Sansui TOTL Speakers SP-5000 and SP-5500 Side By Side?

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by 4-2-7, Apr 4, 2015.

1. fish mojo

fish mojo Member

I've had both the 5500 and the 5000's. Both are awesome, but I prefer my current 5500's for sound quality. I also prefer the 5500 looks with the curved front grill and the butt joint construction vs the mitered joints on the 5000.

bd1886 likes this.
  2. bd1886

bd1886 Super Member

First time I saw the size, curved grills, and components in the SP-5500? I could tell they were NOT kabuki and have wanted a pair ever since.
    Can you describe the difference in sound between the SP-5000s' take and that of the SP-5500? (Which has crisper bass and creamier highs between the two I guess.)

3. fish mojo

fish mojo Member

Bass is equivalent. I like the tight, crystal clear horns on the 5500. Listening to Chicago (25 or 6 to 4) really blows you away. Feels like you are front stage.

4. bd1886

bd1886 Super Member

Thanks!

5. onepixel

onepixel .

I brought my SP-5500X back from Okinawa, along with a 8080DB that I bought in 1976. It was my first real stereo. Wish I still had the speakers. They definitely could crank and sounded great to me.

4-2-7, your set-up looks awesome and fun!

6. fish mojo

fish mojo Member

"X" series is nowhere near what SP-5000/ SP-5500 speakers are. You owe it to yourself to compare the two.

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  7. onepixel

onepixel .

How are they different?

8. fish mojo

fish mojo Member

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sansui/sp-5500x.shtml
    Compare the specifications,weight, cabinet size, build quality and there is a considerable difference. Go back to the start of this thread and see how the SP-5500 and SP-5000 are built compared to the SP-5500X. Night and day. Twice the weight and cabinet size. Wood grain vinyl on the X....Sorry, not meaning to be putting your speakers down, but these are only similar in the name with the "X" attached. Sansui did have some strange naming conventions for their equipment.

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  9. moefuzz

moefuzz Active Member

A truly - well produced studio album.......

[​IMG]

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  10. Roboneal91

Roboneal91 Member

Update, took them off and IMO that's a handsome ass speaker, looks diesel now, before with the factory stands they looked like they needed to be on the floor and bulky but now idk I just like it a whole lot, in case anyone wants to know what a 5000 looks like with no stand here you go, it's funny too now they look tiny compared to my corals on the bottom

Attached Files:

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  11. BLAH BLAH

BLAH BLAH AK Subscriber Subscriber

Handsome units...just love mine for rock...are they re-capped...?!?

12. Roboneal91

Roboneal91 Member

Appreciate it, yes sir electrolytics for the low and mid and polypropylene for the hones, I'm debating on rebuilding the rest of the crossovers and resoldering the old connections as well but haven't made it there yet

13. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

Thanks your only a hop skip and jump away, come by some time and you can flip tough records and check out the stereo. I don't have the Sansui's anymore though but plenty more speakers.

You said fun, I think I just turned it into a weapon with the addition of another pair of 250 TIs and almost 2000 watts..:D

onepixel likes this.
  14. moefuzz

moefuzz Active Member

Gentlemen,

While doing research for another thread I happened upon a well written and informative
    article by Rick Stout in regards to Sansui SP-5000s
    -as for some time he passed on hooking them up just because?.....

http://www.stereomanuals.com/ref/sansui_sp5000.htm
    The article actually appeared here in the forums in 2003 and was picked up by the stereomanuals website.
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....5000-pioneer-spec-4-performance-report.12657/

"When I first received them, I pulled them out of a massive set of boxes to visually check them and then slid them back in the boxes...
    eventually, I had to get a particular piece of gear out of that mess ... and move everything"

(so the SP-5000s got hooked up).
    "I can't really express how impressed I am with these 5000's. They are a large, heavy, efficient, 7 speaker, 4-way system. To me, they sound beautiful with a very smooth and effortless sound whether played at very low background level or thunderous wall-shaking volume".

"I do not own a SPL meter but here is my subjective report of these speakers with the above equipment. Playing a rock FM station with music containing normal levels of bass information. With average meter readings of"...
    • zero perceptible meter movement (less than 1/100th of 1 watt) = the music is a very perceptible background level, it is quite easy to have a conversation with no special effort. The music does not sound thin or weak. It has good bass quality that is in balance with the volume level.
    • 0.01 (1/100th of 1) watt output = it is still easy to carry on a conversation but music is much more noticeable
    • 0.1 (1/10th of 1) watt output = the music is very present, but conversation is not a real problem.
    • 1 watt output = the music is loud, conversation requires more force and more focused toward the listener.
    • 10 watts output = is very loud, conversation is much more difficult and requires real effort to be heard.
    • 50 to 100 watts = the music is VERY loud, our old style windows rattle considerably, conversation is very difficult and requires semi-shouting.
    • 100 to 150 watts output = THUNDEROUS volume, powerful bass notes vibrate the pants on my legs, it is impossible to have a conversation without face to face shouting. I can feel the house shaking and can only imagine how loud it is in the neighborhood. Sometime when enough neighbors are gone, I will try this long enough to to go out and walk around the neighborhood just for shits and grins... :)
    • 150 to 300 watts output = Noticeably higher volume than THUNDEROUS, but I can't hold this at an average level because the SPEC-4's protection circuits kick in. The speakers seem to handle it just fine before amp cuts out. At that sound level, it is difficult to judge quality, distortion, etc, but I did not notice any extreme harshness or speaker breakup, etc.

Happy listening,

moe of the North.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  15. 4-2-7

This is acurat but even with shouting you would not really hear anything @ lets say 8 feet from the speakers and a 150 watts.

I don't know how this guy is measuring their watts but I got to call BS on this statement. The SP-5000 are rated @ 90 watt, 102 db, I was driving mine with two McIntosh MC275 Mk VI, they can push out 90WPC stereo 180 WPC Bridged. Now the SP-5000 took all of the 180 watts but would drive into distortion at that point. So lets say they are pretty clean at a extremely loud 150 WPC driving them. I see no way in hell they will not fry going over 200 WPC. Understand my tubes would have given more room for error do to soft clipping than a dangerous SS clipping. If I'm hearing distortion and soft clipping at 180 WPC, then one will be smelling smoke at 200+ watts.

16. moefuzz

moefuzz Active Member

read the article

17. onepixel

onepixel .

Thanks for the invite. I don't make up to the city that often, maybe when I'm passing by. Cheers!

18. 4-2-7

I did, in fact a long long time ago when I first got mine.

19. 4-2-7

I'm in San Mateo if that helps any. :D

onepixel likes this.
  20. onepixel

onepixel .

I've been to San Mateo, couple of times. :)

I'm down in San Jose.