sansui scams

smurfer77

Hi folks,

I know we don't usually discuss items for sale outside of barter town, but I'm not trying to buy or sell anything in this thread.

The purpose of this thread is to make a regularly updated place were likely sansui related scams can be reported and avoided. Let's face it, most of the people going for those Sansui AU-111 from Peru are also on this sansui forum.

So please, let's keep to the rules and not try to buy or sell anything here, but inform one another about likely scams, as they occur.

Cheers
David

Last edited:
First off, there are two sansui items on ebay right now that look dodgy: AU-111 and 1000

These items are from a zero feedback user from Peru with the username audiophile1950.

I previously bid on a scam AU-111 also from Peru from with the username audiophile1959, which was also a new account. This turned out to be a scam. The same AU-111 (exactly same pics) had been sold before under a similar username from Peru also. Of course there is no promise this is the same person, but it certainly looks suspicious.

I hate eBay for this reason alone the second bid pushing . Who bids on BS?

I did it once, to test ebay. I got my money back instantly (well, instantly after waiting the 4 weeks shipping period), but they had no interest in the info I collected on previous listings from the same guy and his previous usernames etc. In this case, the guy has made a lot more listings. usually he just makes 2 or 3 per username. And, the listings are still up, despite reports. I wonder why ebay is so slow to act on this stuff.

Last edited:
I wonder why ebay is so slow to act on this stuff.

Lots of possible reasons:
  • eBay makes money even with bad dealers.
  • eBay has included the cost of fraud in its profit margins
  • eBay finds it too difficult to screen out fraudsters who simply re-registers under new names
  • eBay has figured that the customer base for vintage audio is too small to worry about
Meh...who knows.

What's the scam? New sellers need to wait for a time period to get the funds. Pretty sure that the Item has to be marked as delivered, and then it's another few days, up to 30, until funds are available in PayPal. Are they sending out a box of nothing, in hopes that the funds get deposited? Seems like the real scammers are working from the buyers end anyway.

I think this peru guy gets the pay pal funds clearing, at least sometimes.

In my case he marked the item as delivered only after almost a week, and it gets a shipping estimate of 4-5weeks. At least, in my case, this is how long the shipping estimate was from Peru to California with his fake tracking number etc and this is what ebay goes by (you can't report the item as non-delivered until after the shipping estimate date). So this is already 5-6 weeks after payment.

This may be cutting it a bit close for the paypay clearing, but if you check his latest listings that end tomorrow (Feb 25), they say they can't ship until Mar 5. So this added another week or so before you can flag it as non-delivered on ebay. So we are at something like 7-8 weeks between paypal payment and when you can open a non-delivery case with ebay.

Last edited:
Right. those are definitely the same AU-111 pics from the scammer.

The same person has a bunch of Scott gear listed this time, which is a change of pace; also has an AU-70 on ebay now. #231878192150

wow. this Peru guy is coming back and scamming big time now.
he just has the same 2nd AU111 in another listing.
two AU111 listing at the same time.

username: tecnophile1959
item # : 252324516064
he must be making a lot of money from his scams.

Looking to the pictures, this is not the same AU-111 in the two ads.

There is rust around sochets screws on one and not on the other, also the modified output binding posts are installed differently.

Rusty transformers vs clean transformers...

The faceplates also are differents.

Looking to the pictures, this is not the same AU-111 in the two ads.

There is rust around sochets screws on one and not on the other, also the modified output binding posts are installed differently.

Rusty transformers vs clean transformers...

The faceplates also are differents.

Yup, but i definitely remember these pics from a previous fraudulent listing. This guy is busy this month :)

the current AU 111 listing item #

this unit was "sold" in the most recent listing #

Don't you have to have 25 completed sales before they stop holding your money ? And that I believe is eBay, not Paypal. But no matter what, people do not work for free. Thus the only logical conclusion is that there is something about the banking laws in Peru that allows this guy to profit somehow.

Similarly, in the US if you take a fake money order for example, the bank is bound by federal law to make the funds available in a certain amount of time. What has happened is that people send a supposedly good cashier's check, money order or whatever, buy something and then weeks later it is found to be fraudulent. Then the bank disgorges your account which may cause a negative balance and thus exorbitant overdraft fees. I am sure the banks have NO problem with that "regulation" "imposed" upon them. Now if congress tried to limit the fees you would see so much lobby money in there that even AIPAC would drool. But this is just fine.

It depends on the government of Peru. As far as I know, in most civilised countries you need proof of ID to open a bank account. So sooner or later they will shut this guy down. If they don't or can't because of the law maybe Paypal will. They could just say "Hmm, how much money we make on transactions to and from Peru last year ? Four dollars ? Well we just ain't dealing with Peru anymore". Nobody in Peru can force anyone to do business with them. That includes Paypal. Or they might put up a warning when you sign in stating that refunds are not possible with payments made to locations in Peru. The government would eventually react and fix this shit. If people cannot send money INTO the country, that is not good for the country.

I don't know. You need a government issued ID to open a bank account in the US. It might not be like that in Peru. If it is not, look for a change because they are not going to put up with being isolated like that. Paypal is big, worldwide.

Another thing, buy something from Peru ? Why ? Look at Enaldo, poor guy cannot get a frikken transistor shipped. How can it be cost effective to ship something that actually weighs from there ? I have checked into DHL's rates and they are ridiculous. Who else is there ? They got a better post office than Germany ? (I heard it sucks)

I don't see how the guy can even do this, like I said the laws must be quite different there. Maybe like the Cayman Islands or something, which is where the government contractors hide their money these days.

Last time I took checks it was for a repair, I had the guy's unit hostage. For a simple sale I would insist on a postal money order because you can call an 800 number and find out if it is real. People got LASER printers these days and can print just about anything. Even money if you know how to crack the software to allow it. (but you can't get the right paper anymore) You can reproduce almost anything, and even those funky looking numbers at the bottom printed in magnetic ink ? Well that is what LASER printers use. Works just fine.

And actually is legal to print checks with YOUR account and routing numbers on them. Someone else's on the other hand, not so much if you try to use them.

You know, they touted this cashless society shit as being good for us as we cannot get robbed. Bullshit, it did nothing of the sort. I think they just wanted all the money.

I also would like to know how those Nigerian scammers get paid. They must have some funny banking laws there as well. If they are still doing it they are still getting paid.

All in all I am leery of international transactions for many reasons.

Last edited:
Don't you have to have 25 completed sales before they stop holding your money ? And that I believe is eBay, not Paypal. But no matter what, people do not work for free. Thus the only logical conclusion is that there is something about the banking laws in Peru that allows this guy to profit somehow.

The holds from ebay/paypal are not an issue for this guy as explained in post #12. However, you I guess you are likely right about the bank accounts. To do this over and over the person is likely setting up new bank accounts (and associated paypal accounts) each round. That said, I don't get the impression ebay cares that much about policing this stuff so who knows if they guy has to work that hard (I keep reporting the various auctions as fraudulent and they keep going ahead to completion).

Anyway, I guess we shouldn't go off onto a big thread about banking etc on the sansui forum; the idea is just to give a 'heads-up' to AK sansui collectors.

Back
Top Bottom