Sansui SC 2110 Left Channel High Pitch Frequency

VOiD187

Hello to all. I recently received a Sansui SC 2110 from a friend of a friend to replace it’s belts. I was able to do so with out issue. I was told that this unit was never played since the owner acquired it. I hooked it up to the variac and slowly introduced current back into it. After getting it back up to 120, I proceeded with cleaning and demagnetizing the tape head. While doing so, I noticed the left VU meter peg out and the right bounce back & forth. Upon playing an actual cassette the left channel emits a high pitch (minimal audio if any) and I have some sound coming through the right channel. I personally have never worked on cassette decks but worked on numerous receivers. If anyone could point me a general direction on where I should start my trouble shooting, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Clean the record/play switch. Basically, since the unit is a two head deck, it shares the playback circuits with the record circuits in some areas. There is a long switch with 20 or so contacts, about 5" long and narrow 1/4" that selects the circuits used . Because most decks are only used to playback, the switch is never moved and the contacts go bad from oxidation. Move the switch by going between record and play while cleaning. Report back after cleaning.

Problem solved! Alternated the Rec/Play and she sings! Thanks to AudioWizard and pustleniakr, the Sansui lives to see another day. Thank you guys very much!

Last edited:
Just one more quick question. I was using a Dylan greatest hits cassette and I’m not sure if my ears are deceiving me but I feel like he sounds just a tad slower than usual. Bare in mind I’m suffering from allergies right now and my ears aren’t 100% up to par for a quality sound check. Are there any measurements I can take with my multimeter to ensure the motor is spinning at the proper speed? From what I read, this testing calls for VTVM and oscilloscope, which I yet to own. Plus Sansui tuning cassettes. Is there a poor mans method to get me by until I save enough can money for more testing gear?

Last edited:
Could possibly be the condition of the cassettes I’m using too because I just played Phil Collins Easy Lover and it was rocking! Spot on with timing too.

To check speed, you need a 3KHZ or 3.15KHZ tape and and a way to measure the frequency ( Wow and flutter meter or frequency counter) that the tape produces when played back on said tape deck. Also be sure to clean the capstan, pinch roller, belts, pulleys before checking the speed. I would run it awhile before too.

Thank you once again AudioWizard. I’m going to track everything down everything that I need and I’ll report back with my results. To be continued...

Hello once again! Sorry for delay with the SC-2110 update. After purchasing the required 3khz test tape and frequency counter, I was able to zero in the SC-2110 motor speed. Let’s just say the owner was beyond happy to hear that beauty sing once again! Very impressive unit to say the least. Thanks again for the assistance in bringing it back to life. Cheers!

Clean the record/play switch. Basically, since the unit is a two head deck, it shares the playback circuits with the record circuits in some areas. There is a long switch with 20 or so contacts, about 5" long and narrow 1/4" that selects the circuits used . Because most decks are only used to playback, the switch is never moved and the contacts go bad from oxidation. Move the switch by going between record and play while cleaning. Report back after cleaning.
I had the same problem and cleaning the contacts worked. Thank you

Reading your first post it sounds like you had the deck powered up while demagnetizing? I believe that is a big no-no.

Back
Top Bottom