Say hello to my little friends.

jimfet

Lunatic Member
IMG_0891.JPG IMG_0890.JPG IMG_0893.JPG

Was time to update my PC system. I was using a Dayton amp and an Eric audio single tube pre. The pre went out after nine years of use. So I decide to reclaim some desk space.

This is the Lepai lp7498e amp. On sale now at PE for $80. My speakers are 6 ohm so the amp is rated at 120 x 2 10% thd. At 90% it's 1%, below that its .1% So its pretty clean. On top I have a Douk Audio DZ preamp with 2 6j1 tubes. The tubes sound really good for cheap Chinese tubes, plus they gave me an extra. I have 4 GE replacement tubes on the way. This pre also has bass and treble controls which I am almost running flat. I have the bass cut just a little as everything is set up with my sound card EQ. The back I am using some RS banana clips that make it very easy to add speaker wire. This set up is very clean, clear, and spacious sounding. Very good bass. I run the amp at 3/4 and the pre most of the time at 12. If I wanna jam out I go to 2 o clock. It really sounds better than my old set up.

Now the speakers I built 9 years ago. They had plate amps built into them but they died 3 or 4 years ago, so I had to cover the plate hole with plexiglass and add a 3K crossover from PE. The woofers are Peerless 5 1/4 SLS 4 ohm and the tweets are Beston ribbons rated at 6 ohms. The back is ported. Got the cases from PE also. These are some really really nice near field speakers. Today if you buy the woofers PE says they only go to 1.5K. But when I bought them years ago at Madisound, they were rated for 4K and if you look at the graf, on them the chart show 4K. So don't believe everything you read and look at the charts. Well back to playing with my little buddies. Can't wait to get the GE tubes in.

Pretty fly for a desktop setup. Now you are making me want to introduce tubes into my "el cheapo" computer setup.

That preamp sounds even better with the GE tubes I use it with my Mini Watt amp, Mine is just branded as Zhilai. I hole punched a electric tape dot and covered the red led on the front. Nice set up there that you have.

DSCI0229.JPG

Last edited:
I'll probably wind up with 3 or 4 different types of tubes. Gota keep on rolling, rolling, rolling.

Back
Top Bottom