Sansui GRX5500

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by Shaun b, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Shaun b

Shaun b New Member

picked up a 5500 today and was going to clean it up a bit(filthy), however I can't get faceplate off. I have done this numerous time with my 'big' Pioneers several times with no problem. All nuts and knobs and screws have been removed but on the left side of faceplate where power button is, it seems to be hung on something and I can't figure out what. Anyone have any insight on what it is? This is my first Sansui and I don't want to force it without knowing what's going on behind the faceplate. Thanks in advance

2. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Do you mean QRX5500 and not GRX5500 ?

Although the QRX5500 is a receiver your query would get the best exposure in the 'Exclusively Sansui' subforum here on AK.

How?
    If you report your own post (use the 'report' link at the lower left of your post) and ask for this thread to be 'moved' the Mods will move it for you - as posting same question twice is frowned upon here :)

(They might even correct your model name error :))

3. Shaun b

Shaun b New Member

No such luck. Oh well, that's what happens when I try to type a lot on the phone and not computer. I just hope someone knows what is going on with faceplate because I'm ready to get this thing cleaned and hooked up.

4. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Please be patient they are out there, those QRX guru's - maybe busy doing other stuff at the moment.

5. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

I don't know if this model uses them but some have threaded collars with a tiny shoulder that hold the face plate. These collars thread around one of the controls and just the tiny shoulder is visible around the hole. The shoulder holds the face plate in place and will have two slots cut in it. Sansui probably had a tool that would grab those slots to unscrew it. You can put a screwdriver in one of the slots and then gently tap it in a counterclockwise direction to unscrew it. I hope that makes sense. I don't have a picture of one of these collars.

When you get a chance, please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

6. Shaun b

Shaun b New Member

Thanks Pete. That one does not look like the rest at all. Little flat-head did the trick. I'm going to finish cleaning pots and a few minutes. All the voices on the radio sound like robots. I will post serial numbers shortly when I finish listening to 'Soul Trane' and having coffee.