Sansui SP-300 Alnico horn speaker

Number 9

I've found a pair of these sitting in a corner of a used furniture store.

Massive build. Kind of odd-ball, used several small alnico magnets per driver, rather than one big magnet.

One 12" woofer, 1 sqwacker that cuts in at about 1Khz, and then two tweeter horns at 6.4K.

Seems kind of rare. Should I rescue them?

Last edited:
Hmmm, seems interesting. What are they asking for them ? I'd get em' if the price was right.

J

Number ...why????.....why ..are you askin such a dumb question......you should have them home, polished up and crankin by now.....my goodness...if you dont want them....get them for me...I'll rescue them..........LOL......

Well ... they are not gonna sit in a museum, but my listening room. So, even though they are kind of odd-ball, I was hoping somebody knew more about them than what I've been able to find out so far. I'm a big boy, don't need permission, but minding my pennies.

Kabukis?

:confused:

Last edited:
What does Kabuki meen ? I've seen you guys say it several times in referance to the sansui speakers.

Can there be such a thing as a Kabuki-hybrid? :p:

On one hand, they definetly do look Kabuki (now that I now know what ithe hell t means). Sansui did not really need to stick two tweeters in there, otherwise it would have been a simple three-way speaker. BTW - that is a huge port - my guess at least 4" circumfrence.

On the other hand, there is some neat stuff going on. Alnico magnets - and not just any type of alnico magnets - but several (up to 8 per driver). Mid-horn is quite big, covering from 1K to to 6.5K. Quite a good range.

I'll try to have a listen at the shop and see if they sound Kabuki.

My parents have a pair of the other speakers on that flyer, the SP-200's, they are not that fantatistic of a speaker but they are ok. I like them because thats what I grew up listening to and am used to their sound. I have a pair of SP-X7000's that are about 8 or 9 years newer that are a lot better sounding than the 200's. I don't think that the mid to late 70's sansui speakers are very kabuki, have some kenwoods from the 80's that defenitly are with plastic trim rings and as light as a feather. I have some Pioneer CS-77a and I think I might like them a little better than the SP-X7000 but I just got the 7000s so we'll have to see.

Jackson

I'm considering whether to buy a pair of SP-300's, they want approx $240. The cabinets seem well constructed, but am wondering if the drivers are quality product.

I'm considering whether to buy a pair of SP-300's, they want approx $240. The cabinets seem well constructed, but am wondering if the drivers are quality product.
From the brochure

Attachments

• SP300 drivers.jpg
    SP300 drivers.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 242
SP 300's are my favorite Sansui speaker ever, suitable for use with tube gear or low power units they faithfully reproduce sound as good as any manufacturer I have ever heard.
They are in my main setup, and will always remain there.
Casey

may I suggest you post a new thread, this one's pretty old...

OK and thanks for the input! The seller was unable to tell me if the drivers were original, so I passed and someone else has already snapped them up. Thanks again.

Very old thread here. If I may bring life back to this. The SP-300. Sansui,s finest. I've heard numerous pairs of Sansui,s and I must admit. They sound not so great. But I am fortunate enough to own a pair of SP-300,s. And they are my favorite. Totally different and probably the only model Sanui produced that sound great. Seriously. Don't ever knock them unless you hear a pair. The build is amazing. If you ever get a chance to buy a pair. Do it. If you don't agree I'll gladly buy them from you.

Oh. One more thing. That 6" port is not for decoration. These have the absolute best bass response imaginable.

Back
Top Bottom