1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Sansui, we barely knew ya

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by jimbo2k, Jul 2, 2018.

1. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

It seems like the MP3 reasoning, size and convenience over sound quality.

- Pete

Nemo bit and johnny_fever like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jimbo2k

jimbo2k Adcom GFT500, 2GFA535,BandO RX2, MMC3,C101 L570's, Subscriber

And you need to relalize, there is quality, good sounding equipment out there that doesnt have the name Sansui on it, a lot of it. I sold and owned a lot of it. HK,Sony Luxman,Hafler, Adcom, Krell, Accuphase,Threshold, Mar Levinson, the list goes on. I have sold and owned Sansui, during the great years, and yes it is miles ahead of Pioneer, Marantz and the every day brands. I didnt choose lightly to go in another direction, The AU999, might be the best sounding Integrated amp made, I know that, but i wont have some elitist beating me up over my choices. The majority of you guys are great, and I would sit and have a beer with you and talk stereo anytime. Nuff said, I wont be back. Cheers jim

3. BigElCat

BigElCat Mmm Hmm Subscriber

Nobody say nuthin' .

Just turn out the lights, shut the air conditioning off.

Nemo bit likes this.
  4. tater415

tater415 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I traded away my Sansui G 9000 a few months back and have regretted it , I have been having withdrawals

5. playittwice

playittwice Well-Known Member

Yikes, I couldn’t imagine that move. I got rid of a lowly 661 and regretted it. They really are awesome pieces.

6. Hipocrates

Hipocrates Anti-Muppet Subscriber

And the bizarre thread of the year goes to...

Ok enough of this crap... Hey Loren, need a hand with some gear?:p

Nemo bit and slimecity like this.

7. playittwice

playittwice Well-Known Member

How are you?

Lol, I know what you mean about the bizarre thread. Yep still got my Seven in the rack waiting for rehab!

Nemo bit and Hipocrates like this.
  8. Hipocrates

Hipocrates Anti-Muppet Subscriber

I think you will like this info from gslikker, great stuff! (just in case you haven't read it)

playittwice likes this.
  9. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

Oooh I'd like to respond but to keep the peace, I'll keep my mouth shut.

- Pete

Nemo bit and Hipocrates like this.
  10. Nemo bit

Nemo bit Active Member

Wow take a little time away... :no::idea:

Hyperion likes this.
  11. smurfer77

smurfer77 AK Subscriber Subscriber

1) And, finally we get to subtext of the original post being spelled out; yes there is more to life than Sansui and lots of great brands out there. Getting agreement on which makes and models are the best is pointless though....the "Adcom over Sansui" argument in the Sansui subforum is especially pointless, unless the point was to troll a reaction out of us :p

2) The AU-999 is one of the worst sounding Sansui in stock form IMO. Ok, that was my old opinion and I have revised that harsh opinion a bit recently after revisiting, but the AU-999 is the only model I bought a bunch of unheard (based on lineage and comments on the forum) and then resold all 3 units without restoring them... basically within days of hearing them the first time (the strong reaction probably came from the fact I had just finished rebuilding a 777A and was hoping for a lot more from the TOTL ???). [edit: I now think the stock unit is ok, even with moments of brilliance let down by the original flaws I noticed immediately. After some mods, it's sublime.... actually, after some mods, it's an AU-888]. But, the AU-999 is not the best integrated amp ever made... I'm not even sure anyone in this forum would argue that very strongly.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018

12. slimecity

slimecity Super Member

Couldnt agree more on this point. I was wondering what the fuss was about when I first got my AU-999.

Then I got an AU-888 - in stock form it sounded leagues ahead of the stock AU-999 - absolutely miles ahead. To the point where a recap made negligible difference to the sound.

BLAH BLAH, smurfer77 and pete_mac like this.
  13. bolero

bolero Well-Known Member

I thought the 1st post in this thread was a passive aggressive troll too: didn't get the impression it was a friendly goodbye at all

" hey, I have a Sansui, but I decided this other stuff sounded way better. here are some pics! "

err....not surprised at the reactions :D

slimecity likes this.