"Say Hello! to my new little friend"

Great idea. With extenders my Russians would really stand tall. Where did you find them?
I've run into extenders/socket savers on the auction site that act as converters. They're like what A-Wall has except they allow you to use 12ax7's. I wonder if it's too good to be true and mods really need to be made to the circuit first...but I'm considering picking a set up since I have a bunch of ax7's to roll through. Would love to hear if anyone else has already tried these. I'm really interested in the WE 396a's as well but, at least for the moment, it feels kinda goofy to buy tubes that cost 2-3x the price of the pre!

I can vouch for the WE's. They are the creme de al creme of small preamp tubes. Had four of them in a 2a3 SET amp and they were truly amazing. Wish I still had them but I sold the amp to a friend.

The Russian 6N3P-EV's are really growing on me. I rolled them back into the SainSmart and experimented with other driver tubes in my SEP amp (which takes a single 12at7). When using an RCA black plate or an Amperex driver tube in the amp, the Russian tubes sound great in the SainSmart pre. Fun stuff.

Ok I really like adding some SS to the outputtube, instead of the capacitor bypassed resistors, I really really like the LED's better than electrolytic's with the 510R. But the leds are a SS diode, so some will dislike it because of that:) It is a constant voltage sink, the ones I used are ~1.6V red, very low intensity, low ~constant resistance of about 6 ohms, 0805 smd

2rx75so.jpg

2nhkc4n.jpg

(Replaced the "Rubycon" 200V for Nichicon 250V same value, replaced the "Panasonic" for 10.000uF Nichicon too, and replaced the 100k load resistors inputtube for 33k like second stage, replaced the 4k7 cathoderesistors inputtube for 2k2, thus feedback is a little lower, gain a little higher, but inputtube no longer is operating in very unstable area. Oh also added some bypass PPfilm to 250V electrolytics and high voltage side of all load resistors, my loadresistors are flameproof too, just for peace of mind)
Ok I really like adding some SS to the outputtube, instead of the capacitor bypassed resistors, I really really like the LED's better than electrolytic's with the 510R. But the leds are a SS diode, so some will dislike it because of that:) It is a constant voltage sink, the ones I used are ~1.6V red, very low intensity, low ~constant resistance of about 6 ohms, 0805 smd

2rx75so.jpg

2nhkc4n.jpg

(Replaced the "Rubycon" 200V for Nichicon 250V same value, replaced the "Panasonic" for 10.000uF Nichicon too, and replaced the 100k load resistors inputtube for 33k like second stage, replaced the 4k7 cathoderesistors inputtube for 2k2, thus feedback is a little lower, gain a little higher, but inputtube no longer is operating in very unstable area. Oh also added some bypass PPfilm to 250V electrolytics and high voltage side of all load resistors, my loadresistors are flameproof too, just for peace of mind)
Hi, What value are the bypass caps?
Thank you.

Just a resurrection on this thread: I have purchased a completed unit - with a complete enclosure. I liked it so much, I purchased another. What motivated my purchase was this thread. The difference here is that it is complete, including a lovely housing. Its sturdy and immaculately finished. Its incredibly easy to disassemble and work on - just 4 nylon screws. It is very sturdy and should last a very long time.The orientation is such that the board is installed upside down, with the tube sockets on one side. The way it is installed means tubes get optimum clearance, without the need for socket savers (unless you feel the need to have your tubes stand up higher). Thankfully, no LEDs found on this device so none of that tacky looking blue lighting up of the tubes.The listing on AExprss shows a Guanzo board. However, on receiving it and opening it up for cap rolling, I saw it was called HolySound D1. In many ways identical to the Guanzo Board layout. Have not had the dreaded rectifier issue and flaw as found on Guanzo v 2.2 board.
The stock input and output caps were Evox Rifa MMK - good but lacking depth.The way the board is oriented means the caps are installed at the bottom facing a void within the enclosure. Plenty room within the enclosure to install larger caps. Ive had fun with the first unit. I've rolled some Russian PIOs, Audyn Copper Max, Mundorf M-Cap Supremes and finally settled on Jantzen Z-Cap Superiors (bypassed with Russian Silver Micas). The input couplers are Panasonic ECWFE caps (neutral and cheap). I've upgraded the main supply caps to Nichicon 250V. The transformer has been upgraded to an R-Core 230v (also found on AExprss) which is 230v AC to 170v AC (x2) & 6.3V AC (x2). I've been running the first one daily for approx 2 months now without any issues. The unit is dead quiet - no hum issues. Tubes rolled: GEs, Tesla 6CC42 (pinched), stock Chinese 6N3, CBS Haltron, Tung-Sol NOS, etc. To date, the best are the Russian 6N3P-E and 6N3P-I versions. Big bold bass, natural mids and clean highs.

Last edited:
As much as I liked the 6n3 Guanzo 3 tube and 2 tube I now prefer the $31 FX Audio Tube - 01 in my systems.

Poultrygeist, have you tried the Tube-01J version? Has anyone done a direct comparison of the two versions? I see there was also a Tube-01J Limited Edition (unavailable now).

Poultrygeist, have you tried the Tube-01J version? Has anyone done a direct comparison of the two versions? I see there was also a Tube-01J Limited Edition (unavailable now).

I would believe they are very similar except for the J's two position gain switch. Some think the 01 has too much gain but I need that extra gain.

There is at least one person on the lengthy FX thread that has both so you might look through those posts. I don't recall what he said in comparing the two. I do know the J version is lot more expensive.

In my current garage system I use the 6n3 preamp to feed it's signal to an Ashly active crossover then onto a pair of class D amps powering high and low frequency open baffle speakers. The 6n3 is in the wood case on top.

P1010013 2.jpeg

I have ordered one and will do a comparison. This hobby is addictive!
I would believe they are very similar except for the J's two position gain switch. Some think the 01 has too much gain but I need that extra gain.

There is at least one person on the lengthy FX thread that has both so you might look through those posts. I don't recall what he said in comparing the two. I do know the J version is lot more expensive.
Hi PoultryGeist,
after your mention of gain on the Tube-01, I decided on the Tube-03 (I don't need the extra gain at this stage).
I've had the Tube-03 for a few weeks now. Impressed!
Unfortunately, I couldn't leave well enough alone and proceeded with replacing the Epcos output caps with Panasonic ECWF 1uF 630v (x4) and swapping the opamps out with Muses8920 (J-Fet) - big difference indeed.
I also have been experimenting with rolling the tubes.
I tried the stock Chinese 6k4 tubes and I find they are actually pretty good and contrary to what some users have suggested, I don't think that they are junk. I am quite surprised at how good they actually are. I have also tried Russian 6K4P (Nevs) - also rather good and quite "spacious" sounding. I then tried Russian 6J1P-EV (Voskhods) - these are really good and will stay in the unit. I had read other users have had similar experiences and preferred the Russian 6J1P-EV vs GE5654. I read and saw test results on another forum that showed the GE5654 lose their 2nd-Order harmonics after a short period of sustained use, whereas the Russian 6J1P maintain that harmonic distortion.
I was curious as to the improvements made with the Japanese only release of the Tube-03J+ so I have ordered it and wait for it's arrival. The Tube-03J+ has the option to bypass tone controls and add gain (similar to the Tube-01) by means of dip switches at the bottom of the unit.
With the mods I have already made on the Tube-03, I am pretty impressed with this little preamp.

I still use my Guanzo "Clone" (HolySound D1 posted earlier in this thread). I cannot say it is better than the Tube-03, nor worse. It is different and certainly does elevate the sound of certain music, especially traditional Jazz, which it does significantly - those "sub-bass" deep notes and the soundstage/ presence - wow!. I like both these devices and both do a good job and all that at a good budget price. I like the case on the 6N3 preamp you have in your system (on your photo you posted). Did you make it? Nice job.
I will probably add my experiences and some photos of the mods to the Tube-03 on the "other" monster thread - once I've had some time with the Tube-03J+.
I'm still looking out for similar devices, just simply due to my curiosity and this being an addictive hobby.
Just a shout-out of thanks to you for all your input and also for recommending the FX-Audio devices.

Last edited:
Glad you're having fun with the FX. The wood case I used with the Guanzo 6n3 two tube is available at most craft stores like Michaels or Hobby Lobby for around $5.

The extra gain of the FX is much appreciated with this TPA3116 amp which powers some outdoor speakers on my porch. The FX really benefits from a linear regulated power supply vs it's stock wall wart. The 13.8v Pyramid at $30 is an excellent choice.

P1010011.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking back through this thread I realized the picture of my 3 tube Guanzo disappeared. After 10 years I suppose that's normal so here it is again. The case is made from kitchen drawer inserts.

P1210009.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom