Sansui SS-100

craggd

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
While not a big headphone user, at least in the past, I have lusted after a SS-100 for a while base on its reputation and looks (I think they are downright beautiful). Don't see them with any regularity and surprisingly seldom in Japan. Leads me to belive the US PX might have been the big market. Found a nice condition pair of the bay and pulled the plug. Their raity and attractiveness keeps the cost high but I only saw the cost going up, so the time seemed right,

First impression are very positive, very natural flat sound with little to no distrortion. They are suprisingly comfortable. I was a bit worried their size and weight might be an issue but they are actually quite light and comfortable. Ear seal could be better but not an issue.

I am wondering if they would benefit from a headphone amp (impedance 60ohms) my guess is yes. Any recomendations? Tube or SS?

Also posted on the Sansui forum but may get more input here. Appreciate any recomendations perspectives.

$_3 (1).JPG $_3 (4).JPG s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600.jpg

just start testing the headphones outputs of your vintage amps (especially the sansui stuff) you got until you find the best match for the ss100, you dont need a dedicated headphones amp, the vintage amps headphones outputs can sound as good as a modern high end headphones amp.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been playing with them on my different amps and can pick up subtle distinctions. Being the impatient type I did pick up a Schiit Vali 2, tube headphone amp. It definitely helps boost the volume but can't really say it is a noticeable improvement over that. Will need more time with it to truly assess. Looks cool though!

vali2-front-1920.jpg

I know on the advertising for them it says something about not needing an adapter or headphone amp...and I’m intrigued on your thoughts after a year of owning them.

I’ve been looking all over for a pair with no luck so I think I’m gonna settle for a pair of pioneer SE-700’s near me. They look almost identical to the SS-100’s.

I do think they benefit from the headphone amp but I would be happy without one on most amps. That said I do not listen at high volume typically. If you follow eBay you will find them a couple times a year. I think the price has softened slightly. There was a pair that started at ~$900 and dropped to around $700 and i think eventually sold. In the past they would come and get picked up quite quickly. I did buy a 2nd pair for a friend here on AK, so if you elect to be patient I think you will find a pair. Don't know the Pioneers, they do look similar, but are not planar magnetic drivers but rather piezoelectric headphones. Not suggesting that is bad, just different.

I am very happy with mine.

I do think they benefit from the headphone amp but I would be happy without one on most amps. That said I do not listen at high volume typically. If you follow eBay you will find them a couple times a year. I think the price has softened slightly. There was a pair that started at ~$900 and dropped to around $700 and i think eventually sold. In the past they would come and get picked up quite quickly. I did buy a 2nd pair for a friend here on AK, so if you elect to be patient I think you will find a pair. Don't know the Pioneers, they do look similar, but are not planar magnetic drivers but rather piezoelectric headphones. Not suggesting that is bad, just different.

I am very happy with mine.
I just can’t justify that kind of dough for headphones right now, I did see some for less on eBay a while back but that was before I knew much about them. Hopefully someday I’ll get lucky and find a pair to use with my AU amp but for now I think the pioneers are my best bet and sorta local.
Im not too informed of the major differences between those two driver technologies honestly but I know piezoelectric are not known for a lot of bass.

Totally get it, sounds like a good plan.
Yeah gonna get em tomorrow, apologize for taking the thread off topic. I’ll probably make a post about them soon since there’s not a huge amount of information on them out there.

Hey guys .
I'm very happy , i got my cans to , thanks to CRAGGD.
They arrived on Wednesday after a really long trip , from Dave's place to my friend's place at Mass , and after a year my friend flew to Greece , and kindly shipped them to me , by bus.
Really long trip.
They are beautiful and excellent sounding .
Thanks Dave for all your help.
Thank you for being An Aker , and acting like one.
A real gentleman and a very gentle soul.

Last edited:
Connected them on both the BIG G , and the C2301 output . Sound excellent. Really.
Also tried the on my CD-X717 EXTRA. They are immaculate.
I really don't remember their price back then. Any one know their price back then?

Connected them on both the BIG G , and the C2301 output . Sound excellent. Really.
Also tried the on my CD-X717 EXTRA. They are immaculate.
I really don't remember their price back then. Any one know their price back then?
Congrats, I’m sure they sound amazing through that monster of a receiver.
Definitely not planning on ever getting rid of mine after searching high and low for them.

Last edited:
Hey guys .
I'm very happy , i got my cans to , thanks to CRAGGD.
They arrived on Wednesday after a really long trip , from Dave's place to my friend's place at Mass , and after a year my flew to Greece , and kindly shipped them to me , by bus.
Really long trip.
They are beautiful and excellent sounding .
Thanks Dave for all your help.
Thank you for being An Aker , and acting like one.
A real gentleman and a very gentle soul.

Was happy to help you out my friend, that is what AK is all about. Thank you for the kind words! Enjoy the cans!!

Thanks Dave this is what Ak stands for.
Wonderful people willing to help.
I have experienced that with your help.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom