Sansui SP-3500 Speakers Recap Project

hello, forgive ... I have a doubt before buying :rolleyes:
because the capacitors to buy, are from 400 VDC
and not from 50 V or 35 V
--- visible from photos cross over
Question '?' can not you buy them with the same values?
thank you

The capacitors quoted are high end poly caps rated at 400vdc.
But there isn't any reason you can't use ones rated at 100vdc or 250vdc.

"chokes unlimited" sells poly caps (the best), and Mylar caps (almost as good as poly). The Mylar caps can be found at lower voltage ratings. But I wouldn't go below 100v

Thanks for the detailed info on reviving your vintage speakers.
Love those Sansui 3500's from the 70's! They have often been underrated, when the truth is they produce some wonderful sound and are certainly much more than just the 'Kabuki speakers' which some try to label them.

Last edited:
Step 3: Put in your new cap (see Pic 6)
Identify the correct SOLEN cap with the correct uF and simply solder it on to the same spot. I used some Elmer’s glue to help hold the cap in place. Whether you choose to use some heat shrinks on the leads is totally up to you. Note: I noticed that the leads from the new caps did not go into the existing holes on the board easily, so I used a pushed pin to slightly widen the holes to make the fitting work better.

Repeat Step 2-3 for the remaining caps.

Clear detailed information and pictures..... and it is nice to see more attention paid to the Sansui speaker side of things. I was wondering about the two caps close together at the bottom left hand side of the board. Was their any problem adding the 2 new caps here, as the space is limited and the new caps are so much larger ?

good morning guys, I would like to know ... if anyone knows?
the 3 coils, or inductances, what values do they have? ....
- 1- CL-C1503A
- 2- CL -C503A
- 3- CL-C304B

I have in mind to redo, all the new crossover!
Thank you: :music:

ragazzi buon giorno , vorrei sapere ... se qualcuno lo sa ?
le 3 bobine , o induttanze , che valori hanno ? ....
-1- CL -C1503A
-2- CL -C503A
-3- CL-C304B

Avrei in mente di rifare , tutto il cross over nuovo !
grazie

When I re-capped my SP-3005's, I used axial non-polar electrolytic capacitors from https://qcomponents.ca/
I found the selection of crossover capacitors to be very limited at the regular distributors such as mouser, digikey, etc.

Your mileage may vary, but I think that these old kabuki style Sansui speakers are unlikely to make the difference between capacitor types audible. The real goal in replacement here, is to set the clock back to zero, and allow the crossover to function as intended. They are fun speakers, and very sensitive, but they're not in the same league as more serious audiophile products.

A normal electrolytic capacitor, which is polarized, is intended for DC applications, All speaker crossover capacitors always pass AC, so they must be non-polar, or bipolar. A bipolar electrolytic capacitor is internally nothing more than two polar capacitors connected back to back capacitors in series. In a pinch, you can do this yourself - i.e. teo 10uF polar capacitors back to back in series makes a 5uF capacitor, etc.
For a true "rest" you'd need to remagnatize all the drivers, 5 or more seconds in a 600 volt coil winding. Or glue on new magnets on the backs of the speakers. " deflection side down, not easy to do.

For a true "rest" you'd need to remagnatize all the drivers, 5 or more seconds in a 600 volt coil winding. Or glue on new magnets on the backs of the speakers. " deflection side down, not easy to do.

Do ceramic magnet speakers get demagnetized over time? I thought it was alnico which did that.

FYI I change my mind about the message you quoted.. I've since heard improvement switching to film caps.

Thanks for the great instructions. Have your woofers been refoamed, or do the still have the black dope around them? If you still have the black dope, are your woofers real stiff? I'm reluctant to recap with the stiff woofers.

I used Dayton 5% caps and it made a worthwhile difference on my 3500 & 5500.
This is an OLD thread but, I am doing my 3500 recaps right now. I also am using Dayton 5% caps and the difference is good so far. I need to treat the woofers to soften them up as the bass output is pretty lacking for a 14-inch woofer. Not sure if these will be a flip or keep cheaper yet but, it has been a fun project!

Back
Top Bottom