Sansui PM-2020 Tube Amp

Beasley87

Hello fellow enthusiasts! I've been enjoying your forums for quite some time now for both information and entertainment.

I recently picked up a Sansui PM-2020 amplifier from approximately 1959. I've had great difficulty finding much information/specs on this model and was wondering if any of you could shed some light on what I see as a very cool piece of tube history.

Anything would be appreciated! Thanks!

Pics of the PM-2020

Here are some pictures. I haven't done much to clean it up. Also came with the original box from when it was purchased overseas and it appears to have spent a good part of its life in there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 292
Jeff, it does appear to be an EL 84 push pull type. Would that turn out to be around 20 watts pre channel as the model name scheme might suggest?

EL 84's aren't good for that much power, I'd say about 12 RMS. Just my opinion.

It's a good looking unit, that's for sure. Looking at it just makes one want to put a record on and turn the lights down.

I was hoping it was a little scarce based on the lack of information on the net. So that's good to hear.
It sounds pretty sweet after a round of deoxit on all the pots. Not a ton of power but plenty going through some speakers with high sensitivity.

The tone controls seem to be pretty good but I'm wondering what kind of preamp would be a good match. Any ideas?

Looks amazing. I didn't know Sansui made amps in the 50s. I see a big selenium rectifier on the top, which should be replaced...have any of the caps been replaced?

Looks quality. If it's from the 50s a recap should be scheduled. The 20 in the name is probably more like 10W per channel. But that's plenty, unless you have a huge listening space.

I think it's rare. It's not listed in the UK hifi yearbooks of the time. Are the inputs at the rear marked in English or Japanese?

Really nice piece! If it's like the later Sansui amps & rec. with lots of grey suzuki PIO caps you shouldn't play it till you replace all those coupling caps as you risk the Output Transformers.

On most vintage units its wise to replace the coupling caps except for some Eico small amps & rec with ceramic disk caps.

The can caps and possibly a few under chassis electrolytics can take out the PS Trans.

It must have fixed bias because of the selenium rectifier which by the size of it definitely dates the amp along with the style of the front.

Fixed bias means it could be close to 20W/CH which is possibe if you compare it to what HH Scott 299 & 222C & D offered per channel.

Back
Top Bottom