Scam alert!

Sorry if I upset anyone with this post.
Yes, it was foolish of me. Yes, it had every red flag. Yes, I nearly completed it all the way through, anyway.

I have bought items on CL that were not local and needed to be shipped before, superchargers in fact.

I let my excitement get the best of me and as such I was fooled for a while.

I think I see another scam here - http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/ele/5213838762.html
and
eBay item number:

Maybe not, but he just joined eBay on the tenth. I thought the ad on CL looked fishy when I saw it last night. I think this is the same "Dave". On the other hand, his face is in the reflection of the picture if it is.

Maybe the forum needs a place that it makes sense to post these scam alerts... if there are people specifically targeting the audio enthusiasts, we ought to look out for one another when able, no?

This guy is using pics from old ebay listings. Search for an image in any ad and see if it is available from another source on the interweb. If it is not an original photo, that's what they call in detective novels, a clue.

I have an 8050 and would not even sell it for that low a price. If it too good to be true, it probably is.

I really don't think they gIve a crap. If you pay you get the protection, if you don't pay, you don't get it. I am surprised they refunded they op's money. "Jeff" is everywhere BTW, and he knows EXACTLY what AKers lust for. He can generate any call back number and is most likely not in the US.

That's what I thought about PayPal. I'm surprised they didn't just say "So sorry..." due to friends and family payment.

The beauty of "Jeff's" scam is that he let's YOU talk him into shipping and paying in advance. With the huge volume of ads he has up at any one time, and the never ending supply of "savvy shoppers" out there, I bet he's making some serious coin. I'm almost %100 sure he's located outside the US, so he's pretty much untouchable.

Here's how you can spot a Jeff scam:

>Always a bad phone connection, always with a creative reason (I'm on a fork lift!)
>Always an AK lust piece. I bet he's a member or at least a serious lurker.
>Fantastic price
>It's usually his dad's and in mint condition. He doesn't really know much about it and just wants to get rid of it. That's your "tip off" as to why you are going to get such a fantastic deal.
>He's always ready and willing to ship after you twist his arm a little and agree to pay in advance.
>The creative thing is the phone number that's "local" to the Craig's listing area. Because he doesn't actually have anything to sell, he just ignores "local" inquiries. He's fishing for distant bargain hunters. My best guess is that he's actually in Costa Rica.

BTW Jeff is now going by "Larry."

Last edited:
From the original post:

He wanted to be paid via Paypal friends and family. I sent him the money (plus extra to cover fees) via Paypal goods and services. He refunded it immediately and (suddenly cold) said that he was sorry we could not do business. I freaked out about my lost sale and paid him immediately via friends and family.

So who agreed to pay the extra ebay fees for this "ridiculously high" buy it now price?

They "settled" on an "offer" for the lower (real) price. Fees are based on the selling price, not the asking price.

Curious, did PayPal have anything to say about you using friends and family to make a purchase of goods?

Nope, not even a hint of question. They even thanked me for all the great business with them. I did explain that I had tried to pay G&S first, so I suspect that is a huge part of it.

The original poster was asked to pay via f/f but paid via goods and services, and the scammer refunded him.

Then I paid by F&F - but PP was good enough to refund it.

This guy is using pics from old ebay listings. Search for an image in any ad and see if it is available from another source on the interweb. If it is not an original photo, that's what they call in detective novels, a clue.

He addressed this possibility in one of the calls and told me to check the images if I liked. That may have been a bluff, as I did not.

That's what I thought about PayPal. I'm surprised they didn't just say "So sorry..." due to friends and family payment.

No, they were really helpful. I will be using their services much heavier when the option is available after this - they really came through for me!

Following the negative feedback on his ebay listing, his name is revealed as David Culver.

That was the name he was using with me, as well. I suspect it was the latest un-flagged version of his email address.

The biggest problem I have is my locale. Most everything has to be shipped because the only nearby market of any size is Minneapolis, 250+ miles away.
Ah, well - the other deals I made lately seem to be legit and working out.

Last edited:
The biggest problem I have is my locale. Most everything has to be shipped because the only nearby market of any size is Minneapolis, 250+ miles away.
Ah, well - the other deals I made lately seem to be legit and working out.

oldboats, consider getting a Barter Town subscription and deal with other forum members for gear.

Everyone I've dealt with either buying or selling was superb.

I believe David Hannum made a famous quote regarding things like this,though it is usually attributed to P.T Barnum.
:smoke:
The major flag,the single biggest red light with loud sirens and bells going off should have been when he refunded your money instead of just asking you to cover the fee's.
Once bitten.....hopefully now you will recognize some of the warning signs.
Me personally...CL transactions in person.
But even then be careful !

I just read your post about PP refunding you the money. Great news !

Last edited:
Following the negative feedback on his ebay listing, his name is revealed as David Culver.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

Yep, there was a guy who got refunded his paypal payment once because he refused to send the money F&F (no protection) and the money was promptly refunded within 12 minutes. The sellers name was Jeff but the refund came in the name of none other than David Culver,,,,,,, and I still have a copy of that refund to my paypal account.

oldboats, consider getting a Barter Town subscription and deal with other forum members for gear.

Everyone I've dealt with either buying or selling was superb.

I will be using that as a resource in addition to everything else, for sure.
You did notice that I am (and have been) a subscriber, right?

I know this post over 2 years old but this “person” is still at it.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/ele/d/marantz-2270/6387205266.html

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/d/kenwood-kr-9600-receiver/6387025695.html

He’s selling a Marantz 2270 with LED conversion too. I keep flagging his posts hoping Craigslist will get wise but no luck so far.

Now he goes by Dave or Richard. Some words of advice: if it’s too good to be true, it’s a scam. The phone number seems to be consistent. (602) 397-5469

Don’t fall for it.

I know this post over 2 years old but this “person” is still at it.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/ele/d/marantz-2270/6387205266.html

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/d/kenwood-kr-9600-receiver/6387025695.html

He’s selling a Marantz 2270 with LED conversion too. I keep flagging his posts hoping Craigslist will get wise but no luck so far.

Now he goes by Dave or Richard. Some words of advice: if it’s too good to be true, it’s a scam. The phone number seems to be consistent. (602) 397-5469

Don’t fall for it.

Here's an ongoing thread started in August on this dirtball scammer.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/watch-out-for-this-guy.782922/

S.C.A.M. - someone comes along mindlessly. Confirmation bias - you believe it to be true, so it is. There are two kinds of people in this world - those who have been scammed, and those who will be. The difference? The severity of injury. Don't worry about it, learn from it. I feel for you.

I saw that 2270 ad in my area recently (same photo, same ad / wording, maybe Toledo?). Didn't flag it at the time as I didn't know, but kind of figured it was just MRG again (I guess not) as he fishes up here occasionally.

So, I phoned the above number )603 397 5469) and got a "you have reached 603...) message and didn't respond/hung up.
Ten minutes later a call-back, a synthesized voice message mentioning Dave and you want info on the receiver?
Wow-assembly line scamming! Left him a message, sic: so Dave, you're a ****ing scammer! News has even reached NJ. Why don't you get a real job?
Maybe more should wish him well @603 397 5469?

Back
Top Bottom