scammed on craigslist for a Pioneer SX-1250

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by corpblues, Oct 2, 2017.

1. corpblues

corpblues AK Member Subscriber

I bought a pioneer SX-1250 off craigslist. It was listed at $800 and I thought I was getting a good deal at $750. I had the seller send me videos of it working prior to buying it. I did share with the seller that I resale most of my purchases and 10% goes to St. Judes Childrens Hospital. I thought he agreed to $750 instead of $800 from a good place...

After getting the receiver home, it did not pass protection mode. Physically it looks in good condition and I don't see anything obviously wrong inside. But at a minimum I estimate it will cost me $200-$300 to have repaired, perhaps more. So I probably did not lose all my money...

After looking again at the video he sent, the guy gave me a different receiver than the one in the video he sent. The wood grain is clearly different. And the one he gave me has a scuff on the etched SX-1250 and the vidoe does not. Also the one he gave me has some dirt and a dead bug behind the glass, the one in the video does not.

I should have sniffed his out as I asked to meed at Starbucks so I could do a quick power on check. He objected and got frustrated. He said why did he spend the afternoon making and sending the video. He stated he would sell it to another buyer for the full $800 who would also come to his house. He was only selling it to me as I was first in line. So I caved and agreed to meet him at the original location where I would not be able to test it. Lesson learned, do not get overly excited when buying something and not check it out in person.

I requested a full refund and I return the receiver. Also offered a 1/2 refund and I keep the receiver. No response from the seller from email or text.

Who has more than one SX-1250 to pull this type of scam anyway? Pretty good scam I suppose.

I am still hoping this is resolved fairly but it does not seem to be heading that direction. I'll file a police report but will be surprised if it goes anywhere. Still also hoping this was sometype of mistake and not intentional act.

Be on the watch out for a big and heavy set guy in a black ford flex with custom wheels in the Bedford / Fort Worth, Texas area. If it proves to be a mistake and resolved fairly, I'll post it was.

2. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

Starbucks is a standard meeting place for my CL stuff, either as buyer or seller. Public place with outlets. Very reasonable request. Not going to harp about your choice, you already know.

The seller may have committed wire fraud by transmitting deceptive images to you. The police may be interested if it is a slam dunk case. Unfortunately, you will not be able to prove to them that you received the wrong unit.

On the plus side, at least you have something. A re-cap of the power supply board could clear the protection issue. Or it could be something as simple as DC offset adjustment.

biscuithead and mstrane21 like this.
  3. nolasally

nolasally AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sorry to say but the police will do nada for you. They will not take a report. You are now the proud/not so proud owner of a sx-1250 needing work. The seller now has 750.00. You should have gone to sellers home to verify or met in public space where you could have tested with a speaker. I would have paid the extra 50.00 for that priveledge. Craigslist is the wild west.. At least it wasnt a 3,000 car that the trans crapped out on you on the way home from sellers house. Live and learn... Sorry to be the one to say it. Better luck on the next CL deal...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  4. corpblues

Would the wood grain not be proof of fraud? Wood grain is like a fingerprint.

My mistake for jumping in too quick.

This hurt the pocket book and will hinder my sell donations to St. Judes for a bit. Sad there are people like this scammer out there.

I'm embarrassed but sharing my story to help others.

5. corpblues

It does power on, guess that is called the soft start. Sometimes the protection relay will kick in momentarily but then kick right back off.

I will probably have it checked out by a professional tech to at least know what I'm dealing with. Would hate to sell it for needs repair price if the repair is simple. But throwing good money after bad is really hard.

Is there a D.C. Offset that a novice could check and adjust? If so can some guide me? I do have a meter if helped how to check it.

6. restorer-john

restorer-john Super Member

So you've got a great condition SX-1250 with what sounds like a minor problem. Look on the bright side, it's a lovely receiver and it will be better once fixed up by a decent tech.

:)

mstrane21 and Hyperion like this.
  7. nolasally

nolasally AK Subscriber Subscriber

One other thought here. Novices should not be buying TOTL units for big dollars period. For a 100.00 I would say sure buy it sight unseen working or not. Best to buy a sx-780 or 750 for 50.00 and flip for 200. Greater % profit with a whole lot less risk...

8. corpblues

I have a tech I have worked with on several items. He is an hour drive but worth it. I have been buying and selling to work my way up to the totl units.

I sell the lower units to build up funds for the totl units and give 10% of sales to charity while doing so. I have a great 9090db for my office and a sx-1010 for the living room doing this. I was going to upgrade from the 1010 to the 1250.

I do have a very nice sx-1080 up for sell currently and a couple lower end units. I like the 1010 sound better than the 1080, so selling the 1080.

I've considered this a win win honby and only met great people until today. This is the first and probably last time I ever go above $250 buying something. I've done okay until today and consider this a temporary but painful setback.

mstrane21 likes this.
  9. kyonthinh

kyonthinh Member

You can also build yourself a dim bulb tester and self repair it. I have no previous experience with repairing nor audio but i did manage to repair and recap my 1250 with the help of people here, so I think you can do it if you spend some of your precious time on it.

10. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

IMO, the SX-1010 sounds better than the SX-1250. You'll be selling the 1250 in short order...unless you can pair with HPM-100 or L-100 and then the dull sounding 1250 starts to make sense.

I built up my collection the same way. Had my fair share of scores and rip-offs along the way including an outright theft.

11. byoungman1

byoungman1 AK-47 Subscriber Subscriber

What you can do is post scam alerts on Craigslist, with the guy's phone # and/or email address, so that others are aware.
    Granted, it won't get you your money back, but it may keep the guy from acquiring other victims.

slowpat and darkblue94 like this.
  12. ferninando

ferninando AK Subscriber Subscriber

as with ALL cyberspace buys , U Pays Ur Money and U takes Ur chances

13. Bob

Bob AK Subscriber Subscriber

There's an opportunity here to make something really positive out of this.

if you learn to fix this, documenting it, and posting it to AK means more kudos to you.

Your learning curve means others (many) will follow the same road. that list of
    things to check, in that order, and any side paths, means a guide to fixing amps.

What I see here are thousands of non-related threads that deal with the same
    problem (amp in protection - what do I do?) and each and every one generates
    hundreds of threads as we walk them through basics of DBT, VOM, schematic
    readings, and many times, the OP gives up or fixes it and no one knows it unless
    they spend days searching. and the fix for that Marantz receiver is pretty close
    to the same fix as for that 1990's NAD power amp, and especially the troubleshooting
    is identical, the testing and prep is identical. But the magic trick is hidden inside
    the 56th thread of one of hundreds on a specific model.

In my high-tech days, before online tech support, my personal policy was answer
    the question the first time, document the problem if it EVER comes up again, and
    if it requires you to be on site fixing broken databases without sleeping til you're done,
    then write a program to extract the data and re-build. that way you sleep and someone
    else baby-sits the rebuild.

However, there's enough good souls here at AK, the masses of broken equipment
    gets special, individualized, free troubleshooting.

Kudos, brownie points, Karma credit, and congrats to those who help.

mtlmn1971 and wlhd1610 like this.
  14. ferninando

ferninando AK Subscriber Subscriber

all u gotta do is ask

wlhd1610 likes this.
  15. wlhd1610

wlhd1610 Penny and her new friend Subscriber

I've restored/rebuilt far worse basket case 1250's for clients who've paid $500-600 for them beforehand.
    It's a nice sought after receiver so you're already ahead of the game!
    It won't be that difficult to get it going.

Bob

Leland47 and Bob like this.
  16. Bob

Bob AK Subscriber Subscriber

@wlhd1610 - good for you.

let's see if the OP turns near disaster to audio epiphany - and besides -
    by the time it's fixed and possibly enjoyed, the TOTL Pioneers and
    Marantz receivers will go up another couple hundred $$$.

easy solutions & satisfying solutions.

17. elitopus

elitopus Super Member

When I first saw the thread title, I assumed it was a shipping scam, and the OP never received the SX-1250.

Good to hear he does have the receiver, and it sounds like a minor issue to fix.

I know the guys here can help get it up and running:thumbsup:

18. mattsd

mattsd AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yep, sounds like a minor fix, most likely something the OP can do if he's willing. @corpblues, if you're willing to try and fix it yourself, post a thread over in the Pioneer forum, there are several of us (myself included) that will help you through troubleshooting it and repairing it.

19. corpblues

Thanks everyone I will open a new thread for the repair. If I can get it working without too much expense I won't be too harmed. Hopefully at least break even. The totl sx's do seem to be increasing in value rapidly.

Thanks to those that refrained from the "you should have known better" comments. Of course I should have,

I did send the details to the local PD but don't expect any action. But hopefully it puts the seller on their radar.

20. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

Well if you remove the pull this scam part, I believe there are a number of AKers with multiple big receivers of different brands. Having two SX-1250s doesn't seem a stretch for AK, folks here love that big Pioneer gear.

Hope this has a great outcome. A bit of work and this one is Serviced and should command even more. Hopefully enough to more than cover the cost of the work.