sansui part numbers

john stumpf

hi ya fellas, im new here and have a question, im being offered a 9090db so i went into the data base and and looked up a manual on the set. it would appear that sansui assigns their own part numbers to the components instead of using generic numbers are the components themselves "disguised" as well?

Sansui had their own part numbers for the various components they used, this is so that they could define the spec of each component. This part number system is now defunct, because the original company Sansui no longer exists. The only 'disguising' going on is the passage of time and the fact that many components are now obsolete, sometimes leaving very little information behind, or were parts made specially for Sansui equipment only. Much information is contained in the relevant service manuals, or on the schematics themselves, and for the experienced eye just looking at the components on the PCB's, one can gain an appreciation of the specification and ratings of the components used.

What do you mean by 'generic numbers'? - a '1K ohm, ¼ watt carbon film resistor' is just that isn't it? - it has no generic number.

Does that answer your question? :)

Last edited:
my question mainly went to semiconductors,but as ive never been inside a sansui i have no clue how they had done things. i was suspecting they had used a system that was intended to deny servicing by anyone other than a sansui dealer. it certainly makes it more difficult to formulate a rebuild list even now.

it certainly makes it more difficult to formulate a rebuild list even now.
This is a well trodden path for people who recondition Sansui's - please do a search for 9090db rebuild threads to give you general assistance on this model. If you require specific semiconductor substitutes, refer to the semiconductor substitutes thread, here:-
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/once-more-sansui-transistor-substitutions.583009/

Or simply do an AK search using the type number of the device. Remember that a substitute isn't necessarily valid unless it has been specified for use in the exact location on your piece of equipment. Or, if all of that fails ask here.

But note well, there is no need to change the majority of semiconductors if they are working OK - there are number of definite exceptions to this - There is even a thread here:-
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...ilure-prone-whatever-and-replacements.731653/
with some of the 'troublemaker' semiconductors listed. ;)

Last edited:
Sansui used standard 2SA-2SB-2SC- and 2SD type Japanese transistors. The part number is almost always shown in the service manuals, and schematics.
The part numbers are types are shown in the description column in the service manual. No hidden types that I know of

I was suspecting they had used a system that was intended to deny servicing by anyone other than a sansui deale
BTW, the 9090DB are one of the most documented units here.
The semiconductors parts are there in the schematic and service manual , you just need to find the correct sub.
For example
Pages from sansui_8080DB_9090DB.jpg

Last edited:
i was suspecting they had used a system that was intended to deny servicing by anyone other than a sansui dealer. it certainly makes it more difficult to formulate a rebuild list even now.

That is not the case. Japanese manufactures of the era were actually concerned about the stigma of "foreign" goods being hard to service or hard to get parts for. They bent over backwards to make service and parts information available. They intentionally did not copyright service manuals and other service information so it could be shared freely.

On a different note, please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

my question mainly went to semiconductors,but as ive never been inside a sansui i have no clue how they had done things. i was suspecting they had used a system that was intended to deny servicing by anyone other than a sansui dealer. it certainly makes it more difficult to formulate a rebuild list even now.

No Sansui do not do that, but McIntosh did!! McIntosh have there own part numbers screened on the semiconductors...Sansui never did that....

Sansui use off the shelf readily available parts (at the time), these days most parts are discontinued but there are always substitutes, and with the help of the guys on the forum here, practically anything can be rebuilt...

Back
Top Bottom