Sansui qrx9001 low output.

Hey..kev..Thanks........I have been looking at exactly those small trimmers......will try what you say. Otherwise..I am 'puuuurrrtttyyy' happy. The unit has been playing now through all channels......for a long time..........GREAT!

Wife is pretty happy too, that IT is over!;-)))))))

hey kev...no more time to work on the 9001...........however I have looked at the adjustment method for the vr1 for the left power meter.......I dont have all the equipment needed.............I tried tapping and turning(a little) the trimmer....no reaction.................I will trouble shoot again when I get back. Thank,,,,,,,

"By the way, try exercising the far right button switch. The meter might come back."

Is there an echo in here? (496) :music:

Last edited:
trnsfmr......I did trace that brown wire from the meters to the meter board.....massaged it a bit.......still no reaction on the meter...will look and fiddle further..........

kev ...i have looked at schematic......where the heck is that meter circuit? i am staring myself blind on that schematic!

I know you're away, but here is the data. The meter circuit is on the protection board, right after the outputs on the schematic. There are 4 pots there that adjust the meter levels. The reason you couldn't trace the meter circuit back there was this. The front L/R meters go through the 4 ch board to the Meter/rec calibrate switch. This is the far right button switch. When one of the front meters doesn't work, or both, it is usually this switch. It hardly ever gets used, when was the last time you had to set dolby levels? Exercise the switch and it will probably fix the meter. :yes:

This is simply another benefit of the extra complexity of the 9001. When you push that switch, the L/R meters get used to calibrate dolby. How about that dolby FM feature? Did you check that out to make sure it is working? LOL

I'm sure from someone's point of view, the 9001 is a comedy of errors. 4 ch quad? Dolby recording? Dolby FM? Imagine what some young audio designer at Yamaha would think if he came across a 9001 today. "What a laughable combination of obsolete audio technology!" I guess some of us see it differently.

So, that's three times I have suggested exercising the Meter/rec-cal switch. I won't mention it again. LOL :thmbsp:

Have a good trip.

I know you're away, but here is the data. The meter circuit is on the protection board, right after the outputs on the schematic. There are 4 pots there that adjust the meter levels. The reason you couldn't trace the meter circuit back there was this. The front L/R meters go through the 4 ch board to the Meter/rec calibrate switch. This is the far right button switch. When one of the front meters doesn't work, or both, it is usually this switch. It hardly ever gets used, when was the last time you had to set dolby levels? Exercise the switch and it will probably fix the meter. :yes:

This is simply another benefit of the extra complexity of the 9001. When you push that switch, the L/R meters get used to calibrate dolby. How about that dolby FM feature? Did you check that out to make sure it is working? LOL

I'm sure from someone's point of view, the 9001 is a comedy of errors. 4 ch quad? Dolby recording? Dolby FM? Imagine what some young audio designer at Yamaha would think if he came across a 9001 today. "What a laughable combination of obsolete audio technology!" I guess some of us see it differently.

So, that's three times I have suggested exercising the Meter/rec-cal switch. I won't mention it again. LOL :thmbsp:

Have a good trip.

Seems like the most logical explanation.........I keep hearing about those Dolby boards......maybe he has to do some work on that board..........Ive havent had any experience with those so I dont really know..........
Sounds like your department Jim........

Seems like the most logical explanation.........I keep hearing about those Dolby boards......maybe he has to do some work on that board..........Ive havent had any experience with those so I dont really know..........
Sounds like your department Jim........

The dolby board in the 9001 is nothing like the one in the 9090db. No ribbon cable. The dolby board is tied to the 4 ch board and if you clean and lube the switches and pots, it seems to fix the dolby. After all, what we want is for it to work correctly in the OFF position. At least that's what I want. LOL

I saw LBPete's post on the 9090db dolby. Looks like a nightmare repair, and nothing to gain by doing it, except to get everything else to work reliably. If I had a 8080 or 9090 with the dolby feature, instead of fixing all that, I would just figure out how to hard wire it in the OFF position. That may not be possible, if it's like the 4ch board on the 9001, with all the switching going through it.

Hey Kev,
Don't know if you're still watching this thread or not, but this relates. I powered up another 9001 today. Did a recap, 4ch board repair, various other little things. Thought I'd apply some of the things I learned with you about powering up for the first time. So, I turned all the bias trimmers down to what would be minimum bias. Makes sense.

But guess what? This is the 9001 with the bias diodes instead of the bias transistors like Anderslober has in his. Are you ready for this? The trimmers turns the opposite direction with the bias diode version driver boards. Anything to make it harder, huh. :drool:

So, needless to say, I had them all maxed, which made for some warm little heatsinks for a few minutes. Max trimmer nets anywhere from 400 to 700 ma. I quickly figured it out and got them all dialed in and no damage, but I had to laugh. I thought to myself, Kev would get a kick out of this. Just more lore to add to the complexity of the 9001. :tears:

I checked out the circuit, as I have been working on drawing up the actual circuit for each of the two different boards, and you were right in your "figure it out" on which way to turn the pot, the pot is wired backwards from what it shows, ie. the wiper is connected to the other side of the pot.

:music:

Wow, and furthermore WOW!!!! These amps are just full of surprises, interesting about the bias trimmers, I was so sure that I had worked it out the right way.....
These amps are really not something you take lightly by all accounts, its been very interesting being involved with this thread, I've learned a lot about these amps and the weirdness that goes on.....
Truth is I nearly bought one last year but I didn't think there was much point because I wouldn't be making use of the quad part and I thought it was a waste so I didn't get it.....
Thanks for the info Jim, I'm looking forward to the next challenge....

You might reconsider owning one of these, if another one comes your way. what is really cool about the quad, is that you just add a couple speakers at the other end of the room, and play music like you always do. Some recordings, usually a whole album, will just blow you away with the surround effect. And you have 4 quad settings to choose from. From having worked with live music so much and mixed over 500 shows, I find just two speakers to be really flat sounding. The room comes alive and the sound has depth with something happening behind me. And of course the best affect, is to adjust it so you can just barely, or barely not, hear it. Other stuff, like electronica or dance, and the rears get turned up. I love it.

trnsfmr...kevzep.......well, I am back on the island testing the 9001......I know you fellas are busy with Betomon's 9001.......but, it seems I am not totally out of the woods yet..........small problems persisting....

1: Low Bass output on RF channel........I swapped speakers to confirm. I have fiddled with the tone controls.....there is definitely a difference in bass output between the LF and RF channels. What could this be?

2: I tried to set the speaker selector to the X2 setting......volumme at minimum and there was a loud thump....I thought I had blown everything again, but when I put the selector back to normal...everything worked fine again.

3: And then of course the right meter isn't working still.....have tapped and adjusted VR1..........'massaged' dolby switch......still no response from the meter.

Small sniggles.........

hey, glad to see this thread up again. It's not over til it's over. Let's add a couple hundred more posts. :banana:

Does the bass control add and take away bass on RF? How about the loudness control? Since it is just one channel, I would bet on perhaps, somewhere in your recap you replaced a signal path cap that was 1/10th it's supposed to be value, like a 0.47 where a 4.7 needs to be. that's the one I and my son are most likely to make mistakes on. But look for the simple things first.

You could swap the inputs going to the OP driver boards and see if it follows the input wires, or the 2624 boards. If it's on the 2624, that should be pretty easy.

Maybe you have a bad meter. Hard to test when it's all assembled. I just changed a meter bulb with the front panel on, so it can be done. With your multimeter, see if you can put the probes on a meter that is working and get a reading. If you can, try it with the bad meter, so you'll know if signal is getting to it or not.

It's pretty normal to get a thump when you switch to 2X, did it play in that position? there's not much likelihood of blowing anything up. Usually it's the switch contacts, because that position is little used. If it doesn't work at all or one ch doesn't work, and it's not the 2X switch, there's a relay on the bottom board behind the front panel that controls/reroutes the signals in 2Xmode. I take all the relay covers off and clean and lube them as part of what I'm doing. the relays are pretty much unobtanium, although you could buy a 4pdt 24vdc relay and wire it to the pc board.

So, have you checked out the, ahem. . . . new 9001? does it work? have you re-pinned the 4 ch board yet? :yes: I'm jealous...... of course.

I know we can get this one to 500 posts at least...........

I will add something constructive if I can............

Sounds like the old intermittent, and occasionally no connection problems......

I know we can get this one to 500 posts at least...........

I will add something constructive if I can............

Sounds like the old intermittent, and occasionally no connection problems......

Uhhh.....Kevin, take a look in the upper right corner. See that number?

Anders---Maybe you just need to re-pin the 4 ch board? Yeah, that's it, just re-pin that board and everything will be fine. :no:

:D

Uhhh.....Kevin, take a look in the upper right corner. See that number?

Anders---Maybe you just need to re-pin the 4 ch board? Yeah, that's it, just re-pin that board and everything will be fine. :no:

:D

:D wasnt watching that was I now.......

AArrrghhh....you fellas are killin' me.! Anyway......I have checked the bass controls...and they do add/decrease bass. I put the speakers on the rear outputs...and here it is the same....the RB channel has weaker bass than the LB channel. Even swapped speakers to confirm. I have checked all the caps....they are all ok/correct. Could this be a problem with the big caps then? Since it is both right channels.....

I will take measurements and fiddle a bit more with the meter problem.........could it be a 'bad' cap on the protection board?

Regarding the 'new' 9001......it is still in its box. I will post photos of an EIGHT channel monster soon!

Wasn't it the right front and right rear that were bad and had to have transistors changed out?

If your bass controls work to move bass up and down, even though it
s lower than the right, it is probably not the tone boards. That's a real head scratcher, let me think about it for a while.

The big caps supply power to all channels, they are not segregated to different channels. I take it you never changed them out. You can buy 10 or 12Kuf caps pretty cheap.

I doubt if it is a bad cap in the protection board. (meter not work) I think you just have to trace it back, starting at the meter.

Regarding the LF meter.........it does not even twitch when I turn the unit ON or OFF. All the other meters twitch. I think the meter itself is INOP. I measured all voltages all around the meters....and they are all the same.....working meters and non-working meter. All I need now is a knob and a meter!

Regarding the LF meter.........it does not even twitch when I turn the unit ON or OFF. All the other meters twitch. I think the meter itself is INOP. I measured all voltages all around the meters....and they are all the same.....working meters and non-working meter. All I need now is a knob and a meter!

Well, if it has voltage on it's input, then it's not working. You know, this first 9001 you have must be the most tortured one ever. I have one that was pretty beat up, but yours must have been thrown off a building or something. Remember, the ripped out circuit board?

A guy called me and wants to sell his 9001 to me and it has ......... no knobs. Seems he took the knobs off to clean it and put them in a box, and then ..... he never saw the box again. It got thrown out. I've been watching for 9001 or 9090 knobs on the bay, and the prices are unbelievable. $24.95 for one knob!!!! The 9001 has fourteen knobs, and 8 of those little lever knobs,

So, if I get this unit, I guess I'll put Pioneer knobs on it or something like that.
I know, that's a sacrilege, but what's a guy suppose to do.

I'm actually looking for a set of meters too. That beat up one I have has its plastic inner panel glued to the two left meters and tuning meters. There used to be lots of 9001 parts on the bay, but no more. I tried to buy those pc boards last week, but someone else wanted them worse than me. :D

Anders,
I been thinking about your bass problem. try this. I think you can turn the connector over that goes to the driver boards, and invert the channels. Left would be going to right and vice versa. See if you can do that and if the low bass problem stays or switches channels.

trnsfmr....there is a small resistor on the meter pcb.......could this small resistor be defective? And if so, would it render the meter INOP?

I just bought a pcb from a 9090DB.........got 7 push-button knobs from that!

At least the unit is playing nicely now.......has been ON almost all day. I have played through all 4 channels......everything seems OK.....except the slightly less bass in the right front and right back channels.

I may end up with a good look-a-like knob too!

Back
Top Bottom