Sansui vs Technics Direct Drive

Tdogzthmn

I'm familiar with many of the DD turntables made by Technics and currently own an SL-1210 Mk2. Sansui is much newer to me and I've started looking into their direct drive turntables to see if they are comparable in performance to the Technics. I'm not big on automatic turntables but would like to find some models that are similar to the 1200 series. The two models that I'm aware of now are the SR-525 and the SR838. Are there others that I should be looking for?

<derail>
I traded my 525 for a Mitsubishi DP-EC10 many moons ago and haven't regretted it ...
</derail>

I'm familiar with many of the DD turntables made by Technics and currently own an SL-1210 Mk2. Sansui is much newer to me and I've started looking into their direct drive turntables to see if they are comparable in performance to the Technics. I'm not big on automatic turntables but would like to find some models that are similar to the 1200 series. The two models that I'm aware of now are the SR-525 and the SR838. Are there others that I should be looking for?

I can't speak for what condition my SL-1700 and SR-838 are in (haven't gone through them yet) but I can tell you that the rumble on my SR-838 is at the -70dB level whereas on the SL-1700 I have about -63dB. The Technics are probably easier to repair due to large number of units and fans? Between the two I prefer the SR-838, not just for the rumble, but both are great units.

The SR-636 also looked like a nice option if available.

I also worry about the lack of parts available for these tables which are much harder to find...

Any opinions on the XR-Q5 or XR-Q7? I don't own, but have been looking at one and considering.....
XR-Q5_1.jpg

I have an SR-636 and love it. It sounds even better than it looks.
Same arm as the 838. I am not 100% sure, but I have been told that Micro-Seiki designed the arm.

Well to answer the OP;s question, only one is a direct comparable. The SR 929, the one and only. It was the First to adopt the heavy weight synthetic subchassis , that technics copied later on.
This subchassis increases the mass of the table and makes it immune to outside unwanted interactions because of it's increased mass. Long story short. Get a SR 929 so you can find out for yourself. Watch out really nice 929's are expensive and rarely come out for sale in the known sale places like ebay and the like. It is a fabulous table which I own along with a SR 838 , and a TECHINCS SL1200 also. SL 1200 is a beautiful table , but the tone arm is years back compared to the 929's.
929 is the way turntables should be made.

The only Sansui TT I have is the SR-222mk1. Seems hard to find any decent Sansui direct drive models on eBay or Craigslist.

I have both the SR-838 & SL-1700mkII. The SR-838 seems to be a better arm but is a manual only table. The Technics is semi auto which can be handy at times but can have electronic - mechanical issues.

Any of the above tables are recommended.

Find one in nice condition that's been looked after, chuck a nice cart / stylus and enjoy.

I have both the SL 1200 and the SR-838. Both get used, I agree with lasinit2's assessment I give the edge to the 838. The 636 and 838 are nearly the same, so you might keep an eye out for the 636. Both are real lookers!

I have both the SL 1200 and the SR-838. Both get used, I agree with lasinit2's assessment I give the edge to the 838. The 636 and 838 are nearly the same, so you might keep an eye out for the 636. Both are real lookers!

Good advice.

One nice thing about the SR-838 and SL-1200 mkII share is a tonearm with adjustable height, for varying cartridge heights. This can be very beneficial when trying to set vertical stylus angle during setup. I guess the only other way to change it would be shims, and adding mass is generally not good.
The arm on the 838 is adjustable over a 7 mm range. Even a slight amount of slope one way or the other can significantly affect tone. The 636 has the same feature.
I don't think the semi auto and auto Technics models (like the 1700) have adjustable height tonearms, although they are plenty nice in other ways. There are probably cartridges that have "just right" heights for arms that don't have this capability, but it would seem a bit limiting. I guess it's just one more thing to consider.

One nice thing about the SR-838 and SL-1200 mkII share is a tonearm with adjustable height, for varying cartridge heights. This can be very beneficial when trying to set vertical stylus angle during setup. I guess the only other way to change it would be shims, and adding mass is generally not good.
The arm on the 838 is adjustable over a 7 mm range. Even a slight amount of slope one way or the other can significantly affect tone. The 636 has the same feature.
I don't think the semi auto and auto Technics models (like the 1700) have adjustable height tonearms, although they are plenty nice in other ways. There are probably cartridges that have "just right" heights for arms that don't have this capability, but it would seem a bit limiting. I guess it's just one more thing to consider.

I know that the 1700mkII has adjustable height same as the 1200 by turning the lower black ring.

SL-1700mkII tonearm
imagesQTL9UN6V.jpg
After restoration on my SL-1700mkII;
IMAG0103.jpg
My SR-838. There's just something special about the 838!
20160826_145557.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom