Sansui S-330

fmueller

Found a pair of Sansui S-330 today at the GW - $10 for the pair. Nice looking speaks, but haven't hooked them up yet. Are they likely keepers?

My 9 year old son has his b-day in September, and I am planning to set him up with a stereo system. It keeps on changing as I find different stuff, but the current plan is Denon DRA-345R, Sony CDP/DVD, and Technics tape deck. The Denon is a nice receiver but fairly low powered - guessing 40wpc. Would the Sansui S-330 be ok with that or are they more power hungry?

The speakers are in nice shape cosmetically. Other than needing a good cleaning, only one Sansui decal on a grill is missing. The woofers seem ok also, with the surrounds feeling like paper and being rock solid. The tweeters look ok. Only the mids have seen better days. Both dust caps are dented, and one cone has a rip. I was thinking about cutting off the dust caps, pushing them into shape, and re-using them. Can a paper cone be glued - possibly with a strip of extra paper on the back - or is that a big no-no?

Sansui-S-330-1.jpg

Sansui-S-330-5.jpg

Sansui-S-330-6.jpg

Sansui-S-330-4.jpg

Sansui-S-330-7.jpg

Sansui-S-330-2.jpg

Sansui-S-330-3.jpg

Well, I still don't know if they are particularly good, but at least the seem to be rare, if nobody here knows about them. :D

The closest I could find is the S-300 shown here, which appears to be pretty much the bottom of the barrel in the Sansui speaker line up. The S-330 look a little fancier, with the orange rings around the speakers :tongue:, but not by much.

Guess I'll have to hook them up and report back how much I like them.

Frank

I got some too!

I got some from a friend recently, for free. I wasn't expecting much. I tested them against those modern Pioneer Andrew Jones signature models (including sub) everyone's been raving about as being a pretty decent speaker for under $1000. (The Pioneers are about $150 for the pair and $150 for the sub.)

The Sansuis were certainly more efficient than the Pioneers. But even after matching the volume and tweaking the sub some more, it was still no contest. The old Sansuis were way better. They made the Pioneers sound muddy, even with the sub off.

I A/B tested with a couple other amps. For now I have them paired with an old Fischer Studio Standard which is nicely matched power-wise with these Sansuis. Very happy. Transforms the garage.

My favorite speakers at home are Heresys. I've not tried putting the Sansuis up against them. But who cares? As a low-power, low-cost, no-worry speaker, it's great! Definitely a better option than buying something modern unless you're prepared to spend $$$.

These would definitely rock a 9-year-old's room quite properly.

Finally, I would note that my speakers look virtually identical to the ones in the picture. No grilles anymore. Same wrinkled paper in one mid cone-- but only one! I thought it was damaged at first, but apparently it's just a manufacturing variance. It works fine.

Back
Top Bottom