Sanyo DCX3300K Thrift Store Basket Case- Need Advice/ideas

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by Andy Lang, Mar 11, 2017.

?

Value?

1. Refund within 3 days?

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Keep/restore?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Fetch high dollars on Craigslist/Ebay?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Andy Lang

Andy Lang New Member

Spent $133 today at a thrift store going out of business for an (I think mid 70s) Sanyo DCX3300K. Nice, heavy unit. But it seriously needs some love, "Where do I start?"

I basically get no audio except some static when manipulating knobs (dirty potentiometers, right?). FM tuner seems all but dead, no audio and the only station it would appear to pick up, judging by (with no audio) the signal meter actually moving and the stereo indicator illuminating, is the 3Kw university FM station on the roof of the dorms next to mine, a few hundred feet away. With, yes, using a fair length of speaker wire for an antenna.

Tried all the obvious things like all the knobs, which speakers it was set to have turned on, etc, even tried plugging an external music source into the auxillary jacks and no luck.

Ideas? Also, what's it worth? Just return it within 3 days for a refund, or is this something I could resell on Craigslist for big bucks even as is?

2. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

Tuner are devices for true engineers in the repair world; not for novices. The list of equipment alone needed for tuner work would be a fortune and, even then, you would have to know how to use them. At the price you paid, if you can return it, I would.

3. swamppirate

swamppirate Super Member

Yep, I would take it back if able. Nice unit, but some probably serious money to repair.

4. Andy Lang

Andy Lang New Member

Update! I'm so stupid, the tape switch was in the wrong position, it lives! That said, it has scratchy knobs which need some work, but working them all back and forth several times (like 10-20) did help. It has a very "vinyl" like sound, is that just how these sound? Worth keeping now?

The tuner section needs love, it picks up ONE station, the one whose transmitter is on the roof of the building next door. In stereo though! Interestingly when I switch to FM mono the stereo light stays lit but the sound goes to mono, should that be like that?

With the master volume CRANKED it isn't as loud as it should be, and adjusting master volume can make one channel or the other cut in or out. So it's probably got some crud in there.

Overall, I think I'm keeping it: It needs love to be a "daily driver" but is a decent score, besides I'm sure if I took it back it would end up in the landfill. If someone else locally wanted it I'd sell it for what I have into it, $129, but otherwise it's a beautiful display piece if nothing else!