Sansui QRX 9001

Pearson

I went to a store which deals with used HiFi equipment yesterday, and stumbled across one of the most massive-looking recievers I've seen; a Sansui QRX 9001. It appeared to be in pristine condition, but the price was really over the top - almost 500 Euro / $. There was another smaller 4 channel Sansui for "only" 150, but it didn't really look nearly as impressive as the 9001.

I didn't test it (I don't have the money right now anyway), but I must confess that just the looks would have been enough if the price had been lower.

What is the sound quality of the 9001 like? Admittedly, I'm not into 4-channel sound, so buying this receiver would seem like a bit of a waste, but I haven't yet stopped dreaming about it... How would it compare sound-wise with my current amp, a H/K 930 (which more discrete appearance may perhaps in the end be more lasting)?

Last edited:
Hi Pearson,

I own a Sansui QRX 7001 and I love it! I only use it in 2 channel (which it is also designed for) and it ROCKS! I am not sure how many watts per channel it is in 2 channel but I believe it is about 60 per. All I can tell you is that it is PLENTY as these are VINTAGE WATTS lol. My 7001 weights in at 52.5 pounds!
I used to have my Sansui LOADED (CD,Tube Tuner,TV Audio,etc.) and I was not getting the best performance. I started hearing some kind of noise/distortion so I took the Sansui out of my system for months and starting using my NAD C 350 intergrated amp. Although the NAD sounded very nice, I noticed myself NOT listening to music as much. I left the NAD set up mostly for the 2 channel TV system and once again added Sansui with just the CD player (for the time being) and hooker her up to my new (to me)
Vintage Pioneer CS 911's and WOW! There is just SOMETHING
about the sound/control/flavor/etc. of the Sansui. I love mine.
I hope to soon travel to RI where my Brother picked me up a Sansui 7070 in good condition for $25.00.
I can't wait to play some more! Good luck with whatever you decide. SixCats!

Thanks for your input, SixCats! A quick Google search for info gave me the impression that there were a few problems with the 9001, one of them being a faulty 2 channel mode.

In case anyone wonders what it looks like...

QRX-9001.jpg

Last edited:
I had a Kenwood 4 channel receiver that looked a lot like the Sansui.

Dont recall which model it was (8340??), but like the Sansui, it was large!

Hi Pearson:

The QRX-9001 was the Top model in the Line and came out a little later in the 70's than the QRX-7001 which I have. Perhaps it was QuadBob's site that came up in your websearch. I have corresponded w/ him before- Bob has done many mods on the QRX-9001- upgrading caps and so forth to improve upon some design issues. Sansui mightve tried to make a quad reciever a tad bit too sophisticated when they made the 9001. I believe the 7001 is a bit less complex and thus holds up more reliably.

Regards, B/F.

http://groups.msn.com/AudiophileHaven/audiolancelotsaustinpowers.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=16

http://groups.msn.com/AudiophileHaven/audiolancelotsaustinpowers.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=14

I have a QRX 9001 and use it to power my Infinity Kappa sub woofers. There is no crackle in any buttons or noise and I guess I have been fortunate not to have had any reliability problems or Quad Bob exaggerates. Before I hooked it to an Infinity crossover net work it sounded great as an audio receiver. I have had some offers for this unit of which I have declined. I have how ever sold the Pioneer QX9900 ...reluctantly. As a result I do miss listening in Quad occationally.

Not certain if Quad Bob's "restoration deal" is all that necessary and of credible value.

Dennis

Back
Top Bottom