Sansui Model Seven

tbonner1

I just got a Sansui Model Seven and it has a bit of a transistor type sound compared to other similar vintage receivers I have such as Marantz 2230 and Yamaha 820.

Is this typical and would a move to a Sansui Eight Deluxe yield improvement in the sound?

How does the Seven you have sound when you play music that has low bass notes, does it sound ok, or does the Seven sound 'boomy' in any way?

B/F

Hey Beatle,
Thanks for helping. Let me qualify myself a bit.

I am an audiophile for 25 years with countless high end speakers and gear. Right now I have JM Lab Cobalt 820's with Aragon amp and pre, Sony 333ES SACD player as my main system.

I had the Sansui checked out and it measured fine with very low distortion and had the FM section aligned and tweaked with the SoundTech FM generator. I have the preamp jumpered with good interconnects out back. Everything has been Deoxited.

The sound seems a bit 2 dimensional and sounds clean and very powerful but, well, like an old trasistor radio in terms of sound character.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Well..., 2 dimensional you say, .... Its tough for me to venture an opinion without being able to hear your receiver with my own ears and determining if we hear the same type of sound.

You stated that you had the receiver checked and it measured fine, so that seems to rule out the possibility that some electronic components (capacitors, transistors) need to be replaced.

The reason I asked about the bass response - I have a Model Eight, and althought the unit is certainly built like a tank, I noticed it was rather bass-heavy in its sound, as if the Loudness control was always On to super-boost the bass.

B/F

Back
Top Bottom