Sansui SP-X7900 - Kabuki that sounds good!

Krosya

A few days ago I came across a lot of electronics that had some items that I was interested in. Seller, however wanted to sell it all at once so among other things I had to take a pair of Sansui SP-X7900 speakers. I cant say I was thrilled about that idea, but figured - if nothing else, they will go straight to the Goodwill or similar. From everything I read about the Kabuki and especially Sansui speakers I didnt even consider them as keepers. Plus a while back I had a pair of SP-2500, which is one of the somewhat respected speakers and while they were Ok, they never did anything for me. I never did a re cap on those, so who knows , its possible they could sound better.
Anyway, when I got all the things home, I didnt think that these 7900s would pass my garage - I thought to just take them right to the thrift shop as a donation. Then I noticed a small tear in a woofer. So - even less desire for me to keep them. And then I thought - let me see if they even work. So I connected them to one of my systems and -.....I actually was pleased with the sound. Even with a small rip in a woofer they sounded pretty good. A little muddy, but FAR better than my old SP-2500. I have never had a speaker with a woofer bigger than 12inches, so here, I suddenly got a pair with 16 inch woofers, so it was tempting to see what they can do.
And decision was made to keep them for now and fix them up. They have cloth surrounds, so thats one less thing to worry about. I patched the woofer and did a full re cap today. Let me tell you - I am VERY impressed!
I added a little polyfill too and they have a very nice bass, very clean mids and nice highs (they have a horn for a tweeter) that are not shrill. These also have 2 super tweeter (small round ones) each, but I am not even sure if they work - cant tell just by listening to them and dont feel like pulling them and testing them that way. Since speakers sound very nice as they are - I figured I'll just let them be for now.
I can tell you - doing recap - cost me about $10 - and it really made a difference - a lot more detail from the mid/high end and much cleaner low end.
I have a friend that has Realistic Mach 2 speakers and I always like those for some rock music. But now with these Sansui - I have a very nice rock music speaker as well as they sound nice with other genre, so they are not a one trick pony! All in all I am very pleased and surprised with these and I can tell you - not All "Kabuki" speakers should be judged the same - there are some Gems among them!
And another cool thing - with grill they look pretty vintage (60-70's):
R0017019.jpg

Yet without - much more modern (80-90's):

R0017021.jpg

Back
Top Bottom