Sansui System Build from Australia :)

mbikeboy

Finally, I have an excuse to do something which I've wanted to do for years...build an old-school system! When discussing with my girlfriend what she'd like for her upcoming birthday, I was stunned and just a little bit happy to hear that she wanted something to listen to records on, and had to look the part (as it will be sitting in a prominent spot in the loungeroom).

After much thought, I decided to build a modest Sansui system, and have wasted no time in sourcing a few items which were too good a price to ignore.

Yesterday I fluked finding a mint condition Sansui RS-7 remote control receiver (and the remote of course!), near my home for $49. What a bargain!!! :)

Only a few moments ago, I won an auction on Ebay for a Sansui D-300M tape deck. It's in pretty good condition, but I'm expecting that it will need a bit of a clean and service to bring it back to its glory days. That should arrive early next week. Earlier on todayI tried in vain to by a Sansui D-90 from the USA, but the seller was a complete jerk and proceeded to lecture me about how because I'm from outside of the USA I was a scammer, blah blah and he got all passive-aggressive on me. Despite me being nothing but pleasant while merely enquiring about postage rates, it was clear this was a dead-end. Too bad I was going to buy it anyway, so it's his loss! :(

I also managed to buy a brand new pair of Klipsch Synergy B-10 bookshelf speakers locally for $189 instead of $449, and they should be arriving tomorrow. I would have preferred something larger, however there is very limited space available where the system has to sit. For the time being, these will do the job just nicely.

The rest of the system is a mystery for the time-being, as I patiently watch a few auctions and listings hahaha! I'll add to this thread as things progress, and any comments or suggestions are always welcome!

Last edited:
My patience is being rewarded and bargain hunting skills are strong today...I've also just purchased a Sansui AT-700 program timer from Austria for $43 delivered. Boomshakala!

Good luck with your system build.
A couple of days ago l sold a nice Sansui cassette deck which would have fitted nicely

Wow, while having my morning coffee, the postie knocked on my door with this box! They fit perfectly in the tight space as you can see in the 3rd pic and look terrific...unfortunately I'm going to have to wait for the rest of the system before I get to try them out, Oh well, that should be plenty of incentive to keep searching for the other components I'm after!:music:

Thanks for the welcome fellas! Being let off the leash to do something I've always wanted to do is so much fun...I've spent countless hours researching, doing comparisons, searching online for components, getting excited, etc. Somehow I managed to lose all afternoon driving around to a few charity/thrift shops in search of records, and have expanded the collection to 17. My gf was laughing on the phone when I told her, and now she's mad-keen to help build up the collection...yep she's definitely a keeper Nightwisher! :rflmao:

I went on a mission to buy some new RCA cables today, and picked up some more records while I was at it. Once I got home, I wired up the stereo, plugged my iphone in as a music source, and was pleasantly surprised/relieved to find that everything works perfectly!! I must say that I'm really glad to have the RS-7 remote unit, that was a terrific find. The speakers are extremely clear, however they do sound a little dull with any real bass...admittedly I was expecting more from them, but I have to keep in mind that they're only bookshelf speakers and am used to Bose systems with a sub. With a bit of time to break-in I'm sure they'll get better as I get used to them. :)

I've got to wait til next week for a couple of other components to arrive, and the wait is already killing me, haha!

A nice little goody arrived in the mail today, a TDK MA-R90 metal cassette. We'll be using this to make a mix-tape of favourite songs to listen to when we can't be bothered using the turntable...oh, and it will look awesome sitting in the D-300M haha!

The audio-bug is a dangerous and contageous thing!! :rflmao:

Last week I saw a Sansui DS-77 AV Sound Processor for sale at a great price, and knew I had to have it for some reason. The stereo system that I'm building up for the loungeroom didn't need it, as that's purely for music, and we have a Bose theater system for the tv. Hmmmm!!

My study / mancave has been a work-in-progress ever since we moved in, and I'm not 100% satisfied with it. There's a wasted wall which is screaming out for shelving and the tv system, and as you can see from the pics below, it needs "something". This got me thinking about getting rid of the crappy old Panasonic home theater system, and replacing it with something more substantial while I'm at it. Suddenly there's two system builds happening, uhoh! :naughty:

The D-330M finally arrived today and the system is looking amazing already! It's so awesome seeing the system coming together so quickly, and it's getting plenty of use already. :) A quick question for those in the know...which of the LVDS cables do I run between the RS-7 and the D-300M? If someone could kindly point me in the right direction that would be great!

I'm currently waiting on the AT-700 timer to arrive from overseas, and am on the lookout for a matching tuner atm. This is proving to be a lot harder than expected, so am just going to have to be patient until the right one comes along. D'oh!

As you can see from the pics, there's a new addition to the system! I've been looking around for a turntable for ages, and many are in pretty crappy condition needing a lot of attention..."untested" has been a huge turn-off given the high asking prices around here. A new Sherwood PM9805 was on a great special today at a local electronics store, so we decided to go with that for the time-being and see how it goes. Until we get better speakers, it's hard to justify spending big dollars on a turntable, and so far so good! It's been so good listening to records all afternoon and reminiscing, hahaha!

Back
Top Bottom