1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Sansui SE-9

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by zeprok123, Aug 8, 2018.

1. zeprok123

zeprok123 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Recently saw this and I just had to have it! I've always been a fan of Sansui, owning a 7070, 9090 etc Long story short, it made it's way from Guam to me here in the Chicago area. Physically it's in great shape but when I press the flat button the motor shaft on the right of pic spins but doesn't make contact with the gear. I noticed looking at the pic the shaft seems to extend farther out than the motor on left. Could that be the issue? I've got both manuals. I have no idea how to adjust right motor "y axis"? I hate dealing with dial strings and pulleys. Any ideas? I've got a tech locally I just may take it to but would love to figure it out.

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. maxhifi

maxhifi AK Subscriber Subscriber

That's a worm gear, you're right, it's supposed to be centered on the gear it's driving. I would remove the two screws holding the motor in, and then figure out why the worm isn't firmly attached to the shaft of the motor. If the nylon has cracked, you could be out of luck. If the worm gear is okay, Clean the motor shaft and the worm gear with alcohol, put a drop of glue into the hole of in the worm gear, and push it on to the shaft. Let the glue dry, and then mount the motor back on its screws. It should then work.

Clean all that old grease off the gears with alcohol, and smear a bit of lithium grease or similar on them for lubrication.

3. zeprok123

Ok, thanks. Getting to those 2 screws will be a challenge but I'm up for it. Might not be until this weekend. Can't wait to get it working. Don't have the original mic for it so I bought the Behringer mic and phantom ps that other AKer's have recommended.

4. zeprok123

Yesterday I was able to remove the 2 screws that hold motor to metal plate. Ideally a small offset ratchet screwdriver would have worked nice but had to remove front cover and move right channel circuit board a little so I could use
    screwdriver. Worm gear was in tact so I pushed on motor shaft and it moved back into motor. Could it be this simple? Put everything back together and fired it up and wasn't it expecting it to work but sure enough it is. Took a video of
    the start up but I was so happy I may have said a few expletives, so I'll just post the pic of shaft pushed back into motor.

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      65.8 KB
      Views:
    maxhifi likes this.
  5. zeprok123

Well, it was fun while it lasted. Worked fine for awhile but then same motor is buzzing and maybe has an internal issue. I've read these motors are hard to find and unable to open for repair. I think I'll trying lining gears up again and shoot some faderlube inside. Here's a link to a video I made showing it working then not.

6. zeprok123

Took motor out again and pushed worm gear out from motor shaft a little with a flat screwdriver thinking that it should match the X-motor. Didn't use any spray in motor shaft.
    Still not working. So at this point I know both motors are working and unit was working for awhile. Something I saw on SM was that the distance between the spring that adjusts
    string tension was 2-3 mm as shown in picture. Whenever I tried pinching the brackets to make spring tension tighter the unit worked for awhile. I'm wondering if I need to replace
    the spring at the y-axis motor?

Attached Files:

• 052.jpg
      052.jpg
      File size:
      38.2 KB
      Views:

7. maxhifi

In that video, is the worm gear slipping on the shaft, or is the shaft going in and out on the motor? Also, what's the buzzing sound, I can't tell what moved?

I think a drop of glue to keep the worm gear on the shaft would be a big help, also, make sure there's not bad lubricant making the string need excessive force to move.

8. zeprok123

I don't believe worm gear is slipping. It took some force to pry it out a little on shaft. There is some in and out play of the motor shaft. I think the buzzing is the 2 gears not lining up. Motor works fine when removed
    with no buzzing. I think I'll swap springs today and see what happens. The tension on string has some slack and when I make it tighter it works a little. The screw that adjusts the tension can't be tightened any further
    so hoping it's the spring. I'll look into the bad lube thought also, thanks

9. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

What mechanism is being driven by that worm gear? The gear moving on the shaft could be a symptom of a very different mechanical problem. Check the mechanism that moves when that motor is activate. I'm willing to bet its stuck or not moving smoothly causing an excessive load on the gear train.

- Pete

10. zeprok123

It moves the string that controls y-axis of the EQ controls. A pic says it best. maxhifi mentioned above that the lubricant could be bad. Maybe that's putting excess load on gear. Tomorrow I'll give it a good cleaning of the old grease. I did have it working after I pushed shaft in, I have the video, lol. thanks Pete

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      68.8 KB
      Views:
  11. maxhifi

That black goo all over everything can't be helping much, a Q-tip saturated in 99% isopropyl alcohol, and lots of patience, will get it all off. then you can try again.

12. zeprok123

Thanks again, I've read as much as I can find on Google regarding this EQ and I did find that the black goo sounds like it is from factory. Gets old over time? I've got the recipe, Q-tips and 99% alcohol, and yes, patience is a virtue so I hear. Luckily I'm off this week.

13. zeprok123

Noticed a few of my posts were deleted a few weeks ago after AK did some maintenance work, so I'd like to summarize what I've done since and end with a question.
    Initial problem was motor shaft extended out to far for gears to line up correctly.
    After pushing shaft in the unit worked great for a few minutes. Motors, pulleys and string went through cycle of adjusting controls
    with no noise from gears.
    Now the unit is stuck all the way to the right side. It is suppose to finish it's cycle on the left side.
    Per the SM I've done the "Self checking function & trouble shooting in microprocessor" on page 6.
    LED 2 light comes on which is "no detection of initial motor drive position."
    On page 11 of SM I checked the regulated PS voltage and is was right on at 5V.
    I did the comparator adjustment test and I got point 9Vs and the manual calls for 9V
    When I adjusted Vr4 I could only raise voltage to just over 1 volt.
    I also tested various voltage readings on F-3504 per the schematic and I'm getting readings
    way off in a few places. I'm assuming a component has failed but I'm not skilled in tracing
    CB for problem. Is it more likely that a cap, resistor, transistor or IC has failed?
    Is there a method of checking voltages on this board at a certain spot where the voltage
    is correct and then another spot where voltage is wrong to isolate bad part?
    I have the best copy of SM I could find but still hard to read voltages everywhere.
    thanks all

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  14. zeprok123

If someone with a working SE-9 can check this voltage for me on your machine I sure would appreciate it.

Comparator.jpg

15. zeprok123

Can someone tell me if in the picture of the Transformer (T1) I am suppose to read 10 volts at both points 22 and 24? thanks

T1.jpg