Sansui RG-7 Equalizer display?

vega2k

I won a Sansui RG-7 equalizer from ebay. I received it yesterday and it looks in good condition. I hooked it up and all seems to work correctly. However, the multi-color display seems to just sit there and do nothing. I expected at least some interaction with the music or controls, but nothing happens. It seems like such a waste just to have a "pretty" 3D-like color design in glass serving no purpose. Anyone have one of these that can confirm that this is the way it's supposed to be or did I get a defective unit. Service Manual? Owner's Manual? Please help. :(

Sansui_RG-7_Stereo_EQ_web.jpg

EQs are received with mixed feelings around these parts. Someone may turn up with one to help. In the mean time, i once saw a RG 700 and all it did was just light up, no show. So that may be the case with yours.

What you have is a combo EQ/reverb unit. The display pertains to the reverb part. The reverb displays either pulsate, or do nothing.

Thank you for the feedback. So far, it sounds like the display is strictly for show, which is fine, but I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with the unit. It cost me little and it does have many features which I like, but I did go in thinking that it's display offered more than just a cool factor. :thmbsp:

I just acquired one of these, but I'm not sure how to attach it to my G-8700DB receiver... any help will be appreciated

What you have is a combo EQ/reverb unit. The display pertains to the reverb part. The reverb displays either pulsate, or do nothing.

This is correct, and the "pulsing" is just the display lights (there are 2 bulbs I say from memory) that get more or less voltage. Only when using the reverb function and often you probably won't even notice. So yes, the display is just for show I would say.

This is a nice toy to connect a microphone or guitar and use it with the Reverb function. And great to complete a pile of the same series equipment.

How to connect:
In generall you use the TAPE MONITOR in- and outputs to connect an EQ to an amp or reciever and then use the TAPE MONITOR switch to lead the signal through the EQ.

-John-

"How to connect:
In generall you use the TAPE MONITOR in- and outputs to connect an EQ to an amp or reciever and then use the TAPE MONITOR switch to lead the signal through the EQ."

Evidently my unit doesn't work :-(

"How to connect:
In generall you use the TAPE MONITOR in- and outputs to connect an EQ to an amp or reciever and then use the TAPE MONITOR switch to lead the signal through the EQ."

Evidently my unit doesn't work :-(

Did you push all the correct buttons? EQs usually have a "defeat" button that takes it out of the loop.

I've tried about everything... and I have an equalizer on another system that works just fine. The signal is making it through the RG-7 but it doesn't boost or cut any frequency with the slide controls

I've tried about everything... and I have an equalizer on another system that works just fine. The signal is making it through the RG-7 but it doesn't boost or cut any frequency with the slide controls
.....and the button Equalizer on/off is On ?

sansui RG-7 display

I have one of these and that is all the display does , just gets brighter or dimmer as you turn the knob, I also can't find my insruction manal, regards.

I used to own one of these in the early/mid 80s - when it worked properly the depth knob makes the yellowish part of the display get brighter or dimmer (and because of the way its built, the effect is that the 2 yellowish effects get bigger or smaller) to indicate how much echo is being provided. It's a pretty effect but fairly useless. As time went on, one side started failing, and the whole thing started to get brighter or dimmer if I recall correctly.

There are three bulbs in there. All must be working for the 'effect' to be noticeable.

There are also two versions of this eq. I can't remember the difference in the model number, but I went around the mulberry tree with this issue before.

That said, it's not an amazing display even when working properly.

I also just purchased this item on ebay except mine is the rg-7x which i believe the only difference is green led's on the eQ knobs…but when plugged in not hooked to anything i see nothing on the main display….this may be normal but I'm just concerned because the rg-707 i owned the graphics light up without being connected to anything just plugged in….problem being my amp pre amp and tuner are at my dads and i won't be there for a few more days and id like to know if i have burnt out bulbs or not so i can contact the seller

Back
Top Bottom