Sansui Turntable Repair?

charles64

reVox reGret
I went to spin a record today but my SR-717 TT just stopped working,like it's getting no power. Does anybody know where I could get it fixed in the Boston/Providence area?

Flip it over, open it up and check the 1A and 0.5A fuses on the POWER SUPPLY CIRCUIT BOARD (#30 on exploded diagram in S.M.) with an ohm-meter out of circuit for continuity. If blown replace with the same amperage, but you can use a 250V fuse. If either blows again, pack it up and have it repaired by a shop.
Service and owners manuals are on Vinylengine. Free registration. https://www.vinylengine.com/library/sansui/sr-717.shtml

Flip it over, open it up and check the 1A and 0.5A fuses on the POWER SUPPLY CIRCUIT BOARD (#30 on exploded diagram in S.M.) with an ohm-meter out of circuit for continuity. If blown replace with the same amperage, but you can use a 250V fuse. If either blows again, pack it up and have it repaired by a shop.
Service and owners manuals are on Vinylengine. Free registration. https://www.vinylengine.com/library/sansui/sr-717.shtml

Thanks Larry,I was thinking that too. I grabbed this picture offline-I'll probably have to wait until saturday-I'll let you know what happened.
Sansui SR-717 Power Board.jpg

I'm thinking while you've got the board out go ahead and replace the caps while you're at it if you have them in stock. Also check the transistor (out of circuit) using the 6way testing. SEE this thread....... http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-transistor-testing-basics.43186/#post-432830

The big transistor hanging off the wires will be probably bolted to a heatsink next to the power supply board. From everything I can figure from the manual the original is a 2sd313. Replace it with a KSC2073TU. There are 3 2sa726's on the control board. These are known troublemakers on the PIONEER Forum. Don't see them too much on Sansui gear. They would get replaced with KSA992's.

Last edited:
So I checked power supply board and it all looked good-all in spec-so I knew I was out of my depth. I found a shop in E.Providence that handles vintage audio and got the TT back in 2 weeks! I couldn't believe it. The guy did a great job replacing the power switch and even filled up my cueing lever piston so the stylus drops nice and slow now. Very reasonable fee,and very happy with the results!
IMG_20171028_161200.jpg

Good to know that there are places that actually repair this stuff these days. Glad you're up and running again.

What's the name of the shop? Please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

I didn't know if it was against the rules to post the name of the shop but I have no affiliation with them and can say honestly that they did a good job on my SR-717 Turntable,for what I believed to be a fair price,and returned the TT to me in a timely manner (which has not been my experience in the past with other shops).
Stereo Discount A & V  logo.jpg
279 Taunton Ave. East Providence, Rhode Island

The switch. DAMN! I should have picked up on that (No power.....) Glad you got it fixed.

Larry

Stumbled on this old thread and had to chime in.

Stereo Discount provides quick, reasonable repair and is a fun place to visit.
Looks more like a hoard than a store!
Scott who does the actual tech work is a great guy and I was very excited when I discovered he actually lives in the next town over from me. He does work for a couple of area shops.
Seems like he concentrates on getting stuff up and running rather than in depth refurb projects.

Anyway... enjoy your Sunday!

Stumbled on this old thread and had to chime in.

Stereo Discount provides quick, reasonable repair and is a fun place to visit.
Looks more like a hoard than a store!
Scott who does the actual tech work is a great guy and I was very excited when I discovered he actually lives in the next town over from me. He does work for a couple of area shops.
Seems like he concentrates on getting stuff up and running rather than in depth refurb projects.

Anyway... enjoy your Sunday!

Yeah,I've been meaning to get over there and kick the tires on some speakers....

Since I moved,my Dahlquist DQ-8's don't sound as good in the new space. I'd like to find something to compliment my Sansui Integrated Amp. I play mostly Hard Bop Jazz,Classic Rock,and Reggae,so they don't have to be overpowering. Maybe a ported tower with a couple of drivers-they don't necessarily have to be vintage.

Back
Top Bottom