Sansui qrx9001 low output.

trnsfmr....yikes..INVERT THE PLUGS.....are you SURE this would be okay? I will try it.....but, please confirm that it wont fry something....................

trnsfmr...you CAN'T invert the plugs...they have assymetrical spacing and can only plug one way.

sorry, I'm not at home right now and didn't realize they had assymetrical spacing. You could remove the pins from the connector and change channels that way. You'd only have to swap the outside ones. the insides are grounds. There's a little locking tab that sticks up on the side. Just trying to find out if the less bass is in the preamp, or amp.

Hey, on ebay is a pair of 9090db meters, which I think are exactly the same ones as the 9001. they have the dolby mark.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sansui-9090db-P...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a0e2cdae6

If you want, I could buy them for you and ship em. Or maybe the next time you come to the states, I could have sent them to where ever you are going. If you don't want 'em, I'll probly buy 'em for myself.

trnsfmr.......thanks for the heads-up on the meters. I have contacted the fellow. If he cant ship to Singapore.....feel free to buy them for me. I will of course pay ya'! (Just as long as the bidding doesn't go totally crazy!)

Yes...I figured the resistor was for the lights..........

I have been listening to the unit a lot today.......the sound is crystal clear in the right channels......just slightly less bassy. The sound in the left channels is a bit veiled and a little more bassy........could this be because of the new transistors in the right channels(on the f2624 board)?

Trnsfmr......I bought some case screws from Nies.......but, the diameter of the screws was to big for holes in the wooden case......do you have any surplus? I will keep Nies' screws for a future application.

Last edited:
Been experimenting with speaker position........much, much better sound now, that the speakers are of the floor and NOT stacked on top of each other............great!

Not starting up the thread again....just concluding it a bit. The 9001 has been playing nicely for some time now..............

I have even tried the four channels once.....excellent sound through 2 old Bose 201's! and some speaker bangers.:banana:

I think I may keep this baby..........we have kinda' become attached.....:thmbsp:

Last edited:
Not starting up the thread again....just concluding it a bit. The 9001 has all its knobs now!(The MIC level knob was missing). A new power meter has been installed....all 4 meters work now! AND 4 new original case screws are in place......the unit is back to stock.:thmbsp:

I have even tried the four channels once.....excellent sound through 4 old Bose 201's!:banana:

I think I may keep this baby..........we have kinda' become attached.....:thmbsp:

Oh no Anders......what are all these Pioneers turning up on your signature......Im sure the QRX would blow them out of the water!!!!

Hey Anders,
We been missing you..... word is, you've been off in Pioneer land, restoring big iron. Is that true? Glad you finally got all the little things working on the 9001. Show us a picture now that it's all back to stock. What about that other 9001? I been thinking about hooking up two of them in a big room with 8 speakers, 2 fronts and 6 surrounds, You could do it, too. wonder what it would sound like? Maybe 2 rears in Surround mode and 4 in hall mode. Then play some really spacy ambient, or electronica.

How are things in Slingapore?

Best

Hey fellas........I will post a few pictures of BOTH 9001's when I get back to Singapore.
I may just keep both because they are so DARN beautiful!
Yeah...I know.........been moonlightin' on a 1250.........fantastically easy to work on compared to the 9001's! Re-capping the boards was a cinch. Had some front glass made too......friggin' 8 bucks! I took EW's advice a found a glass cutter here in SING'....worked out great.

I know this is an old thread, but I just finished reading it. Congratulations Anderslober!! Job well done.

Also a small tip for you all, in this thread I have seen mention of a DBT (Dim Bulb Test), in a previous life I was an audio repair tech and used this quite extensively, but not as described. Because as Trnsfmr points out, there are some circuits that do not like to be run at a lower voltage.

What I had was a 60W bulb connected to both sides of a blown fuse, in the case of this massive repair, I would have placed it in the fuse (F07 I think?) that was blowing all the time. The same rules apply, if the bulb was bright, you have a short, if dim, maybe good and somewhat safe to replace with a fuse.

This would have saved on some parts costs, it was not always 100% effective, but it was pretty darn good.

Just something to think about the next time you have this issue. :)

Jim, I have been to your website, great info there, thank you very much for sharing, as I have a 9001 that I will be rebuilding sometime in the future, but that is a subject for another post...

Kev, love the pic of the Crown amp, just looked at the specs for them, WOW! That is one heck of an amp!

It was one heck of a journey on this project, it had me in suspense for the whole thread, I wanted to skip to the end to see how it turned, but I would have missed all the ups and downs. Great job all.

I know this is an old thread, but I just finished reading it. Congratulations Anderslober!! Job well done.

Also a small tip for you all, in this thread I have seen mention of a DBT (Dim Bulb Test), in a previous life I was an audio repair tech and used this quite extensively, but not as described. Because as Trnsfmr points out, there are some circuits that do not like to be run at a lower voltage.

What I had was a 60W bulb connected to both sides of a blown fuse, in the case of this massive repair, I would have placed it in the fuse (F07 I think?) that was blowing all the time. The same rules apply, if the bulb was bright, you have a short, if dim, maybe good and somewhat safe to replace with a fuse.

This would have saved on some parts costs, it was not always 100% effective, but it was pretty darn good.

Just something to think about the next time you have this issue. :)

Jim, I have been to your website, great info there, thank you very much for sharing, as I have a 9001 that I will be rebuilding sometime in the future, but that is a subject for another post...

Kev, love the pic of the Crown amp, just looked at the specs for them, WOW! That is one heck of an amp!

It was one heck of a journey on this project, it had me in suspense for the whole thread, I wanted to skip to the end to see how it turned, but I would have missed all the ups and downs. Great job all.

Welcome to AK, its good to know people still read through these threads when they are finished.....
I would hope they serve as some kind of inspiration to never give up, and as a reference to common faults and little tid bits of info specific to the model in question......

Yeah those Crowns are really something.......I love them..........
Heres one I was working on the other day....all output sections out.....
They use quite a few silver mica caps in the feedback circuit and for stability......when they go LoZ they can cause a few problems...
p1070194y.jpg

Im sure Anders wont mind us bumping his thread.......

Back
Top Bottom