Sansui SR-929

Bourbon

Drinkin' and dreamin'
Subscriber
I just picked up one of these. I really don't know much about it other than it's a big, heavy sonofabitch that looks like something Darth Vader would own.

I've been Googling and searching this site, but I'm looking for any an all info I can gather.

Thanks in advance!

So far, it sounds pretty good with a Pickering XV-15/625E cartridge. But it seems like a very serious table - one that actual audiophiles would own. I'm just a guy who likes to spin a few albums.

Well I hope you got a good copy of a nice preserved 929. Does it have all it's feet? they are height adjustable ones. Does it have the lateral weight on the tone arm ? Hope it does .Makes a serious difference on how the tone arm is adjusted. Does it have the original mat? Makes a huge difference on how records are being reproduced. Generally , the best ever TT from SANSUI.
Enjoy it.

It does have all the feet.
It does have the original mat.
I'm not sure about the lateral weight. Not really sure what it is.
Everything looks really good, but I need to clean it up a bit.

Ditto for my 929 as well...think I have the lateral weight...

lw[1].png

Does it look like this diagram...?!?!...

BTW: That is a respectable TT.

The one I was eyeing here in Japan on Yahoo オク (auction) just went for the equivalent of 275 bucks.

Ya did good Bourbon!

That's a good price for that TT IMO - $275 USD is the equivalent of £189 GBP.

Last edited:
That's a good price for that TT IMO - the equivalent of £189 GBP.

Wow. Same price as in Japan. 190 pounds is round 275 dollars according to Google.

Consider that a European model would already be safe for European voltages, the 929 stands as a great secret deal.

Well...secret until now.

The 929 seems very equal to the Micro Seiki DD-40 (the Micro DD-7) which I owned, loved, and seek to obtain again.

The 929 plinth has Micro written all over it. And that is a very good base to start with indeed.

Bourbon...prepare to be amazed.

Last edited:
It's a excellent TT . I got mine 3 years ago in a bad shape and managed to make it look beautiful . Had to dismantle everything and have it re painted and lacquered . I bought it from yahoo jp for 49000 yen.There was only two feet on it and the lateral weight was missing.
Tone arm seems to be a SAEC maybe.

It's a excellent TT . I got mine 3 years ago in a bad shape and managed to make it look beautiful . Had to dismantle everything and have it re painted and lacquered . I bought it from yahoo jp for 49000 yen.There was only two feet on it and the lateral weight was missing.
Tone arm seems to be a SAEC maybe.

The 929 is what you have and refer to I assume?

Spectacular TT. I got one about 2 years ago at a rummage sale. It was dirty, but otherwise 100% intact and after I cleaned it up, it was MINT! I enjoyed it for a few months then sold it to a friend of a friend that was a Sansui collector and was looking for one forever. And as grillebilly said, $$$

Sorry to bring this thread back from dead, but I´m closing a deal on a NOS Sansui SR-929. It would be my first Japanese TT! (The other ones I have a German/Swiss: Clearaudio Emotion, Revox B795, Thorens TD-126 MK2 and lenco L-75). Are there any known issues? How about headshells, are these available (original or replacements)? I´ve got no idea on the effective tonearm mass figure. Are there any recommended cartridges for this tonearm? Many thanks in advance for any input!

PS: I´ve seen that a few people use a Denon DL-304 with this TT, so I guess this is a good match?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom