Sargent Rayment SR 17-17 pre amp - amp schematic.

MikeHL

Hi folks,

While looking for a winter project other than amateur radio I came across a Capehart 10-10B AM FM tube receiver record player and tucked on one of the cabinet shelf's was a Sargent Rayment SR 17-17. The unit is out of town and a buddy is bringing up when the driving conditions are better. The SR17-17 appears to dusty but other wise in very nice shape. It has EL84s in PP per channel, thus the 17 watts out. Would be a nice restoration for the family room. At this point I suspect it will only need a re cap and maybe some tubes.

I am looking for any help to find a schematic. I have tried numerous searches but with out luck. Appreciate any advice and assistance.

Cheers
Mike

Nice score. Sargent Rayment equipment appears to be well regard if ebay selling prices are any indication. I have a SR-534 EL-34 power amp, which appears to be the same power section as your unit utilizes. I have searched the net for several years on and off for a schematic, and a schematic for the preamp that would have came with mine with zero luck. Not much info on the Sargent Rayment stuff out there in general, probably do to their limited production. I did miss the correct preamp for my amp on ebay during a lax searching period several months ago. I would have bought it just so I could reproduce the preamp design. The preamp that came with mine utilized the power transformer from the power amp to power the preamp, which is probably not how I would prefer to do it. The build quality on the Sargent Rayment stuff is very nice, I changed the filter caps only on mine and it is dead silent, and has worked perfectly for several years. I think you are going to find out that you scored a very nice amp that will likely require little work to get up and running. Attached is a picture of mine.

Attachments

• DSC00129.JPG
    DSC00129.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. The 1717 will be here tomorrow as my buddy is coming up for a Christmas party.I suspect you are right on your suspensions that the amp portion is similar to yours SR534. Once I inspect it for the obvious I will test the tubes and give it some heat. If it requires help to get it working it will be a matter of trouble shooting it one part/section at a time. Having a schematic would make it easier especially if there are any parts that are unidentifiable. My present plan is a full restoration and then dig out those old vinyls.
I'll post some pictures once I have it. Cheers Mike

Update with pictures

Attached are the pictures of the SR 17-17 as it arrived. In decent shape and will make a nice restoration. Nothing immediately visible that appears to be an issue, very clean underneath. I cut the power cord as it was cracked and will replace before starting. Still looking for any help on a schematic. The amp section with EL84s in push pull is similar to the SR534. Cheers Mike

Attachments

• P1020613.jpg
    P1020613.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 89
  • P1020615.jpg
    P1020615.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 102
  • P1020617.jpg
    P1020617.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 90
  • P1020619.jpg
    P1020619.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 91
Wiring in that amp looks pretty well color coded, shouldn't be too hard to trace and draw a schematic, section at a time... I've found some schematics on the radiomuseum site...
Looks like a nice amp, good luck with it...

Looks nicely built. I see big transformers in there. Good ventillation too, which is something many integrated amps were not so great about.

Looks good, very similar if not identical to the parts quality and wiring utilized in my amp. I thought I had a bunch of pictures of the underside I had taken when I replaced the capacitors, but unfortunately I cannot find them. Like I said before, I would not be surprised if the filter caps is all you will need to replace to get it up and running. I bypassed the cap cans and used Axial electrolytic caps held in place by silicone underneath. Not pretty, but economical. Keep us posted on your progress, and have fun.

Schematic

Thanks gang for the feedback. There will be no problem or should be little problem in making up a schematic as suggested. Just need to basically do one side. With past projects there sometimes is a resistor as an example that is burnt but not in the this case and a working side can be used to compare voltages etc to a non working side if that is the case. I have found a few schematics of amps with similar tube configurations to assist.

Thinking ahead I will be looking for appropriate speaker sets. Cheers Mike

There is a pretty comprehensive article on S-R in a back issue of Vacuum Tube Valley magazine, now available on-line.

Nice looking amp. Enjoy it!

Thanks for the tip on the Vacuum Tube Valley magazines, great articles and reference. More than what I wanted to know about tubes ha-ha. Thanks! Mike

Mike,

Sargent Rayment made some nice equipment..Super easy to work on.

I have a SR534and SR5100 power amps and the SR8000 preamp/tuner.
The only intergrated I have now is the SR2051 awaitng it's last cap can replacement...I love the sound of them all...well worth any effort you put in them..!!

Schematics are to me, impossible to find...Still looking for one for the SR5100.

your SR1717 is a very clean unit(besides the dust) and set up right they run cool all day and sound great...a very nice amp...Congrats...:thmbsp:

Andrew

Hi guys, thanks for all feedback. Did a check over, replaced the power cord fired up the amp and it worked great even with a number of weak tubes. I used a CD player as sound source and hooked the amp up to a pair of ADS L520 speakers. Not sure if this is the right speaker set but will evaluate that once the tubes are refreshed and the caps are replaced. This unit will be worth an investment. Next point to consider is the degree of restoration. I have done many ham radios but this presents different challenges. Due to damage to the front face a it will be difficult to do a factory restoration look.
Also if you are looking more information on Sargent Rayment, issue #20 of the Vacuum Tube Valley does a nice job. Cheers Mike

Hello Guys! I just saw this thread, sorry for being late to the party.

I rebuilt an SR534 10 years ago, it was a hack job, with an oversized transformer and the tube rectifier taken out. I completely stripped it down and had some metal welded back to put back a right size transformer and a GZ34. I've included some notes I made while doing the rebuild (images 1-4). Since I didn't have any idea of the original power supply section, I copied one from a Heathkit AA-30.

About the same time, I also rebuilt my SR5100; this amp is a monster, with a big PT and double GZ34 rectifiers. I've attached a schematic and a technical note (image 5-6).

These were well designed amplifiers, the only negative would be the flimsy chassis they used.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 75
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 62
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 66
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 65
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 71
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 63
I stumbled across this post, the schematic (bottom left) has the fuse across the power input and would blow instantly, so watch for other mistakes in it.

Hope someone can help. A friend of mine found an SR-5100 at a local flea market years ago, missing output transformers. I have the power amp section of an SR-2051 integrated amp. Almost identical topology to the SR-5100. The output transformers on my SR-2051 have the part # "K/R MR-4315-A KMC 260". I'm hoping someone could check theirs, we might be able to put this SR-5100 back together. :)

HI everyone, I am so glad to find this thread. My father (87) bought a SR 17-17 years ago and has had it in a climate controlled storage room. He gave it to me recently and I wanted to practice on it. I am teaching myself to repair vintage audio equipment. Still learning to read schematics but wouldn't feel comfortable without some kind of instructions.
I was warming it up on the Variac. I was doing it slowly and watching it over a day and a half. When I turned it up from 110v to 120 volts the 2A slo-blo fuse blew with a pop and then I heard a spewing sound; smoke came from the same corner as the single GZ-34 tube, but from inside the chassis. I had not removed the bottom yet, so I don't know the exact source of the smoke. I did quickly touch the transformers, because I have had to replace those on a Heathkit W-A5 and a Dynakit ST70. I didn't want to have to source another transformer. But, they were all cool to the touch. As they had been during the entire warm up on the Variac.

I started looking for a schematic on 2-3 websites, and couldn't find a company website.

I started pulling the tubes and checking them. The GZ34 was a Zenith and it was bad. I replaced it with a new Mullard, the only one I had.

The four EL84/7189 tubes were all good and marked "Made in Holland" but the mfg name was worn off, so what are they?

Then I tested to two 6AN8 tubes and they were both good RCA tubes.

All tubes so far had been stenciled on the chassis.

Then I started testing what I thought would be four 12AX7/ECC83 tubes as per the markings just at the base of each tube. These four tubes all have insulators on them. The two on the back right were good although I could not read the manufacturers name. The two on the back left were marked 'Made in Holland' and pegged the needle on the tube tester to the far right. Either the tubes were really excellent, or something was wrong. I looked again at the tubes and they both were 12AT7 and not 12AX7 tubes. I looked it up and those tubes are not supposed to be interchangeable. However, in front of the two left sockets, in bold lettering it says "OR 12AT7". Meaning the 12AX7 tubes in those sockets could be replaced with 12AT7 tubes. I tested the 12AT7 tubes from the two left sockets to the 12AT7 specs and they tested good. I marked two boxes correctly and put the 12AT7 tubes in them and put them away.

So, I thought about it for a while and decided the 12AT7 marking was wrong, and the 12AX7 marking was right. I didn't have a schematic to check. It just seemed logical. I replaced the two 12AT7 tubes with good 12AX7 tubes and then used a black marker to cross out the printing that said "OR 12ATZ ".

Someone on another tread on AK told me when they wrote my initial story after this happened, that the smoke usually indicated the Canned Caps were probably blown near the power transformer, and maybe a cap that connects just outside of it. I guess my next task would be to pull that can, I don't see any stenciling on it like the other two cans have.

I must admit I am a little lost at this point. I have never rebuilt a can before. And, I am not sure what I am doing and where to go next. That mis-marking of two of the 12AX7 tubes has me a little suspicious of what I see.

Question- Could the 12ATZ tubes in two sockets where 12AX7 tubes should have been, have caused the GZ34 tube and the fuse to blow? Would it have likely have caused the caps in the can on the far left to have been damaged? And, smoke? What else should I check?

And, should I replace all capacitors, and resisters?

I can take photos of the bottom side now and post them. I took the bottom plate off and I don't see anything that looks burnt, discolored or out of the ordinary. I would really appreciate some help on this.

Thanks,
Couldbfishin
Houston, TX

IMG_3763.JPG IMG_3731.JPG IMG_3743.JPG IMG_3821.JPG IMG_3825.JPG IMG_3823.JPG

Ok, thanks gadget73. I did a search on AK and I see a lot of people use Hayseed Hamfest for cans. Now I just need to find who or what it is. I told you I was new at this.

I couldbfishin you know.

Ok, I found Hayseed Hamfest, and I like their website, easy to follow. They are back from vacation on Monday. I will pull the 3 cans and find out what caps are in them and what size cans and how many tabs they have. Two cans are stenciled. But I might as well pull them all out, I wanted to replace the caps anyway.

I do have another question, along the line of what should I be looking for. If I replace the caps, and plug this thing back in, do I risk blowing several tubes, or just the GZ-34 again? I think regardless, I need to buy some more GZ-34 tubes, and I don't have any 6AN8 tubes. If I have to replace many more components to teach myself, I may have to end retirement and go back to work.

If you have any suggestions, I am open.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom