Sansui TOTL Speakers SP-5000 and SP-5500 Side By Side?

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by 4-2-7, Apr 4, 2015.

1. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

Thanks, I've added them to the database.

- Pete

jozeppy26 likes this.
  2. jozeppy26

jozeppy26 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I realized it's because I wasn't seeing signatures on the mobile website. My bad.

3. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

No worries. Having them posted all in the same place helps ensure I don't miss any. I may not see them if they are posted in a thread. I didn't see yours until today.

- Pete

jozeppy26 likes this.
  4. OceanVU

OceanVU New Member

Wow-Got to love the internet when you can find a discussion thread on one style of 40+ yr old speakers. I guess I'm not the only one who enjoys the older ones. Anyhow, I have a question for the experts as I have a pair of SP-5000's that seem to "toggle" on and off the tweeters at low volume. Crank it up a few minutes to "hear it down the street with the doors closed" volume and the problem goes away. I tried spraying crossover switches inside the back of cabinet with electric contact cleaner and worked the knobs back and forth a lot, but still seems to not work right at low volume. Does this sound like a cap problem or do i need to get more agressive with the switch contact points? Thanks!

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  5. Roboneal91

Roboneal91 Member

Have you done a recap? If not that's probably your problem, the capacitors in these are far past their lifespan and the tweeter caps could be near death and not wanting to pass signal until a large amount of power is shoved through them, mine came alive after recapping, I used polypropylene for the tweets and electrolytic for the mid and woofers, I have coral bx1500 woofers in mine currently though, I'm waiting to find an orphan 5000 woofer as the previous owner committed an atrocity and let a "repair" shop pull the fried one of the pair and they threw it away and installed a...goldwood....woofer back mounted because it was too wide literally mounted uneven with..drywall screws no bullshit, so that had to be changed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018 at 7:34 PM
    BLAH BLAH likes this.
  6. slow_jazz

slow_jazz Lunatic Member

Beautiful speakers.

BLAH BLAH and Roboneal91 like this.
  7. OceanVU

OceanVU New Member

Thanks Roboneal -- I opened cabinet again to get info on caps and found that the problem was the little metal tab on the back side contactor for the tweeter adjustment switch was not making good contact with the rotating "rail" to maintain continuity. Tried gently bending the tab back down but couldn't get it to "stay down" so I actually gently bent the tab to make contact with the bottom of the "rail" which has the tweeters putting out sound now. I did go ahead and order the caps to replace (I didn't actually trace the wires through the caps to see which ones were for tweets/mids/woofer but I ordered polypropylene for the 2.2uF and 6.8uF and non-polar electrolytics for the 47uF and 22uF. Hopefully they will do the trick). These SP-5000 speakers sound really good to my ears now, but will be interested to see if sound is even better with fresh caps. Thanks again

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  8. BLAH BLAH

BLAH BLAH AK Subscriber Subscriber

They will...

Roboneal91 likes this.
  9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr New Member

OK Here is mine! I brought them back with me from Okinawa even though I was a private. I would love to get a copy of the owners manual as well as the cap values in the crossover so I can order a set before I take them apart. Also can I just remove the small plastic cover to do this or do I have to remove the back?

Thanks, Jim.

Attached Files:

BLAH BLAH likes this.