I would be very careful using a solvent to loosen the suspension and over exercising the speaker( long excursions) I did that once and ruined a good woofer. Just use the loudness button or bass control and play it normally . Mine have all come around that way .

You are correct! It is part of the VC wire. I did push it back around the coil former and tried tucking it down with edge of a business card but to no avail. Same rattle and no other evidence of causes anywhere.i never did push the cone very far. No more than 1/4” cause the stiff surround just does not flex and I was concerned about damaging something. I think letting a 20hz signal rattle it for 20 minuets was enough to tip it over the edge. Even though was at low volume I did have the loudness engaged and bass turned 3/4 way up. It was humming for sure and that’s when the rattle started. Looks like another lesson learned THE HARD WAY on the HiFi Highway.
:whip:
And so it goes. But hey, that’s how I roll. :cool:

I will keep my eyes out for aother W200 Woofer cause I really do like these speakers.
JD

Just for the heck of it inspect the cabinet with the rattle closely for ANYTHING else (loose crossover component, other loose fastener, loose or broken grill, foreign object, etc, etc) that could be the source of a rattle or buzz. You still might get lucky.

Not that there's really a lot of hope, that wire does point to voice coil damage. But it costs nothing to look....

Just for the heck of it inspect the cabinet with the rattle closely for ANYTHING else (loose crossover component, other loose fastener, loose or broken grill, foreign object, etc, etc) that could be the source of a rattle or buzz. You still might get lucky.

Not that there's really a lot of hope, that wire does point to voice coil damage. But it costs nothing to look....
I actually pulled the speaker and was inspecting the spider and isolated the rattle to the voice coil while holding it outside the box. Is it possible to replace voice coils?

Hay,

Put a search on your smartphone or whatever on ebay and source a good replacement. They won't cost much, easy to do. Unless you've got a local tech who can competently repair such issues.

Biggles

I actually pulled the speaker and was inspecting the spider and isolated the rattle to the voice coil while holding it outside the box. Is it possible to replace voice coils?
A very skilled technician can sometimes successfully replace a voice coil. The first thing you need is a quality replacement coil, and these are available only for certain often-repaired drivers (think JBL and Cerwin Vega,). Then your tech must successfully unglue the spider from the cone, and then the coil from the cone, without damaging the cone. Should this operation fail, the job turns into 'reconing,' which obviously requires sourcing an OEM equlivaent cone, assuming one exists.

For the SP-200, such parts won't exist. You just need another woofer. Not a common item, but one will turn up sooner or later.

I just refinished re-capping my SP200s as rkgren1 suggested (the cheap way) and WOW! The mids and highs are SO much better. The first one took a couple of hours and the 2nd because I figured out the tricks took about an hour. $8 of parts from Parts Express and unfortunately $8 in shipping too. The 24MF caps were super out of spec. One was > 80 if I remember correctly and the other was really hard to get a reading out of (but was not open).

Found a good W200 Woofer on the bay for $25. Will have next week. Also another set of crossovers so Ican get matching set. This was because as seen in earlier pics above opened the cab There are different inductors on the slightly higher SN one that had the damaged Woofer. Hoping this is OK to switch these crossovers so both are identical. Will post again once installed.

I know this thread is several years old but I was hoping someone might be able to help me find a replacement tweeter for my SP-200s.

Reading this thread led me to do a recap and I’m pretty happy with the results. I paid $80 for the pair and the cabinet and grills are in great shape. I noticed my right speaker was missing the nice highs so I found this thread, cleaned the switch and did the recap. One tweeter in that speaker came back to the life and the other didn’t. I pulled it and checked it on a multi meter...no resistance.

I know they occasionally pop on eBay and such but didn’t know if anyone knew of other places to look or if any other Sansui tweeters might work in its place if I can’t find a direct replacement? I get that probably any 16ohm tweeter will probably work but I don’t want it to sound drastically different from the other.

Ok. I'm a player on the 200s! Bought a really nice pair and have solen caps in route. This will be my third or fourth re-cap job. Can't wait to break em in and compare to my VL modded optimus 5s. Will report & record info as needed.

Ok. I'm a player on the 200s! Bought a really nice pair and have solen caps in route. This will be my third or fourth re-cap job. Can't wait to break em in and compare to my VL modded optimus 5s. Will report & record info as needed.
The cloth surrounds were very stiff with age on mine which reduced bass response. I think best fix is to redo the surrounds with new cloth or foam surrounds. Either can be had at Simply Speakers.

They had some type of sealer that clogged up and hardened, i removed it with acetone, & resealed with the new AR sealer stuff. That seems to be working for my opto-5s. I'll give it some thought after a nice break-in & demo, but these may be for-sale. Maybe.

Fresh recap test this wonderful Christmas Day... Test via Aja LP of course... just like any other speaker test.
20211225_135649.jpg
Pay no attention to the cheesy stands please.
Before:
20211225_070134.jpg
After:
20211225_115521.jpg

Back
Top Bottom