sansui scams

It's already sold. Poor bastard. Looking at the seller's other items, it sure looks like Henry's MO!

- Pete

NY address, frequent use of capitalization, Sansui and Accuphase items, high price items, minimal feedback. Also picture don't allow you to see voltage rating on back (Japanese unit?). It's him. Haven't seen him for a good while. Maybe he passed on and son is filling his shoes? Also, he could have sold it to alias self to boost positive feedback.

Marc

How does this seller get 100% feedback from 851 transactions....if he is not legit ? Never mind, I tapped into the wrong seller after going through the link above in post # 39. But still 11 transactions at 100% so how does that happen unless the transactions were good ?

Last edited:
The typical MO is that they sell some smaller low value stuff like clothes and shoes to build a bit of positive feedback. It takes some time and effort, but once they've done that, they use the account so cultivated to do whatever this scam is.

I still haven't figured out how they can benefit from this, as a bogus transaction just gets charged back and he doesn't get the money (and ebay is somewhat notorious for favoring buyers over sellers in disputes).

Must he worth their while somehow, as this has been going on for a looooong time now.

If you and your relatives/helpers have set up many accounts and built up positive feedback from small or larger transactions involving legitimate sellers, you can then use these to buy your own items to build up positive feedback. Of course, this involves some Ebay fees but these might be small compared to the money you make on a high priced item, the big scam. These accounts survive when the scammer closes or loses his account and can be used again. How they get away with the big scam is a mystery unless Ebay stops watching and pays them directly after a certain number of successful transactions.

So, typically Henry Louis has some French connection in his seller name. I may be reaching here but if you Google hartane you get an area in Mauritania a former French colony.

It's likely the scammer strings the buyer along delaying, the "shipment" again and again until the transaction is beyond the eBay's time limit for support. The payment clears and if the buyer complains eBay/paypal says something like sorry, you should have contacted us before 90 days.

- Pete

He seems to have had 3, yes 3 ! SE-99's I thought these things were as rare as hen's teeth.

As suggested, probably selling them to himself (probably 'virtual' SE-99's :)), thus building up a transaction history. :(

Last edited:
Pete,

That could be, but these days is anyone buying on ebay really that naive to let an unsatisfactory transaction go outside the 90 day window of resolution? 3 months is a long time. If I didn't get what I paid for inside of 1 month, I'd be up PayPal/Ebays ass with a flashlight looking for my refund. And if that didn't fly I'd be on the horn with my card issuer arranging a chargeback on the basis of a fraudulent transaction.

Nobody needs 3 months plus to get it right selling on ebay. And if one does need that much time (as the seller) then you've clearly misrepresented your wares. So, a refund needs to be cheerfully given and the item resold and then sell later when it can actually be delivered promptly. 90 days of excuses without action taken as a buyer? No way, no how.

I just find it hard to believe he can find that many suckers who will get strung along until he can give them the big kiss off with no consequence. A seller outside the country may get some more leeeway from me since there are always shipping and customs clearance delays. But, maybe I underestimate the capacity for idiocy.

And 3 SE-99'S? Yeah, they're pretty rare. Even more so with the light pen or wired remote. I have three fully working and equipped units here after 2 decades of active, concentrated collecting. Have two more as parts units as the florescent display panels have an unfortunate habit of breaking the internal filament wires, making the displays worthless.

Someday maybe I'll engineer a replacement from LED's, but that's a long way off with other more pressing project in the pipeline. Until then, those units are boat anchors.
Enough with that digression, however.

Keep in mink these are rare and valuable units, not just another pair of socks. These choice pieces are perfect bait for a con man. The buyer's desire to acquire clouds his reasoning. It must work, he keeps doing it.

- Pete

Back
Top Bottom