Sansui SR 929 TT - opinions?

I have had my beautiful 929 since I got out of the Navy in '72. I loved it then and I love it now. But reality is that it is not as good as my Thorens TD160, which is at a similar price point for purchasing a vintage turntable. The 929 is very heavy (not a TT to move around often) and is much inclined to have serious feedback depending on it's location and playback volume. I designed some special feet for it a few years ago that has corrected that problem. But this beauty is not used much anymore, but treasured non the less.

If you can find one at a reasonable price.... go for it....

Just my opinion of course ;-)

20181022_134243.jpg 20181022_134243.jpg 20181022_134243.jpg 20181010_211737.jpg 20181017_124744.jpg I mainly bought this table because I am a Sansui fan, BA-5000 power amp, CA-2000 preamp, TU-9900 tuner, Au-9900 power amp, AU-8500 Integrated amp, Eight, and some other smaller ones..
I think this TT would be a nice addition to the collection.
I do have a few nice TT's though, my latest acquisition was a rare beauty, Technics SL-M3 that I refinished with a carbon fiber look, wood veneer was peeling badly and wanted to try something different, came out great!
I also have a nice Tecnics SL-1200 MD3

Last edited:
People who say it doesn't matter are wrong. It's a knife-edge bearing: the weight ensures equal load on the two sides. Without it it, (a) one knife-edge bears most of the load due to the off-center mass of the arm/cart, and wear will be uneven over time, and (b) through a high resolution system you can hear a difference, somewhat similar to badly adjusted azimuth. But it's not difficult to replicate; a rod that fits the hole, with a weight approximately right will do. It's not the specific weight in grams, but the distance from the pivot that equalizes the forces.
People who say it doesn't matter are wrong. It's a knife-edge bearing: the weight ensures equal load on the two sides. Without it it, (a) one knife-edge bears most of the load due to the off-center mass of the arm/cart, and wear will be uneven over time, and (b) through a high resolution system you can hear a difference, somewhat similar to badly adjusted azimuth. But it's not difficult to replicate; a rod that fits the hole, with a weight approximately right will do. It's not the specific weight in grams, but the distance from the pivot that equalizes the forces.
I've had one since 1977 along with Sr 828 as backup I bought them while station in GTMO at the time THORNS was as good as it got it was almost 1500.00 dollars more my ears could not hear the difference don't let outsiders decide for you on sound quality find what you like the shop price

I wouldn't pay 1,500 extra either. My Sansui 838 is terrific, and I now prefer DD to belt-drive: my Thorens 125 gathers dust, while my DDs get all the playing time.

Back
Top Bottom