Sansui X701 versus "modern" integrated amplifiers. Please provide some feedback

soundquest

Hi,
A member of audiokarma and a big Sansui fan suggested I post here for input.
Please provide some input.

I have a NM condition Sansui au-X701.
And, I'm about to change speakers so I'm evaluating options.

Yes, I agree, that AT THE LEAST, this is a great unit with outstanding build quality. But, How good is good? How good is a stock Sansui X701 versus any other great USED amplifier costing $500+ ?

I'd love to know if any of you have compared this model OR a similar model to more "modern" amps or integrated amplifiers. I mean, it's one thing to say they sound great, but "great compared to what?" Compared to which amps? What were the results of the comparison?

I'll post pix if there's interest in seeing them.

THANK YOU everyone for your input!

The only Sansui I have is a 9001. Comparing to "model" amps, the sound is warm and clean. But not so crispy. Thus, it is really your taste of the music.

Money wise, since it is a X701, the value will increase along time if you keep.

I have an AU-X701 - it shares the basic design of my current favourite Sansui integrated of all - the AU-D11 II.

I can compare it with my other integrated amplifiers, (AU-717, AU-919, AU-D11 II), as being clean and neutral, with nice soundstage, not really a warm presentation - but plenty of oomph down there when needed.

As for $500 - I have no idea what that would buy in the US.

I just bought one of these amps and for comparison to other amps that I have - it compares favourably with a Pioneer M22 poweramp, sansui 555a and 517 - and thats before a recap. Im suprised with how good this amp sounds and beleive that it would easily hold its own against the price range you talk about.

I continue to use my fully restored AU-X701 as my main amp. It is the most highly resolving and clean-sounding Sansui that I've personally heard. Many of the earlier Sansuis have a different flavour to the sound, and aren't quite as resolving, but still sound great.

In my experience, the 701 (and 901) are more than capable of holding their own against many very decent amps.

I'd imagine that $500 would buy you some fairly decent amps second-hand though, so it is really hard to say how the 701 would stack up against all options at this price point.

The only Sansui I have is a 9001. Comparing to "model" amps, the sound is warm and clean. But not so crispy. Thus, it is really your taste of the music.
Money wise, since it is a X701, the value will increase along time if you keep.

The AU-X701 sounds distinctly different to the earlier Sansuis like the 9001. Cleaner, tighter, more detail etc. They are very different beasts in a sonic sense.

The AU-X901 does sound quite nice.

But a bit Different than the 07 models (717/919/etc.). It's like more 'refined', but really very nice, fine. Just as 'deep' but not as much 'punch'... But plenty of punch.

It's the 'international' alpha, along with X701.

But it does sound... a bit different. Maybe more like an audiophile amp.

The AU-717 does sound more like a 'live' concert.

Last edited:
AU-X 701 is a excellent amp. All sansui a x balanced amps are excellent.
No chance , it will not drive adequately any speaker, except some power hungry low sensitivity electrostatics, but even then it will hold it;s own much better than some other integrateds.

$500 USD gets you this @ Bestbuys:
Pioneer - 1155W 7.2-Ch. Network-Ready 4K Ultra HD and 3D Pass-Through A/V Home Theater Receiver...
I couldn't find an amp similar to that Sansui...because they only sold 2 "stereo" items.
Both low end...
So living in a Stereo world is probably akin to driving a carburated car... IN some applications it will be OUTRAGEOUSLY powerful... but the MASSES need / want/ have been told Multi Channel with Dolby Digital is the bomb!

Movies and 2ch music are not the same beast...
So comparison is semi moot...

Mike

OOps I lied

$699.00
Marantz - 120W 2-Ch. Integrated Amplifier

Model: PM6005
Compatible with select loudspeakers; speaker A/B switching; HDAM (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module); reference-class CS4398 24-bit/192kHz D/A converter; shielded toroidal power transformer; headphone amplifier

AU-X 701 is a excellent amp. All sansui a x balanced amps are excellent.
No chance , it will not drive adequately any speaker, except some power hungry low sensitivity electrostatics, but even then it will hold it;s own much better than some other integrateds.

Interestingly, I tried a pair of Magnepan MMGs on my Sansuis last week. Sadly, none of them sounded 'right'. They don't sound the best with a resistive 4 ohm load, whereas they sound fantastic and drive a 'normal' 4 ohm speaker quite well (including some Dynaudios).

Last edited:
would be interesting if any one could compare it to one of the new class d amps - like the TPA3116 or some of the higher powered ones

Interestingly, I tried a pair of Magnepan MMGs on my Sansuis last week. Sadly, none of them sounded 'right'. They don't sound the best with a resistive 4 ohm load, whereas they sound fantastic and drive a 'normal' 4 ohm speaker quite well (including some Dynaudios).

Magnepans are great speakers.

But they aren't 4ohms resistive loads. Actually they get low as 1,5 ohm in the upper region. Sadly also they are quite insensitive. Around 85 87 db.
So they easily dry out many amps and 701 will not be an exception. Some sensitive protector cirquits might kick in quite easily with these speakers.
I have connected 911 dg in a pair of magies in the past and it was quite good , only because of the reinforced capacity bank in the power supply 125,000 μf. Eventually 911 run out of current at High volume . But till then it was holding it's own quite well.

would be interesting if any one could compare it to one of the new class d amps - like the TPA3116 or some of the higher powered ones

Class d amps are great for driving subwoofers.
They sound prety dry when called to play music.

Magnepans are great speakers.

But they aren't 4ohms resistive loads. Actually they get low as 1,5 ohm in the upper region.

Hmmm... Very interesting... This is contrary to what I've read elsewhere regarding the MMGs. They are supposedly very flat in this regard. You're definitely referring to the MMGs and not other models higher up the food chain, are you?

Well good for you to bring it up.
I wasn't talking about mmg's , but rather 20,1, 3,6 , 1,7 .
However manufacturer states 4 ohms, but the actual impedance is varying , from 1,5 to 4 ohms , for most of the maggies.

Last edited:
Well good for you to bring it up.
I wasn't talking about mmg's , but rather 20,1, 3,6 , 1,7 .
However manufacturer states 4 ohms, but the actual impedance is varying , from 1,5 to 4 ohms , for most of the maggies.

Ah, cool. I was specifically referring to the 'little' MMGs. :)

I have an AU-D11 II and a 701. (both reconditioned by me) They have similar resolving abilities - the 701 being the somewhat more clinical of the two. I can see exactly why pete_mac likes the 701 for electronic music especially, it is actually a very good all rounder.

My favourite is still the AU-D11 II, for me, a truly amazing amplifier.

I have never heard a 901 - I bid on one once but lost out and have never pursued another.

The AU-X901 has a clinical sound as well. Been told the 701 & 901 sound 'exactly the same', except for the power difference. And that was from a guy who had both. He sold me his 901.

Accurate, clean, precise, refined, audiophile: ... ' clinical ', is a really good word. Maybe the best word.

It does take 'a little' getting used to. Took me about 5 minutes! :)

Sounds like a more ' clinical ' AU-717. And I love the sound of the 717s! But the 717 does have much more 'flavor'. Like no flavor in the X901. It's all just pretty straight off the LP/CD.

The X901 is a great amp. I really love it. Hope it lasts forever! But it does sound slightly different, more 'Clinical' (much less...flavorless) :D.

The Japanese Sansui folks aren't all that hot on them, but they have a vast choice of High Quality Japanese only domestic Sansui alphas. But for a Sansui internationl amp...it's a hard amp to beat, hard to beat for most any company really. In my opinion.

Sounds great to me. :thmbsp: And when you use Source Direct, Tone, & Loudness (for lower listening volumes)...it's quite an amp!! Source Direct is outrageous.

I'm quite happy with this amp forever. No need to look for another. I'm happy, pleased, and totally content.

I don't know much about other companies new 'high end' amps but it seems to me the X901 is like a now-a-days lower 'High End' amp. Very Nice!! And for a Seventh of the cost of like a $4500 Bryston.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom