Sansui TOTL Speakers SP-5000 and SP-5500 Side By Side?

OK, Got my proof up, here are the pics....:banana: In one of the pics you can see that something looks like it got spilled on the woofer. It works perfectly but is there anyway to clean it or should I just leave it alone?

100_1657_zpskpjmkbfe.jpg
100_1658_zps19rpvcxj.jpg
100_1660_zpspe3mclsz.jpg
100_1661_zpsg0n3dkso.jpg
100_1662_zpsn6cn5vat.jpg
100_1655_zps9hruecbr.jpg

In one of the pics you can see that something looks like it got spilled on the woofer. It works perfectly but is there anyway to clean it or should I just leave it alone?
I would just dust it with a brush, you should see one of mine has splatter spots all over one of the woofers. You have to understand that all the drivers in these speakers only came in these speakers. You never see the drivers come up for sale, the SP-5500 & SP-5500A 15" woofer will work also, but will never be original, 5500A are common for sale.

I would just dust it with a brush, you should see one of mine has splatter spots all over one of the woofers. You have to understand that all the drivers in these speakers only came in these speakers. You never see the drivers come up for sale, the SP-5500 & SP-5500A 15" woofer will work also, but will never be original, 5500A are common for sale.

Thanks Smart Ass,;) I appreciate all the help. I just took the back off of one and everything looks original. I am going to deoxit the pots and the circuit board and put them back together for more listening today. I have never done any cap work or soldering for that matter so I think I will look for someone in or near Mass that does it. Thanks again.....:beerchug:

OK, Got my proof up, here are the pics....:banana:
Ok your added in as being only one of four of us on this site with these speakers. Welcome to the club, get ready for all the Sansui Kabuki bashing.

All I say to the ones that like to bash is, have you ever owned these speakers and did you drive them with this gear? It's not like I don't have a choice in the speakers I pick.

IMG_2326_zpsladrqazf.jpg IMG_2143_zps76bf7dbb.jpg IMG_1989_zpsceacc7db.jpg IMG_1913_zpsb25f396f.jpg

4-2-7

I may take some heat for saying this in the Sansui forum, but you are a God amongst men with that setup. Love me some McIntosh but it isn't in my budget. Well, it might have been save for my near lifelong obsession with Sansui, but I've dropped so much on the stuff I have in two decades of serious buying that I don't feel the need or desire to start a new collection. And really, I am truly happy with Sansui components. If I found them lacking I'd probably sell the lot and be a McIntosh collector but I don't have a complaint across any of the multitude of models of Sansui source components, amps and receivers I own. They are all outstanding in their class.

I have taken some light bashing (not on here, but from associates, family etc.) for my taste in speakers (e.g. too large, too old, too ugly), my use of EQ's, excessive amounts of kit and many other things that violate purist sensibilities and home decorating trends but I persist in collecting and listening to what works for me. This stuff is all subjective so I don't much concern myself with the negative feedback.

Kevin

Count me in as a SP-5000 set owner. Sounds wonderful through my G8700DB. I have not recapped mine. Not something I would feel comfortable taking on by myself. Any recommended shops near Santa Rosa CA?
I would like to get my hands on the SP-5500's some day....
IMG_21424.JPG
IMG_21444.JPG
IMG_21452.JPG

Count me in as a SP-5000 set owner. Sounds wonderful through my G8700DB. I have not recapped mine. Not something I would feel comfortable taking on by myself. Any recommended shops near Santa Rosa CA?
I would like to get my hands on the SP-5500's some day....
IMG_21424.JPG
IMG_21444.JPG
IMG_21452.JPG

Hey their all coming out of the woodwork now:D Your in and your also local to me:thumbsup:

I could not see your photos till I quoted you, nice setup and speakers.

Out of curiosity, what are the other trapezoidally shaped speakers in the picture? They look vaguely familiar but I can't place them. And how do they compare to the 5500's? Given the smaller drivers and lack of horns naturally I'd expect them not to be as "aggressive" as the Sansui's.

Kevin

Out of curiosity, what are the other trapezoidally shaped speakers in the picture? They look vaguely familiar but I can't place them. And how do they compare to the 5500's? Given the smaller drivers and lack of horns naturally I'd expect them not to be as "aggressive" as the Sansui's.

Kevin
Those are the JBL L250, and really a far better speaker than the 5500s with the right amp.

Thanks. I know I have seen those somewhere before, pretty certain a guy I purchased some gear from a while back had a pair in his listening room. Being JBL they are bound to be good. If I wasn't so enamored of the 5500's I'd likely pursue some vintage JBL's. I have also considered Klipshorns before but the price tag has kept me out of that market thus far. Probably a good thing I'm satisfied with my current complement of gear, as I could blow the GDP of a small third world country on kit that I wish I owned. Like Dirty Harry said, a man has to know his limitations.

Back
Top Bottom