Sansui vintage choice, help

Yes, the G is nice sounding and good looking.
In my opinion its to expensive compared to the other alternatives.
The 7500 amp and tuner also looks nice together, the 9090 the prettiest of the bunch. 417 just ok, but that's my opinion and others may disagree.
Sound is the most important though.
First I'll have a listen to 7500 and 417.
Then decide what I should go for.

i have a 9090db and the phono stage is excellent to my ears compared to my outboard preamps, that is a good choice, they had a dolby board issue as all sui guys know, you want to ask seller about channel dropout issues, and if you test a db series from a seller make sure they dont have the mono button pushed in to hide a channel drop issue, i got bit by that on a 8080db once

Tuner is of no use since FM is getting closed this week, only for esthetics (7500 set looks nice together.
Have not heard back from the seller with 9090db.
Thanks for tip about mono button.

The list of candidates is now:
Au-7500 with Tu-7500
Au-D9
Au-417
Au-999
Eight

The 7500 and 417 is by my knowledge the only ones fully restored.
Au-999 is said to have changed the small caps (unknown when)

Last edited:
Update,
Au-999 and a Eight (STD version) is also available to buy now.
Any opinions compared to au-7500?

The 999 and Eight have each their pro's and cons. Both excellent choices that shares some similarities in the sound.

The 999 is by far the easiest to work on - one of the easiest of them all, but it needs a couple of mods to really shine.
The Eight can be a nightmare to work on, and it's adjustment procedure is not for the faint of heart.

As pete mentioned, a fully rebuild 999 (which is easy to do if you are so inclined) is a formidable amp, with a lush and detailed sound that gives off a really nice stereo perspective.
The Eight shares some of the same attributes as the 999 - smooth, detailed, but comes across with a bit more punch and power but on the contrary a bit more "dry" or "hard" in the mid section.

In terms of collector value - both the Eight and 999 outshines the 7500 as more desireable pieces, there were both landmark units of their era - the Eight for its uncompromising build quality and the 999 for its sheer awesomeness as a top of the line amp from Sansuis legendary first line of solid state amplifiers, counting other notables such as the 555/666/777/888. Cheers,

Both eight and 999 was sold in few minutes, some other lucky guy got them.

I'm at least sitting here, lucky to have both 7500 and 417 on home testing!
Tried them both with Tannoy 635 and Snell e3.
Both are very good and different sounding.
I understand why some would love the 417 and others the 7500.
With my speakers, my room, my dac, my music taste, my ears and the maybe different condition of both amps.

I prefer the 7500.
I also like the 417.
If I where looking for the most correct sounding of them.
Maybe more forward sounding music taste.

What I like with the 7500 is the roundness of the reverb, fullness, excellent bass, the drive and flow, more forgiving, organic sounding and a be there feeling even on low to moderate volume.
I'm just enjoying the music with it.
The cliche, Old records come 'alive" again

Last edited:
Sounds like you have picked a winner, great idea to demo both and get an idea how they both sound with your own speakers, how did you manage to do this?
If the AU-7500 has been rebuilt/restored and you can get it for a good price l would say go for it, there wouldn't be too many out there for sale like this. Has the owner given any details of what work was completed?

Both is from same seller, and he was going on a trip to his cabin that is close by.
Pure coincidence/luck and a great opportunity to find out approximately the timeframe of Sansui sound I prefer.
I haven't got the details on the work as of now.

Wonderful purchase, congrats. I’m sure it sounds great. If down the road you have any interest in the big boy, Sansui AU20000, I am offering mine up for sale. It’s wonderful, just need to sell it as we have our second child on the way. I can’t keep everything. If not, enjoy your new unit and congrats. :)

Back
Top Bottom