Sansui Serial Number Database Update

Dear Sansui owners, I have recently bought 9090db and want to recap it.
I'm not a technical guy but I think I can find someone to do this in Istanbul where I live.
Would any of you have the list of whole capacitors in the device ?
I would be grateful if you would share with me the list of capacitors and also any way to improve the sound quality ?
Many thanks, regards.
Murat

The July update is available. 59 new serial numbers and 4 previously unlisted models. You can access the report from the link in the first post in this thread. Keep the serial numbers coming!

- Pete

Serial Number posted in August are now available by clicking on the link in the first post in this thread. The report has a new feature this month as suggested by AK member lbcgav. The header with the model name and equipment type is now carried over to the top of the next page when the serial numbers for a model extend to more than one page.

Thanks to everyone that contributed this month. There are 35 new serial numbers and 5 previously unreported models.

Keep the serial numbers coming. Click on the link in my signature block below to add yours to the September upload.

- Pete

The September Serial Number report is available. It has all the serial numbers posted between the last report and October 3rd. There were 67 new serial numbers and 5 previously unreported models this month. A very good haul.

The report also contains updates to the decade reference for the RA-500/700 and several other models that were discussed in other threads.

Thanks to everyone that contributed this month.

- Pete

B-2101, 404080316, BigElCat
C-2101, 626022846, BigElCat

Now, why are we doing this ?

I bought the amp off of Etsy. Suppose it's stolen, with a police report on file. Boom, I'd be the criminal.

Why?
Partly for understanding modifications made during production runs, and partly for curiousity to know just how many are still out there being enjoyed. I am sure there are other reasons, but it isn't really to track individual ownership, Pete thoughtfully masks this information when he publishes updates. ;)

The database isn't set up to track ownership. Originally the "reporter" name wasn't even recorded. The only thing I use it for is to try to verify serial numbers when there are two units that appear to have the same serial number. We had one of those in last month's batch. Kind of like finding someone sitting in your seat on an airplane. You have to look at the boarding pass to sort it out. I take personal privacy very seriously. Someone would need to give me a damn good reason, like a subpoena, to give up the "reporter" information.

The database is intended to track production. It defines the date range when a particular model was built and gives a rough idea about production quantities. We are starting to use it to track production changes but that's a little difficult because the reporter has to be savvy enough to accurately identify these factory modification. Sansui made production changes so routinely that won't be possible to track them all. That said, some models had significant revisions during production that should be relatively easy to track, for example, the addition of the speaker relay to the Eight or the deletion of engraved face plates on the Eight Deluxe. I want to start tracking major board changes like the 5050/6060, G-7700 and many others.

Participation in the database is voluntary. I will poke people to post serial number but I won't badger you if there's no response to my poke. I'm always open to suggestions on better ways to use, display or record this data.

- Pete

Thank you. Mystery (to me) explained.

The serial number database is intended to:
  • Track duplicate serial numbers. (EX?: A unit made in 1981 might share a serial number with one from 1971?)
  • Track unit production ( assembly lines and dates )
  • Track model production changes in a model's production run.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom