Sansui QRX 8001 Replacement bulbs LED?

danconway327

I just came into possession of this beauty. I am needing to replace a few lights is there a kit or something for these?

Attachments

• 20180518_182223.jpg
    20180518_182223.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20180518_182217.jpg
    20180518_182217.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180518_182138.jpg
    20180518_182138.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 14
  • 20180518_182207.jpg
    20180518_182207.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 14
You didn't mention which lights?

Unlike most Sui's, this one uses a globe type lamp on the side of the dial that transmits light thru the glass.

lamps-dial.jpg

Those are difficult to find. I ended up using 12v high intensity warm white LED automotive style lamps on my 9001. You need to swap the base, but that's as easy as straightening out the leads, sliding the automotive base off the bulb, and replacing it with the Sui base.

led-wedgie.jpg

The results are a real close match to the original bulbs, but with better spread across the dial, using the stock 7vac power ...

led-lighting.jpg

Ditto for the signal and tuning meters.

The dial color is provided by the plastic shields around the bulbs. Those slide right out, so I suppose you could get creative with the color.

led-lighting-dial-shields.jpg

PS - if your power meters are ok, I'd leave those alone. They use a standard wheat grain type bulb, but those are glued into the meters and are a real PITA to replace without damagine the meters. Don't forget, old plastic can be brittle, so don't say I didn't warn ya ...

Worth mentioning - the stock light circuit is 7vAc, and LEDs expect to see vDc, so expect to see some flickering if you just hook them up straight. I went the easy route to avoid this and added a handy dandy rectifier to the circuit.

led-rectifier.jpg

I didn't replace the power meter lamps, so those are hooked up before the rectifier and still VAC. All the LEDs are on the other side of the rectifier for VDC. No flicker, and me happy with the results. Google "LED rectifier" on da bay and it pops right up.

Last edited:
Happy to be of service ... ;-}

One trick - if you look back at the pic I posted on the signal lamps, you'll see one is closer to the back of the meter than I liked - too much of a "hot" spot. Fixed that on the other one by removing the cup from the Sui mount. You'll see what I mean when you get into it. You can trim that with a razor blade.

I do the same thing as Skizo, use the same LED, you do not need to alter the Lamp power supply, just wire them straight in....
The do work really well, and yes you do not want to go there with the meters, they are as Skizo said, a real PIA....

I got some drop in LEDs from dgwojo for my 7001 and this is almost a must for these guys... The light box was so cooked I had to reflow all the solder joints, but with LED hopefully it will live a long and happy life

Back
Top Bottom