Sansui Seven Dial Pointer Lamp Replacement

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by Airjmax, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Airjmax

Airjmax AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm looking for help/guidance in changing the dial pointer lamp on my recently-acquired Sansui Seven receiver. I've located the lamp after removing the cover, but it looks like the faceplate will have to be removed to access the "carrier" that holds the lamp. Specific questions I have are:
    - Can it be replaced without removing the faceplate?
    - Is it possible to splice in the lamp? The wire ends run into a board, and appear to be glued in place where they enter a metal cover.
    - Can anyone tell me the name of the tool used to remove the rings around the headphone/tape monitor/playback jacks? I don't want to use pliers (even with tape on them). I'm afraid of scratching the faceplate. I have removed enough of these rings to justify buying a proper tool.
    - Can the leads be soldered in any manner, or is there a positive/negative/ground I need to be aware of.
    I am pretty much a noob, but I can solder and work with care, so I feel like replacing the lamp will be a good learning experience.
    Thanks in advance for helping with this. I have learned an incredible amount about vintage audio equipment from you all, and I enjoy the community here.
    -Airjmax

Please register to disable this ad.

2. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

Before you condemn the lamp, check it's power supply. It may be wired to turn off when not using the tuner. If so, the switch contacts may be dirty. They may just need to be cleaned.

- Pete

3. Airjmax

Thanks Pete. It does power off when not using the tuner, in fact all the tuning dial lights go out. I've cleaned all the contacts on all the pots, and all the other lamps work as they should. A friend has a Seven with the same issue. Maybe a common problem?

4. Airjmax

Looks like I can close this thread, I dove into the repair and figured it out. @LBPete the lamp was indeed burnt out. I appreciate your suggestion. This project was challenging, but I stuck with it and carefully got it done properly.
    Thanks to @GD70 for his advice and support. You are great Glenn! Here is the working lamp...
    fullsizeoutput_ae5.jpeg

swamppirate likes this.
  5. GD70

GD70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Glad it worked out and I've always loved illuminated tuner dial pointers.
    Glenn