Sansui gremlin

mwc

I drug out my beloved Sansui AU-G99X intergrated amp today and hooked it up (feeling nostalgic I guess). I love this amp-lots of features and inputs with plenty of power (160w/ch) and great power meters.

The problem:
I hooked up my Magnepan MG12s and the source (a tubed DAC), turned it on and got wonderful sound. But as soon as I touched the amp's chassis, after walking across the carpet, I got a static shock and the DAC instantly shut down. Only the DAC shuts down. It happens, without fail, when I'm charged up after walking across the carpet. If I touch something else before I touch the chassis it doesn't happen. Could this be a grounding problem? If so how do I solve it.

Any electronics nerds (or even plain ol' nerds ) out there with advice?

Btw, I'm so happy to have been turned on to this site by haoleb. I have several Sansui pieces and am very proud of them. I hope to learn a lot here.

You need to do a bit more analysis to get a clear picture.

First, can you try another source? Tuner? Cassette player?

Next, try reversing the a/c plug on the amp.

Is it only the DAC that's shutting down? The amp isn't kicking in the protection circuit, is it?

Finally, you can ground strap the DAC to the amp using one side of stnd. 16 Ga a/c 'zip' cord.

Paul

Is it only the DAC that's shutting down? The amp isn't kicking in the protection circuit, is it?

Paul, thanks for the help.

Yes it is only the DAC that shuts down and no, the amp's protection circuit does not kick in.

Back
Top Bottom