'Sawtooth' banana plugs

davidro

Lunatic Member
I'm sold on this type of banana plug....just got some and replaced the old shitty flimsy shit I had before. Feels way more tighter and can tell the connector surface touches more of the input socket.

Yeah those are what I got.
I think pete_mac once recommended some even better types with soldering option for not too expensive.

I want him to come back to me :yes:

Nordost uses that style of plug. I bought the diy "solder" version for my speaker cables. I love those plugs.

Yeah those are what I got.
I think pete_mac once recommended some even better types with soldering option for not too expensive.

I want him to come back to me :yes:

MultiContact LS4 beryllium copper banana plugs are what you want. They are about $20 per set of five including delivery from RS Components in Australia. Most of the cheaper ebay versions are phosphor bronze which is 2-4 times less conductive (whether we'd actually hear a difference is a whole other matter! ;) )

Ernie:

Where did you get yours? A Google search only shows UK sellers

My local audio guy, Glenn Sinclair at Audio Two, here in Windsor.

They are just a few dollars each, but are just the metal. You need some shrink wrap to cover the part where you solder the wire to the plug.

Here are the ones I used. Some call them "rolled bananas", some, including Nordost, call them "Z-Plugs".

http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopexd.asp?id=850

Take Five Audio (AK sponsor) has them

http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=191&cat=Multi-Contact

You know what to look for, now.

My local audio guy, Glenn Sinclair at Audio Two, here in Windsor.

They are just a few dollars each, but are just the metal. You need some shrink wrap to cover the part where you solder the wire to the plug.

Here are the ones I used. Some call them "rolled bananas", some, including Nordost, call them "Z-Plugs".

http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopexd.asp?id=850

Take Five Audio (AK sponsor) has them

http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=191&cat=Multi-Contact

You know what to look for, now.

Ernie:

Thank You

:thmbsp:

I need a set of banana plugs when I was at Best Buy last year. They had a small selection and I ended up getting some AudioQuest Suregrip BFA plugs. They certainly grip tighter than my old "traditional" banana plugs (from Parts Express), and I love the way that they are adjustable.

They were expensive (to me) at $40 a pair, I have discovered KnuKoncept brand which seem identical and cost about $10 a pair on Amazon.

I'm sold on them, too. If you're on a budget, the offerings at Parts Express are nice for the money. I use them on both of my systems. This style of plug has far better grip than the spring-type bananas I've always used in the past.

I need a set of banana plugs when I was at Best Buy last year. They had a small selection and I ended up getting some AudioQuest Suregrip BFA plugs. They certainly grip tighter than my old "traditional" banana plugs (from Parts Express), and I love the way that they are adjustable.

They were expensive (to me) at $40 a pair, I have discovered KnuKoncept brand which seem identical and cost about $10 a pair on Amazon.
AudioQuest BFA banana plugs are a beryllium copper alloy which is an excellent conductor. The beryllium gives the alloy much greater strength and flexibility than pure copper. Many banana plugs are made of brass due to it's durability, although it's an inferior conductor.

MultiContact LS4 beryllium copper banana plugs are what you want. They are about $20 per set of five including delivery from RS Components in Australia. Most of the cheaper ebay versions are phosphor bronze which is 2-4 times less conductive (whether we'd actually hear a difference is a whole other matter! ;) )
The Aurealis Audio cables I have use these types of banana plugs or similar, very good IMO.

The Aurum Pro series connectors are quite nice ... they also have a sawtooth design. Screw the top off, slide the wire in with about a quarter inch stripped, spread out the strands evenly, and screw the cover back on ... is done!

No love for locking banana plugs? I have been using the ones that GLS Audio sells and I'm very happy with them. They use a center pin that pushes down the center of the plug causing it to expand locking it into the jack. Locks in good and tight until you unscrew the collar, than it releases. I paid 2.00 or 2.50 each. Decent quality, gold plated brass construction. Just a happy customer.

BillWojo

The locking banana plugs on the speaker cables I purchased from BlueJeans Cables are great on the back of the Maggies, and also on the back of whichever amp I am using. Both have banana jacks. With the Maggies sitting 3+ft. away from the wall, and I am constantly walking behind them, the locking plugs lessen the chance of unplugging one accidentally and causing a short. I don't think the Carver amp would like that.

Back
Top Bottom