Sansui SR-4050C completely restored but having auto-lift problem

dlucy

dlucy67 (Doug)
Staff member
Subscriber
I've restored a beautiful 4050C, the ultra-rare TOTL belt driven turntable I bought from a fellow AK'er last year. However, even with all-new caps and completely cleaned and re-lubed / re-oiled mechanicals, the auto-lift stop function pops the tonearm up and allows it to drop back down on the slowing LP.

EDIT: complete set of before and after photos is here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TPriA8CSNOR3flZd5_2oZEmoxAeRWbGj

I've just used the turntable in manual mode since it sounds so good and operates perfectly otherwise, but now that I'm selling I'd like to find out if there is a known problem and fix for this behavior.

The auto-lift + platter-stop + tonearm-drop can be seen in this short video: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...restored-recapped-lubed.786655/#post-10831458

Have any of you seen this before? Or have a service manual?

Last edited:
Might want to post your concern in the turntable forum. You don't see a lot of turntable issues here. The guys that hang out overthere live and breath turntables.

Also, please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block below.

- Pete

Might want to post your concern in the turntable forum. You don't see a lot of turntable issues here. The guys that hang out overthere live and breath turntables.

Also, please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block below.

- Pete

Great idea. Thanks!

Signatures don't show up on the mobile version, I'm guessing. I've even used "request desktop site" from Chrome on iOS, but I get no signature. :(

Hi all, sorry for reactivating such an old thread.

I got hands of a beautiful Sansui SR-4050C, but it has some problems. Especially with old lubricants in the motor casing the motor to run too slow. We tried to clean all parts I could reach, and i ran beautifully a first. But after it had been stopped again an rested for a while it ran too slow again. I believe there is still a lot of old lubricant stuck in the motor. Did you find a way to open it? Did you find a model number of that motor, so I could try to search for a replacement unit?

Thanks and best regards,
Thomas

P.S.. I am not a native speaker, but I hope my question was understandable.

I've restored a beautiful 4050C, the ultra-rare TOTL belt driven turntable I bought from a fellow AK'er last year. However, even with all-new caps and completely cleaned and re-lubed / re-oiled mechanicals, the auto-lift stop function pops the tonearm up and allows it to drop back down on the slowing LP.

EDIT: complete set of before and after photos is here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TPriA8CSNOR3flZd5_2oZEmoxAeRWbGj

I've just used the turntable in manual mode since it sounds so good and operates perfectly otherwise, but now that I'm selling I'd like to find out if there is a known problem and fix for this behavior.

The auto-lift + platter-stop + tonearm-drop can be seen in this short video: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...restored-recapped-lubed.786655/#post-10831458

Have any of you seen this before? Or have a service manual?

Hi all, sorry for reactivating such an old thread.

I got hands of a beautiful Sansui SR-4050C, but it has some problems. Especially with old lubricants in the motor casing the motor to run too slow. We tried to clean all parts I could reach, and i ran beautifully a first. But after it had been stopped again an rested for a while it ran too slow again. I believe there is still a lot of old lubricant stuck in the motor. Did you find a way to open it? Did you find a model number of that motor, so I could try to search for a replacement unit?

Thanks and best regards,
Thomas

P.S.. I am not a native speaker, but I hope my question was understandable.

Your English is excellent. Well done!

I did not open the motor during my restoration.

Thanks for answering. Luckily I did not have to open the motor as well. It came back to life and a stable operation after flooding it through the oiling tubes with alcohol several times and then relubing it after that procedure. Now it really works fine again.
Other things are still causing trouble though. Do you have a good source for hard to find sansui spare parts?
Thanks again and best regards,
Thomas

Back
Top Bottom