Sansui integrated as preamp? Sansui integrated as power amp? Please share your experience.

Which one is true?

• I have tried Sansui integrated as preamp, and the system sounds more like Sansui.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have tried Sansui integrated as preamp, and the system sounds more like the power amp.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I have tried Sansui integrated as power amp, and the system sounds more like Sansui.

• I have tried Sansui integrated as power amp, and the system sounds more like the preamp.

• I wonder how Kreshna would sound when we stomp his testicles. Stomp stomp!

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters
I doubt I could tell them apart in a blind test. They both sound very nice. Maybe this weekend I'll try some comparison testing. Wouldn't be that hard to find two copies of the same CD and do some testing at various volume levels. I'll see if I can get my wife to do the switching so I really won't know. Could be interesting.

I use the Sansui for better condition LPs as its TT has a better cartridge than the TT connected to the Marantz. The CD player connected to the Marantz will play poor quality thrift store CDs that my other players can't and is single play only. The Sansui has 5 CD player. Choice between Marantz and Sansui has nothing to do with the receivers sound quality.

I doubt I could tell them apart in a blind test. They both sound very nice. Maybe this weekend I'll try some comparison testing. Wouldn't be that hard to find two copies of the same CD and do some testing at various volume levels. I'll see if I can get my wife to do the switching so I really won't know. Could be interesting.

I use the Sansui for better condition LPs as its TT has a better cartridge than the TT connected to the Marantz. The CD player connected to the Marantz will play poor quality thrift store CDs that my other players can't and is single play only. The Sansui has 5 CD player. Choice between Marantz and Sansui has nothing to do with the receivers sound quality.
I see, thanks for the reply. I hope this thread could be useful for those interested to use their Sansui integrateds or receivers as preamp unit.

I doubt I could tell them apart in a blind test. They both sound very nice. Maybe this weekend I'll try some comparison testing.
Looking forward for your update. :)

Ok, I synchronized Dire Straights and adjusted the volume as close as I could get it. Honestly I could not tell the difference between the Sansui Six and the Marantz 2235b used as preamps for a MC 2100 feeding LaScalas. My wife thought she could hear a difference at first and then decided she couldn’t.

Attached is a video. It would have been better if the phone had been on a stand. Video starts with the Sansui (left select button).

Well the video wouldn’t upload. Sorry. Guess the file is too big. If there is a trick to upload from an iPhone someone let me know.

Cheers

Several years ago, I used the preamp section of my Sansui AU-999 to drive my Dynaco ST-70, since I didn't have a dedicated preamp at the time. Found it odd that the pre outs only worked when the speaker selector was set to C (probably due to the "Electronic Crossover System" functionality mentioned in the manual), but it worked fine. Not sure if the Sansui imparted much of its sound to the ST-70, but it sounded just about as good as the Dynaco PAS-2 I eventually bought to pair with the ST-70.
-Adam

Ok, I synchronized Dire Straights and adjusted the volume as close as I could get it. Honestly I could not tell the difference between the Sansui Six and the Marantz 2235b used as preamps for a MC 2100 feeding LaScalas. My wife thought she could hear a difference at first and then decided she couldn’t.

Attached is a video. It would have been better if the phone had been on a stand. Video starts with the Sansui (left select button).

Well the video wouldn’t upload. Sorry. Guess the file is too big. If there is a trick to upload from an iPhone someone let me know.

Cheers
I see! And I thought preamp colors the sound more than power amp. Or perhaps Sansui and Marantz sound so alike, that it's hard to tell the difference?

Thanks for the info, by the way. :)

I haven't used my AU717 for a while now in my main system and used it as a preamp at one time but it's been too long . . . . so I will be of no help on this thread.

Sorry Kreshna . . . accordingly I had to vote for category number five. :biggrin:

I’m thinking those particular models sound similar.
Sansui and Marantz, both are warm-sounding, no? Also, the power amp is McIntosh. Warm sounding too, I suppose?

Sorry Kreshna . . . accordingly I had to vote for category number five. :biggrin:
Aaack, aaack!

Anyway, who voted for option number two?

I mean, someone uses Sansui integrated as preamp, and the whole system actually sounds more like the non-Sansui power amp instead of the Sansui pre? :eek:

And here I thought preamp colors the sound more than power amp.

pbtDHGj.png

Sansui and Marantz, both are warm-sounding, no? Also, the power amp is McIntosh. Warm sounding too, I suppose?

Aaack, aaack!

Anyway, who voted for option number two?

I mean, someone uses Sansui integrated as preamp, and the whole system actually sounds more like the non-Sansui power amp instead of the Sansui pre? :eek:

And here I thought preamp colors the sound more than power amp.

pbtDHGj.png

If I remember correctly my finding was that the preamp section didn't color the sound as much as I thought it would and that was what I was wanting, that smooth Sansui sound.

I never had a reason to try the power amp section only of the 717, I needed more power for my JBL's at the time and didn't have a stand alone preamp.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly my finding was that the preamp section didn't color the sound as much as I thought it would and that was what I was wanting, that smooth Sansui sound.

I never had a reason to try the power amp section only of the 717, I needed more power for my JBL's at the time and didn't have a stand alone preamp.
What power amp did you use with your AU-717 pre section?

I used a Yamaha PC2002 @ 250 wpc. driving JBL 250ti's. It was for a short time until picked up a dedicated pre.
I see. So, when the AU-717's pre section is used with Yamaha PC2002 power amp, the system doesn't sound "Sansui enough". Not as warm as when using the AU-717 as integrated, and probably sounds more like the Yamaha power amp. Am I correct?

Makes me wonder why. It seems common belief says preamp colors the sound more than power amp, but perhaps we've been wrong all the time.

I see. So, when the AU-717's pre section is used with Yamaha PC2002 power amp, the system doesn't sound "Sansui enough". Not as warm as when using the AU-717 as integrated, and probably sounds more like the Yamaha power amp. Am I correct?

Makes me wonder why. It seems common belief says preamp colors the sound more than power amp, but perhaps we've been wrong all the time.

I would say it didn't have that Sansui sound like I was hoping to have. I never owned a stand alone Sansui preamp or power amp so I couldn't say one way or another by using the separated integrated. I will add that my Kenwood Model 600 integrated used as a preamp seemed relatively lifeless compared to using it as a pre & power amp together.

I also voted for option 2. Mainly because, as I said in my earlier post, I don't remember there being a huge difference between the sound from my ST-70 when using the AU-999's preamp section to drive it, and when I finally got a PAS-2 to use with it. Granted, this was over 15 years ago, so my memories might be a bit faded. I might have to conduct some more experiments at some point.......... :idea:
-Adam

Intriguing. It seems the most popular belief by far is preamp colors the sound more than power amp, but this thread seems to tell otherwise.I also notice that coloration --sound signature, if you will-- also happen to power amps. For example, Sherwood AM-9080 is often described as "lush, sweet, and warm."

So perhaps preamp coloration has been rather exaggerrated?

Intriguing. It seems the most popular belief by far is preamp colors the sound more than power amp, but this thread seems to tell otherwise.I also notice that coloration --sound signature, if you will-- also happen to power amps. For example, Sherwood AM-9080 is often described as "lush, sweet, and warm."

So perhaps preamp coloration has been rather exaggerrated?
A common(?) concensus is that a good preamp shouldn't impart anything to the music, just control its level. The same can probably be said of power amplifiers, though (typically) without the volume control aspects. I'm not entirely sure whether or not Sansui was aiming to make their preamp sections equivalent to 'a straight wire with gain', but I wouldn't be entirely surprised.
-Adam

Back
Top Bottom