Sansui G9000 and Tape Monitor pots cleaning....

Do any of you guys know of someone who could work on this receiver that is not as ham-handed as I am? I actually could not sleep last night because of what happened with the switch: )
Don't worry about, mine came without it, I don't have acces to JB weld on my country, so I used loctite... That unit properly reconditioned is awesome, maybe some close to your place will be able to.

Don't worry about, mine came without it, I don't have acces to JB weld on my country, so I used loctite... That unit properly reconditioned is awesome, maybe some close to your place will be able to.
I found a place not too far away to clean it up. I think this will be my final receiver. The Sony and this Sansui will be enough for me. I repair\build\troubleshoot computers all day at work, I don't really want to do this at home also: )

Interesting solution, but I had a local shop in Nashville harvest one for me from a G8000 I believe. It does sound pretty darn good, especially connected to some newly acquired Sonus Faber Chameleon T speakers. I appreciate the suggestion and will keep it in mind should something like this happen again.

I made a quick sketch of that idea for you ... as you said, just for the future...:) ( sorry for the quality grade of the drawing - just fast, rough layout)

Attachments

• Scan_20170813_013309.jpg
    Scan_20170813_013309.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Scan_20170813_013309.jpg
    Scan_20170813_013309.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 26
That's certainly a good way to fix it but drilling it precisely on center would be very difficult. You also need some tiny taps. I think it would be easier to use a brass or aluminum tubing sleeve and epoxy.

- Pete

That's certainly a good way to fix it but drilling it precisely on center would be very difficult. You also need some tiny taps. I think it would be easier to use a brass or aluminum tubing sleeve and epoxy.

- Pete
Pete, you are absolutely right, the sleeving would do as well. It came in my mind too, but the rod assembly is more stabile in time IMHO, especially in this case, when red71rum seems to be very powerful boy:). Moreover, as a proud owner of the big G, I do realize that the selector resistance is very oldschool i.e. quite substantial. I already did a few threaded rod assemblies for me and it works very well. Yes, it is definitely necessary to be precise and it takes certain amount of time to do it properly - but as we love our gear more than ourselves it is worth the effort isn´t it?:)
P.S. Sorry for my bad English, I am not native in it.

Attachments

• DSCN8892.JPG
    DSCN8892.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 20
Nice system. Are you from Switzerland? You must be a watchmaker to have the tools and patients to drill and tap that little shaft. No need to apologize for your English, you write as well or better than many Americans.

- Pete

Nice system. Are you from Switzerland? You must be a watchmaker to have the tools and patients to drill and tap that little shaft. No need to apologize for your English, you write as well or better than many Americans.

- Pete
Thank you for your nice words Pete. I am from Czech Republic, about 300 miles Northeast from Switzerland. I am not watchmaker though I do like traditional mechanical watch and I own a few nice ones. I find their ticking sound and the precise machinery sort of comparable to the vintage Hi-Fi, if you know what I mean. It is just return to the very basics, return to what I miss in our fast lives nowadays. Something I would call lost and found.

Jatkofon

They seller on Ebay called joeoldaudio parts out vintage equipment. I've bought from him in the past and have been quite satisfied with the stuff he sells. You could reach out to him and see if he has that board.

The selector switch shaft is pretty unique. If you have access to a machine shop, you might be able to repair the shaft with a donor, and some welding. The other option is to find a selector shaft from a different model that can be machined to work with yours. Someone was kind enough to give me one for my G-7000 several years ago. I had it machined and cut to length.DSCN0019.JPG DSCN0385.JPG DSCN0392.JPG

Back
Top Bottom