Sansui S-930 Speakers?

Jonathan75

I am going to need some speakers after I get my 9090DB this week. I can pick up a pair of S-930's for $39. Is that a good deal and does the S-930 sound OK or is there something else I should hold out for?

Thanks

Never heard any myself but the best way to buy speakers is listen to them before you put your money down. Take a cd of the music you like best and see if they sound good to your ears.

I know a good amp can make a difference. Plus I think they are in this guys garage so nothing to hook it up to.

There is also a pair of SP-2000's I just found for $35.

Speakers

I know a good amp can make a difference. Plus I think they are in this guys garage so nothing to hook it up to.

For the 9090 consider a pair of SP 3500's....
Some hold Sansui speakers in disdain, however I think they are great!
But, your ears will be the best judge.
Casey

S-930 is a mid 80's models and SP-2000 (pipe duct) from 70's but much higher quality.
Ask AK member Bluesky how they sound.

S-930

3-Way, Acoustic Suspension cabinet
12" ribbed paper cone woofer, cloth suspension
4" paper cone midrange w/ Mylar dust cap
3/4" Mylar dome tweeter with diffusion lens
Presence / Treble control

Specs:
Frequency Response: 30-22,000Hz
Efficiency: 92dB 1w @ 1m
Nominal Impedance: 8Ω
Cross-over frequencies: at 3.5kHz & 6kHz

Pic for S-930 click thumbnail

Last edited:
If the S-930 speakers sound good, and you like the way they sound, get em.

$39 is the price of a carton of cigarettes!

I have 2 pair of SP-2000s. I really love the SP-2000 sound, so much so, I bought a second NOS pair, for the closet, for a later day. Stene once mentioned that SP-2000s were Sansui's biggest selling speakers. The pair I am using sound as good as new, don't know why, they just shouldn't sound that good being so old. They sound simply wonderful. But that is the sound I like, the sound I grew up on, 'that Sansui speaker type sound'. Do a quick 'search' in AK for SP-2000s and read the threads.

I'd go for the SP-2000s if they work. Alnico magnets. Of course, ya gotta make sure all the speakers work, and there is a bunch of speakers. And...you may need to recap the crossovers, but that's not hard, but it may have to be done. 1970 is awhile back.

Try em both and take the best sounding to you. $35 +/- is cheap.

If you 'like the sound of the S-930s better' and the cabinets are in better shape, I'd go for the S-930s.

'Speaker sound enjoyment' is in the ears of the listener!

And...we all know Sansui made the best speakers in the world!! :)

I have a pair of S-750's (12" woofer,4" mid, small cone tweeter). Manufactured in 1983. Came with the A-505 amp and the rest of the kit (tuner, cass, eq, tt, cabinet, etc).
They are the S-930's little brothers. The S-930's would have came with the A-707 or A-909 amp.
Not bad for what they are (cheap mid 80's Sansui). Nice veneer.
I recapped mine about a month ago. They were un-lined. There was only a piece of felt 12in square behind the woofer, thats all.
I lined them with 7mm cotton fibre blanket while I had them apart.
Made the world of difference.

Interestingly, they sound best when driven by a Sansui amp. I've tried them with other decent amps I own and they just don't sing as nice.

A friend had an even smaller 2-way set the came with his R-303 receiver.

Well I just found a pair of SP-3500's. I talked them down from $250.00 to $150.00. Is $150 a OK price? And is there anything I should watch out for when I am testing them?

Will they fit in the back seat of a Camry?

I just snagged a pair of 3500's for $80 last weekend, and besides from the fact that my amp is wimpy and I don't have an equalizer, I am loving them. Right after, another set popped up for 200$, so I would say that 150$ is a fair price given that everything is in working order. They fit in the trunk of a Grand Am, so they should fit in the Camry just fine.

Make sure to clean the controls on the back of the Sansui SP series, it can make the midrange and treble drivers intermittent and appear broken but they're not.

I had the 530s for awhile, they were free, and that was good because i would have considered any money spent on them wasted.

The SP series on the other hand, when paired with a vintage 'sui receiver is one sweet sounding system. I have the 300s, everyone whose heard them loves them.

Except the guy I got them from.

I am going to get them as soon as the guy gets off work today. You know they look so cool. I think I would get them for just looks alone. I need to find new grill foam, he says they all dry rotted.

I didn't get the speakers. One of the speakers had some really beat up grills, which negates the purpose of buying even just for looks. But worse then that the speakers sounded muddy and dark. I really need something that sounds clear and crisp with sweet highs.

The tweeters are probably fried, too bad, they're an average sounding speaker, not ugly, but as you can tell, in nice shape they are gorgeous.

Damn grilles are so delicate.

Looking into getting one for a SP-300 repoduced via CNC at a friends cabinet shop back home, if it works well, it would be a rather simple matter to reconfigure the basic design for almost any model that has the wood lattice I would think.

Back
Top Bottom