e. quite substantial. I already did a few threaded rod assemblies for me and it works very well. Yes, it is definitely necessary to be precise and it takes certain amount of time to do it properly - but as we love our gear more than ourselves it is worth the effort isnĀ“t it?:)
    P.S. Sorry for my bad English, I am not native in it.

Attached Files:

Hyperion likes this.
  9. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

Nice system. Are you from Switzerland? You must be a watchmaker to have the tools and patients to drill and tap that little shaft. No need to apologize for your English, you write as well or better than many Americans.

- Pete

Hyperion likes this.
  10. jatkofon

jatkofon New Member

Thank you for your nice words Pete. I am from Czech Republic, about 300 miles Northeast from Switzerland. I am not watchmaker though I do like traditional mechanical watch and I own a few nice ones. I find their ticking sound and the precise machinery sort of comparable to the vintage Hi-Fi, if you know what I mean. It is just return to the very basics, return to what I miss in our fast lives nowadays. Something I would call lost and found.

Jatkofon