Sansui tube stereo receivers??

Shain

Looking at some of the Sansui tube receivers like the 1000.

I'm pretty clueless about their tube stuff, but want stereo FM, as well as AM.

Which are the best of the tube Sansui receivers??

The 1000, 1000A, 500, and 500A are some of the better tube receivers. the 1000A and 500A seem better built than the 1000 and 500. The 1000A is considered the best.

The SM-80 and the SAX-600 also seem like nice units, but are rare. Good luck finding them.

I have a 500A and like it a lot. It is in fact my favorite receiver in my collection.

Shain,

If it helps you decide, I for one have the Sansui 1000A on my own wish list, mostly out of curiosity. I haven't seen or heard one but it looks better built to me than the Fisher 500C from pictures I've seen of the chassis.

The Fisher 500C has a very positive rating with vintage tube receiver officionados. I have seen and heard the 500C and agree that it is a sweetheart.

Rob

Thanks guys! I'll keep looking.

Yea Rob, it's more of a curiosity thing.

I've had a couple of the Fisher pieces, and I know their supposed to be good stuff, but the ones I've had didn't really impress me.

So, thought I'd give the Sansui a try.

Pioneer made a few, what other tubie receivers are out there??

I've tried the Mac 1700 and a long time ago had a 1300 (or 1200 ?)

Shain,

Sherwood made some tube receivers as well as separate tuners and integrated amps.

Magnavox also made some very fine tube stuff in separates!

Rob

Rob,

What's the going $$ for a good 1000A?

Looking at a couple, but don't follow the market on these.

Thanks, Shain

Shain,

There was a mint 1000A in the Canadian Praries went for about $350 US or so I think some 6 months back. I've seen them in rough shape get $120. These are desireable even as basket cases because they have good output transformers that can have the cores re-arranged to E-I with an air gap and used as tube S.E. xfmers. I'd figure if I got a nice one which worked for $200-$250 that I got an honest, good deal.

As to your pm question I'll answer that here too. Yes it could well be tubes causing the one weak channel, but it is also slightly less likely a component like a capacitor or resistor gone bad under the chassis.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom