Sansui TA-500

mnilan

Just bought a Sansui TA-500. I haven't been able to find out much about this but it is a 50 wpc @ 8 ohms receiver that looks like the Sansui AU/TU 417 separates but all in one piece. I'll have more to say about it and will post some pictures when it is delivered.

I'm going to use this in a desktop application (near field) to replace some AudioEngine 5s (active monitors) and I have a REL T-3 subwoofer to use for the bottom end. I still haven't found speakers for this set-up - I am concerned with sound quality (duh) but also real estate - I don't have much room on my desk. I'd like to get at least the same quality as I'm getting from the AudioEngine speakers (I do really like them).

At this point, I have two questions:

--Do you know a technician in the Central New York area who I could take the TA-500 to for a check-up? I'm not technical and I would hate to screw up the "tuner/amplifier" for lack of attention.

--Any suggestions for small, near-field speakers that could be driven reasonably by 50 wpc TA-500? After the Stereophile review of the Pioneer
Pioneer SP-BS41-LR, I was thinking of those but they are 6 ohm and might be too much for the TA-500...

Thanks,
Mike

From a SANSUI flyer/1980.

TA-500 DC Integrated Tuner-Amplifier
Technology for this highly sophisticated tuner-amp descends from our distinguished live of AU/TU series of integrated amplifiers and tuners.
The amplifier section uses the equalizer-out direct-to-DC-power amp-in design so as to obtain purer musical tonality.
The advanced DC-design wich a Dual-FET Input plus Low-noise IC ensures superb transient response characteristics along
wich colourfree musicality and really dimensioned stereo-Images. Always plentiful of energy reserve wich the separate dual-voltage circuits.
Twin power protection safeguards both amp and speakers.
Unique phono-equalizer for more realistic dynamic range and lower noise from records. All true hi-fi. Nothing but strict hi-fi performances
from the tuner section : very sensitive frontend guarantees extreme stability : even AM listening is substantially improved.
TA-500 perfectly musical !

Power Output Min. RMS/8Ohms 2 x 50 W
Total Harmonic Distortion 0,05 %
Frequency Response OVERALL 10-50,000 Hz
F M Sensitvity (IHF 1100) 1,9 µV
Dimensions (W x H x D) mm 482 x 158 x 410
Weight (with handles) 10,9 kg

Michael-Otto

I had never seen one in the flesh until I acquired one...

SansuiTA500f.jpg

Don't ever remember seeing them in the stores when they would have been new.

Michael and mhardy:
Thanks for the info and the picture. I am kind of excited about this. I bought a Sansui QRX 6500 in the early 1970s and, of course, looked at the AU and TU pairs but went for the multi-channel version. Now, although I do admit to having a 5.1 channel home theater setup, my music is strictly 2 channel. i am really looking forward to hearing this tuner/integrated amp.
Thanks,
Mike

I don't think they were meant to be high-end... but the TA-500 here (acquired by stalwart early-days AKer Tentoze, by the way) actually sounds quite good. I don't think I have ever tried the tuner in it, though... come to think of it.

I don't think I have ever tried the tuner in it, though... come to think of it.

Give it a listen as those Sansui tuners can sound quite nice.
I sold one about a year or two ago that I got from a friend. Nice units.

One of the best-looking receivers ever made, IMO!

Agreed!! It's got 'the look'!
Classically Beautiful.

Tell us how you like it. I bet it's going to be a really fine sounding unit. It's really a very nice, and rather rare, piece of Sansui gear!

Congrads. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
JBLMar is in Brooklyn and Dr*Audio is in Cleavland those are the two AK members closest to you that come to mind and can service that unit.

- Pete

I hate to say it, but this is one of the sleeper units that Sansui made. They sound and look great and actually contain a TU-317 for the tuner section. However, they don't have the AU-317 output section that some people think they have. If I had an 881 I'd love to put them together side by side and have a shootout between them both. :D

I hate to say it, but this is one of the sleeper units that Sansui made. They sound and look great and actually contain a TU-317 for the tuner section. However, they don't have the AU-317 output section that some people think they have. If I had an 881 I'd love to put them together side by side and have a shootout between them both. :D

tm:
When I look at the specs for the TU-317, the TA-500 and the 881, they all look quite different to me. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you mean...

I should be getting the TA-500 today, so I am excited to hear what it sounds like and I already fell in love with the way it looks (compared to my 9090DB and G-6700). I'll be back...

The tuner is good but there are corners cut in the rest of it.

The voltage amp for the power amplifier is a NLA IC, which means if it goes bad, you're SOL.

I have one and it went out. The tone controls are not a normal stage prior to the power amp they are NFB integrated into the power amp. Which means that if you did manage to put a preamp output into it, it couldn't use the tone controls.

I've been brainstorming for over a year on how to make it useful again, including wholesale power amp replacement and adding a tone amp to it.

They cool, but they are not as good as a standard Sansui receiver when they break. From what I hear, it's not if but when.

The tuner is good but there are corners cut in the rest of it.

The voltage amp for the power amplifier is a NLA IC, which means if it goes bad, you're SOL.

I have one and it went out. The tone controls are not a normal stage prior to the power amp they are NFB integrated into the power amp. Which means that if you did manage to put a preamp output into it, it couldn't use the tone controls.

I've been brainstorming for over a year on how to make it useful again, including wholesale power amp replacement and adding a tone amp to it.

They cool, but they are not as good as a standard Sansui receiver when they break. From what I hear, it's not if but when.

DC:
Doesn't sound good (no pun intended). Please let me know if you figure out a way to get your TA-500 functional again. It looks like I will be needing the same solution at some point in the future...
Thanks,
Mike

They do sound good....

Is yours broken yet or not?

I am gonna figure something out. It's too pretty to sh*tcan.

DC:
I certainly hope mine isn't broken yet! FedEx was supposed to deliver it on Friday and it's 11 AM on Tuesday here and I still haven't received it yet. So, I'll have to give it a chance to come to room temperature and then try it out on a pair of Vandersteen Model IIs that I have. I'll let you know...

DC:
I received the TA-500 and tested it out with an Oppo and a pair of Vandersteen Model IIs. It looks great and sounds great. I am VERY happy. So it isn't broken yet... I'm going to use it with my desktop system in a near field set-up so it won't be driven hard. Hopefully it will last for a long while. Good luck with yours.

JBLMar is in Brooklyn and Dr*Audio is in Cleavland those are the two AK members closest to you that come to mind and can service that unit.

- Pete

Pete:
My test of the TA-500 went so well I'm less concerned about getting it checked out at this point. Thanks for pointing me towards JBLMar and Dr*Audio though.
Mike

Back
Top Bottom